Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap the safe pass scheme.

Options
  • 17-10-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

After the most recent revelations at FAS. There has to be a root and branch review of everything that this agency is involved with.

I had the misfortune of sitting through two safe pass courses and as I’m sure, others will attest, it is the greatest load of sh1te ever devised.

Now, I clearly understand that health and safety should be the primary concern in any workplace, but I believe that the safe pass scheme is just a money spinner.

I would suggest its time for a new industry led safety scheme with modules tailored for the industry involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

At last some makes sense!! i agree 100% a hundred euro and a wasted day to sit through someone talk crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Have to agree with you there. It's a joke of a course, it needs to be much tougher. Right now you're essentially just paying for a piece of plastic and not learning anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Have to agree with you there. It's a joke of a course, it needs to be much tougher. Right now you're essentially just paying for a piece of plastic and not learning anything.

I learnt that eating too many breakfast rolls can lead to heart disease and rats are attracted to food in open bins! Thank God I woke up for that bit of vital information.

I have to confess I was discreetly listening to the radio on my phone for a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If they had any sense they should make safe pass similar to driver theory test there is no escaping doing some learning then.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Yep what a waste of a day going thru the motions so that the complete morons of the world can finally pass an exam for the first time in their lives

• Advertisement

I always thought the purpose of these type of course were to cover the employer in case a employee gets hurt so their not liable and not to pass on useful or potentially life saving information, there seems to be no motivation for a course you could fail if you didn't pick up the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

My own view would be the same it's just a money making scam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

For a greenhorn starting out on site it is an ideal course , just to make them aware of the dangers on site , but it is a total joke making guys sit it every 4 years , it should be scrapped.

It takes them months to issue the safepass card even after you have suffered though the day sitting down listening to it again. They should have them ready & printed off the evening you finish the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

In Australia you only have to do the course the once & you get the card same day. The safe pass course hasn't as much of a demand for it now so it should be reviewed or scrapped. I was looking at the evening Herald earlier you can do the course now for €65 in some places

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Have a dutch one and is complete useless here
    This one costs 1200 euro and took 6 months to get and if u pass its for life
    With this pass u were allowed on bigger an industrial (building)sites
    Only thing was u had to go on course every 5 years again costs just 50 eu
    rules are chancing
    The course here was complete crap and i did know much more to tell than the teacher
    Were guys knowing nothing and still passes the test fools
    Its just for the money and nothing more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Why don't they just give you the test 1st thing in the morning, send you off for a cup of tea for 30 minutes, correct the exam and those who fail stay for the day while those who pass can go? Its a fecking racket and an embarassment and insult to intelligent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

completely agree. what a waste of a day.

i had never read a news paper cover to cover before the safepass day. was going to die from boredom. had to do something.

waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I did the safe pass course on the site of a major American computer manufacturer on the outskirts of Dublin a few years ago. There were about 6 Japanese lads who hadn't a word of english on the course too. They had to sit there and listen to a guy they couldn't uderstand all day and then they were handed an exam they couldn't read - which miraculously all of them passed with flying colours. The instructor just stood beside them during the exam and pointed at the correct answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SIX PACK wrote: »
    In Australia you only have to do the course the once & you get the card same day.

This is completely wrong.
    You don't get the card the same day,
    You may have to do it more than once as its a different card for each state,
    And the aussie one is even more idiotic than the irish one to begin with

Advertisement