Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percolation area & septic tank up hill from the house

Options
  • 16-10-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There is a slope on my site from the house location up to the percolation area & septic tank position.

The height difference will be in the region of 3ft minimum. There is also a possibility that we have a high water table. The percolation test was done for the opp that was on the site when we purchased it so I'm not sure on the details of that or if its even relevant to this situation.

I have no scope on the site to move the percolation area or the house.

How is this situation typically handled?

All feedback as always hugely appreciated.

SAS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just get a sewage system that pumps the effluent uphill before distribution to the percolation area. This additional pumping facility add only a few hundred to the cost of a typical sewage treatment plant.
    This should have been shown on the planning permission for the site.
    These systems are actually easier to install as instead of having a 4" gravity outflow from your sewage system, all you will have is a 2" (approx) wavin pipe placed up the hill to a simple distribution box and then gravity flow from this box to your percolation drains at the high level

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sas wrote: »
    Hi,

There is a slope on my site from the house location up to the percolation area & septic tank position.

The height difference will be in the region of 3ft minimum. There is also a possibility that we have a high water table. The percolation test was done for the opp that was on the site when we purchased it so I'm not sure on the details of that or if its even relevant to this situation.

I have no scope on the site to move the percolation area or the house.

How is this situation typically handled?

All feedback as always hugely appreciated.

SAS

the size (and cost) of pump depends on height yo be pumped and distance to be covered.

approx 3ft over say 5-10 ft isnt very significant so a standard pump can be used. i woudl organise teh system so that the percolation area and distribution box is adjacent to teh treatment system....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

mickdw wrote: »
    Just get a sewage system that pumps the effluent uphill before distribution to the percolation area. This additional pumping facility add only a few hundred to the cost of a typical sewage treatment plant.
    This should have been shown on the planning permission for the site.
    These systems are actually easier to install as instead of having a 4" gravity outflow from your sewage system, all you will have is a 2" (approx) wavin pipe placed up the hill to a simple distribution box and then gravity flow from this box to your percolation drains at the high level

This sounds like my own site where the ground rises away up to the back of the garden. The system that I have, a Bord Na Mona Puraflow, where the wastewater flows to the septic tank (that is deeper than most to accommodate a gravity flow from the house whereas the actual ground rises away from the house if you know what I mean) and then the liquid wastewater is pumped to the percolation area at the top of my garden about 40 metres away through a 32mm pipe. Everything works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Check the pp conditions to see if a raised bed is req'd (prob is if water table is high).
    If so, the septic tank unit & pump is the easy bit...

You could do a search on here, there is a link to an epa doc that explains the parameters for the bed.

Advertisement