Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hip-Hop Gig

Options
  • 16-10-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Whats the best gig you've been to?

For me its hard to choose. Saw J5 in vicar st twice.
    The first one I went to was amazin, not sure of the date.
    When I went I only knew a couple of their tunes and afterwords I searched for everything by them:rolleyes:
    The other one was probably atmosphere.
    I had been waiting so long to see him. It was great at the start he signed things and got into photos with fans:)
    Talib was also pretty cool.

How bout everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hmmm. Unfortunately, haven't been to as many hip-hop gigs as i would like. Being the only person i know who actually likes hip-hop, its hard to get others to go along!

For me, best gigs have been cypress hill, talib kweli and pharaoh monche.

Say cyrpess hill at the eminem anger managment concert in punchestown a few years back. although it is hard to get the same atmosphere at such a big gig, i thought they were amazing. i had obviously gone for eminem, same as everybody else. had only a passing interest in cypress hill, but i thought they really rocked it. considering most people there had probably never heard of them, they had the whole of punchestown singing along to all "pigs". thought it was amazing how they controlled the crowd.

Talib was amazing, really worked the crowd, and had the place going bananas. pulled a couple of people up on stage afterwards, and stayed there rocking with the dj.

best of the bunch for me was pharaoh! it was an amazing show, live band, mela machinko and another girl doing vocals as well. really had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands. did an amazing cover of sunday bloody sunday too. when simon says came on, a riot nearly broke out. jeru the damaja opened that night as well - again, considering i hadn't really heard any of his work before that, he really got the crowd going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

floggg wrote: »
    Hmmm. Unfortunately, haven't been to as many hip-hop gigs as i would like. Being the only person i know who actually likes hip-hop, its hard to get others to go along!

For me, best gigs have been cypress hill, talib kweli and pharaoh monche.

Say cyrpess hill at the eminem anger managment concert in punchestown a few years back. although it is hard to get the same atmosphere at such a big gig, i thought they were amazing. i had obviously gone for eminem, same as everybody else. had only a passing interest in cypress hill, but i thought they really rocked it. considering most people there had probably never heard of them, they had the whole of punchestown singing along to all "pigs". thought it was amazing how they controlled the crowd.

Talib was amazing, really worked the crowd, and had the place going bananas. pulled a couple of people up on stage afterwards, and stayed there rocking with the dj.

best of the bunch for me was pharaoh! it was an amazing show, live band, mela machinko and another girl doing vocals as well. really had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands. did an amazing cover of sunday bloody sunday too. when simon says came on, a riot nearly broke out. jeru the damaja opened that night as well - again, considering i hadn't really heard any of his work before that, he really got the crowd going!

Where did pharaoh monche play??

Yeah I was at that talib show. He was chattin away after too... recoreded my voicemail message on my phone:D

Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Where did pharaoh monche play??

Yeah I was at that talib show. He was chattin away after too... recoreded my voicemail message on my phone:D

The village - same summer as desire dropped i think.

Yea, talib show was great. he cut the music at one point during good to you - when he goes "scream it like you all in pain", i guess i let out the loudest shout, so he cut the music and told the rest of the crowd to give it as much socks as i was giving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lord Jules

Public Enemy Vicar St and Tripod. Savage performances. Chuck D is the original MC. Immortal Technique in Andrews lane. The peoples rapper, tried to down a Bulmers and failed, not with the Guinness though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Arsonists many years ago was brilliant.
    Shabazz The Diciple was brilliant
    Pigeon John & Ugly Duckling a few years back in Ri Ra
    Aesop Rock and C Rayz Walls also in Ri Ra
    Jeru The Damaga in the POD
    Buck 65 in Whelans

many other great gigs i cant think of...oh yeah, Gangstarr and Big Shug

As for the worst......Ghostface in The Village

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Arsonists many years ago was brilliant.
    Shabazz The Diciple was brilliant
    Aesop Rock and C Rayz Walls also in Ri Ra

The Shabazz gig was a great one especially because even though i was big into him at the time i expected him to be crap live

I played support at that Aesop gig - C ray is one cool dude.

Memorable gigs for me were

Gangstarr/Jeru/Big shug/Blade and DJ pogo in the Tivoli in 94 the best hip hop gig by far i was ever at in this country.

Dilated peoples in the pod.

Run DMC in the savoy in cork

Public enemy in the SFX

Dj Noize and Supernatural in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

As for the worst......Ghostface in The Village

Ghostface at The Tivoli (place off Thomas St??) was much much worse, trust me. It was full of absolute scum and he was just awful on the mike that night.

Did no-one go see Jay-Z in the point? Brilliant gig altho was up front in the pit for that. Highlight was when he was playing Big Pimping and dropped the music for people singing along too and i think only about 30 of us in the pit knew the words... He enjoyed laughing at that!

Mos Def in the Village was class as was El-P in Button Factory. Nas in Tripod was pretty good although that was generally down to a great crownd atmosphere. Immortal technigue in that Andrews Lane place was also good.

Pharoahe Monch in Tripod was really good, went straight from work wearing a suit, pretty balling i thought :D Also i thought jeru tha Damaga stole the show as support and then came down into the crowd afterwards to mix with people.

DJ Yoda first time i saw him in Crawdaddy complete with video show, one of the best gigs i was ever at.

