Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Work Experience

Options
  • 16-10-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi all.

I am a media student and have to complete 10 days work experience within the next 7 months.

Would love any advice or suggestions of anything within the radio sector that accept work experience students. Does anyone know anywhere that accepts students?

Even one day's experience is helpful.

Preferably operating on the North Side. (in Dublin)

Thanks, Jennifer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fm 1

Cork or Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Oh Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Newstalk, just don't expect a job.

Thank you but they are operating on the South side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Spin1038 - Southside
    Dublins 98 - Southside
    Newstalk - Southside
    Today FM - Southside
    Phantom - Northside (North Wall Quay)
    Fm104 - Northside (Castleforbes ROad)
    Q102 - Northside (same building as 104)
    RTE - Southside
    4FM - Southside

I think the only others North of the liffey are community stations like NEAR FM

• Advertisement

Damnit, I don't have transport to the southside.

I have already applied to Near FM and FCFM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

There are a number of temporary stations on air (or coming soon to air) too. The likes of the 90's network, Hot Country, the Digital Hub thingy, RealRadio, and Christmas FM are (or are soon to be ) dotted around various locations in the city, all run and/or staffed by some of the most experienced radioheads in Ireland.

I'm sure someone at those stations would be grateful for an unpaid lackey. :)

Cheers. I emailed Real Radio (they are really near my area actually!) and Christmas Fm. Looking for 90's network and Hot Country emails. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Cheers. I emailed Real Radio (they are really near my area actually!) and Christmas Fm. Looking for 90's network and Hot Country emails. Thanks :)

In a way you're probably better aiming for community or temporary stations.

Work experience in commercial radio is often more work observation, or dog work like filling goody bags

Yeah that's what I was thinking Giftgrub. 2Fivers, just got a positive sounding reply from Hot Country saying they would pass my email along. Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Hi all.

I am a media student and have to complete 10 days work experience within the next 7 months.

Would love any advice or suggestions of anything within the radio sector that accept work experience students. Does anyone know anywhere that accepts students?

Even one day's experience is helpful.

Preferably operating on the North Side. (in Dublin)

Thanks, Jennifer.

I hate to sound harsh here Jennifer, but a media student that doesn't especially want to travel too far in a city with the best public transport in Ireland? You hardly sound hungry for work.

BTW - even though
    Spin1038, RTE, 4FM, Newstalk, Today FM and 98 are all on the southside its not as if they're in the far reaches. Most of them are right in the South City. Surely as a media student you'd be aware of this?

Either way, hope you find placement. Its not an easy industry to break into.

Manimal wrote: »
    I hate to sound harsh here Jennifer, but a media student that doesn't especially want to travel too far in a city with the best public transport in Ireland? You hardly sound hungry for work.

BTW - even though
    Spin1038, RTE, 4FM, Newstalk, Today FM and 98 are all on the southside its not as if they're in the far reaches. Most of them are right in the South City. Surely as a media student you'd be aware of this?

Either way, hope you find placement. Its not an easy industry to break into.

No probs Manimal I understand where you are coming from. There are personal issues limiting my ability to travel and thank you for the well wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Daragh184

you should try Near fm on the Bunratty road in coolock they will give you work experience no problem. Dublin City Fm is another station you should try.

Cheers Daragh. Have sent them all emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jessicadunne

hi i want to do work exp in radio

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jessicadunne

do u know were i can do my w/k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

do u know were i can do my w/k

Have you tried ringing all the radio stations in your area and asking them?

That'd be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Rock Solid

Try Spirit Radio, they are usually take on people. And are a National station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Perhaps try actually emailing the stations or ringing them and asking for the dates you need the work experience for?

Advertisement