Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mame Cab PC Specs

Options
  • 17-10-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, another quick note of the planned Jamma Cab conversion. Ive procured a screen on adverts, so its time to start spec'ing the guts. I have a mid range Asus mobo (cant remember the model, its residing in the attic for now), so I plan on putting a Core2Duo 2.2/2.4ghz alongside that. I want to use MameUI64 so Ill put a fairly standard 4gb ram in with it too.

I also already have a 320gb sata2 drive which Ill partition for OS/MAME. I also have the obligatory spare keyboard/mouse set. I also have (yes I know Ive a lot of spare pc junk) a 7.1 speaker kit which is complete overkill, so that will be used as 2.1 setup. Ill need a power supply, which Ill decide on when I get some advice on my last required part...

I need a grahpics card (pcie x16). Im fully aware Mame is software based only, but as I noted in a previous thread, Id like to use the likes of Viva Nonno, Nebula, maybe NullDC and some of the later emulators which utilize hardware acceleration. Id prefer an Nvidia card as I dont like ATI at all, and I think to avoid immediate bottlenecking, Id like to have 512mb ram. Can anyone offer any advice on whether a card like this is overkill/underkill?

Cheers Guys

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Think about the games you really want to play.... Most of them where released in the early 00's at the latest. The only emulator that will push a modern card is the model 2 emulator. Just stick a least 2gb of ram in your cab and make sure you get the best processor you can afford or the motherboard will take.

The only real reason to spend a lot of cash on a GFX cars is if you plan to emulate any of the newer consoles in your cab. If I was you I'd save my cash till I knew an emulator really needed the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers LoGiE - so you reckon a fairly standard Geforce Card with 256mb ram will do the job as far as and up to model 2 yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Why are you using mameui64?
    If you are going to use emulators other than mame you will more than likely be running a frontend(hyperspin is a nice one, needs a dual core at least) and you would be best running commandline mame and maybe shell windows direct to your frontend.

I'd stick with the 4gb myself, I've only 2gb as thats the most my motherboard supports but i'd love to goto 4gb

If you are planning on using the original monitor(best option imo) you'd be best off to buy an arcadevga or use an application something like soft15khz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Mamewah and Maximus arcade are worth taking a look at as well.

Advertisement