I'm going to throw this in here anyway even tho isn't hip hop, Eryka Badu was tremedous. Gig went on for over 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

BEST blackalicious / mc supernatural in red box the roots WORST So so many poor hip hop gigs, Ghostface (Village/Tivoli) Talib Kweli (Village) but the worst has got to go to Rahzel (village), biggest waste of time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Been to a good few gigs and the ones that stand out are in no order

The Perceptionists (love these live. Lif is brilliant)
    Brother Ali (seen him in Dublin with Atmosphere. Great show)
    Outkast (Amazing. B.O.B. probably created the best atmosphere for any gig i been to)
    Immortal Technique (Missed Dublin but seen him a few times. Gets the crowd going)
    Redman & Method Man (Really energetic on stage. Red more so but meth was great too)
    Talib Kweli
    Murs
    Blackalicious
    QN5 (Tonedeff & PackFM stood out)
    The Coup
    Hieroglyphics
    Canibus (Didn't know what to expect but he was really good. Lions on stage and all)
    Busta Rhymes (Not a huge fan but his performance was amazing. Unebelievable energy)
    Chino Xl (Gives a great performance & breaks into a lot of freestyles.)
    Wisin y Yandel (Difficult to understand at times but really had the crowd pumped)
    Will Smith (surprisingly)
    Louis Logic (one of the most personal gigs i been to. performed in my college bar)
    Sag Francis
    Lupe Fiasco

I got to see a lot of hip hop gigs thanks to going to college in California.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

For real? on the whole "woah that was crazy, what a night" kinda thing, Marc Stretch and Flip in Cuba Galway on the 9th of June just gone. Tuesday night in Galway, weren't expecting much of a crowd, had problems with sound all through sound check, BARELY got it all together as the doors were opening, me, two managers and a sound tech working like crazy to rectify the problem as people were starting to pay in down stairs then BLAM! everything came together.

doors opened at 11, warm up DJ started his set and untill like 11.30 place was pretty empty, maybe 45 people and then just as Marco was really going hard the place started filling up, like, streams of people. Flip hit the stage at 12, crowd is going MENTAL, had to close the doors at 12.30, just as Stretch is hitting the stage, and he KILLED it, like, I've rarely seen anybody work a crowd like he did that night, place was insane, everybody was on their feet, having a good time, the crowd interaction part of the set was perfect, call and response stuff like. Rob Kelly was there for a few drinks and came up and did a few tracks, killed it, stretch did over an hour solid, like, no messing around, he went 100% for like 75 mins. then flip finished the night with one of the best party sets I've heard, ever.

After that, Jurassic 5 a few years back was pretty sick, they were so sound, came out to chat to us before the gig, stayed around afterwards for chats and stuff, really nice guys.

And, and I was stunned, The Bud Rising gig on georges dock like 18 months ago, The Streets and Mix Master Mike.

I was never much of a streets fan but if you ever get the chance to see Mike Skinner live, do it, 2 hours of just raw energy and buzzing off the crowd, one of the best preformances of any genre I've been luck enough to see and it was free, Mike was insane too, and I was lucky enough to get to chat to him for a minute or two, humble, down to earth and genuinely appricated all the positive feedback people gave him.

Those would be my top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Can't believe i left out The Streets and The Roots in original. Have seen the Roots 3 times now i think and are a superb band live.

Neamhshuntaseach where did you see Outkast? The one group i would love to have seen at their peak (or even now!!) over any other. BOB live must be the ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

EPMD in Amsterdam last year would be up there, Public Enemy in Vicar st a few years ago, Gangstarr in Redbox was probably my favourite. Dilated stand out, Roots were great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Eminem punchestown, Nas at the Point and Jay-Z at the Marquee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Buck 65 in Whelans

Agreed.

1 man show... really interactive with crowd.
    The man is the ****.

Ghostface at The Tivoli (place off Thomas St??) was much much worse, trust me. It was full of absolute scum and he was just awful on the mike that night.

Did no-one go see Jay-Z in the point? Brilliant gig altho was up front in the pit for that. Highlight was when he was playing Big Pimping and dropped the music for people singing along too and i think only about 30 of us in the pit knew the words... He enjoyed laughing at that!

Mos Def in the Village was class as was El-P in Button Factory. Nas in Tripod was pretty good although that was generally down to a great crownd atmosphere. Immortal technigue in that Andrews Lane place was also good.

Pharoahe Monch in Tripod was really good, went straight from work wearing a suit, pretty balling i thought :D Also i thought jeru tha Damaga stole the show as support and then came down into the crowd afterwards to mix with people.

DJ Yoda first time i saw him in Crawdaddy complete with video show, one of the best gigs i was ever at.

I'm going to throw this in here anyway even tho isn't hip hop, Eryka Badu was tremedous. Gig went on for over 2 hours.

yea, was at the Jay-z gig in the point. While it was i good gig, you will never be able to get the same atmosphere from a large gig like that as you will from a smaller gig where you are real up close and personal with the artist. With gigs in the point and larger venues it becomes more of a show than a performance - it comes down to lights sound fireworks and big screen tv's as much as it does to the artists energy. Up close and personal, there's nothing for them to hide behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Can't believe i left out The Streets and The Roots in original. Have seen the Roots 3 times now i think and are a superb band live.

Neamhshuntaseach where did you see Outkast? The one group i would love to have seen at their peak (or even now!!) over any other. BOB live must be the ****

Saw them in New York back in 2000 at a pre release party for Stankonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I seen The Roots in the Olympia, 5 or 6 years ago. I thought they sounded awful. It wasn't that they played badly but whatever way the sound was setup it made them sound like they were being drowned out in feedback. Very disappointing.

On the other hand, I did see Edan in Crawdaddy about 3 years ago i think. Never mind the best hip hop gig, that was arguably the best gig I was ever at and I've been to a good few.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

there are a few great gigs mentioned that i completely forgot about, Blackalicious in the Red Box or Tripod and EDAN, i'd have to aggree with Dubhthamlacht, best gig ever.
    I have the gig on mp3 and i still listen to it quite regularly.

Also forgot about Atmosphere (twice), Brother Ali and El-P.

another one i forgot about, Snoop when he played at Oxygen.

Advertisement