Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homeless Cat Help?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello,

(I apologise if a similar thread or post is already up in this area but I am very new to Boards at the moment...)

Tonight coming home through the train station I found a stray cat crying at people in the train station. I physically couldn't leave him in the state he's in.
    He willingly followed me to the car and sat quietly with me the whole way home..........Leading me to think he once had a loving home somewhere and isn't a stray. (He is very very affectionate.)

I was wondering if somebody can advise me on what to do next?

His Condition:

1. He is pretty emaciated
    2. He has some sort of hair loss / mainge /lice /fleas
    3. His eye is infected and sunken back in his head

I have already:

1. Watered him
    2. Fed him small amounts
    3. Put him in a warm bed on the balcony infront of the outdoor fire(I cant have him inside with skin infections because I have another cat)

.....And I can take him to a shelter if there is one on Monday. The CSPCA is very conveniently closed all weekend... Is there ANYTHING else I should/could do?
    Should I try to wash him to get some skin infection off or anything like that?
    Is there a particular shelter or vet who could help me out?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

No just water him, feed him and give him somewhere nice to lie until you can bring him to the shelter im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you tried contacting the Animal Care Society?
    http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

Afaik they should be open all weekend as I have had contact with Albert before and he said he works every day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jokermuffin

Thats brilliant.

Sound

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Take him to the vet and get him scanned to see if he's microchipped. If he is he can be returned to his owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Take his photo and put it up around the train station and speak to the people who work there to see how long he has been hanging. Check for a chip too. Detectoring ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

There's a shelter in kildare that's open today, you can ring them between 2-4 their number is 045-522 929, website for more info too

I'm afraid he is collarless and has no micro chip. I'm working on the photos etc.....but he's feeling alot better which is the main thing.

Just for anybody else who might be in my situation in the future....The most important things I have learned in the past day about helping a stray cat:

1. ALWAYS take the cat if its injured or in any way hurt.
    2. The Animal Care Society are open everyday and are VERY helpfull!
    3. If there is an eye infection or problem use cooled tea (without milk) to dab on with some cotton wool to clean it until it can see a vet or the cattery can take it in.
    4. Use a single drop tick and flea killer (about 3 euro in good pet shops) on it to help it stop suffering so much until it can get to a vet or if thats all it needs - The powders/sprays can hurt the skin under the fir if its broken (like if they have a flea allergy)

That's it.

Goodluck to anybody else who finds cat.

And thanks for all the help.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Good on you jokermuffin for giving the little lad a chance to see what its like to be cared for.

As long as their are people like you around - some of these poor strayed and lost animals have a hope at a somewhat normal life

keep us updated on his progress!!!

Hey Thanks Buddy...Everybody deserves a chance.

He's doing good. My only problem is that he's infested with dead fleas now and I wanna wash the little fella so he can come inside and not be living on the balcony (plus I feel like a crazy person keeping the fire burner outside going all the time!!) .........I got skin calming tea tree shampoo for him and filled a mini kitty bath for him...

..........I did NOT go well. I have split lip. And he's probably dirtier then he was on Friday...but we're both okay, ill just have to bring him to the vet / cattery for his bath.

:)

Piece of advice No 5: Dont wash the cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

He's doing good. My only problem is that he's infested with dead fleas now and I wanna wash the little fella so he can come inside and not be living on the balcony (plus I feel like a crazy person keeping the fire burner outside going all the time!!) .........I got skin calming tea tree shampoo for him and filled a mini kitty bath for him...

..........I did NOT go well. I have split lip. And he's probably dirtier then he was on Friday...but we're both okay, ill just have to bring him to the vet / cattery for his bath.

Well done for giving this little creature a chance.

With regards to the fleas, you could use a fine tooth comb (Nit comb for headlice) and comb the dead fleas out. If he will sit on your lap, you can try gently wiping him with a warm, damp facecloth. I did this with my kitten the other day as she was pretty grubby, and she didn't mind at all and looks so much cleaner for it. It also encouraged her to clean herself.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I have noticed a cat shampoo that doesn't use the bath, I think it's some sort of foam/spray and you might have to rub it in/wipe it off. It's worth having a look for.

Hello

Just to update you on the cat that I found, the cat hospital in Glanmire are angels. Literally....
    ....But unfortunatly he tested positive for cat AIDS and Lukemia and had to be put to sleep.

Thank you everybody who helped me with posts.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Hello

Just to update you on the cat that I found, the cat hospital in Glanmire are angels. Literally....
    ....But unfortunatly he tested positive for cat AIDS and Lukemia and had to be put to sleep.

Thank you everybody who helped me with posts.

M

Yes I had been in constant contact with Clare Meade the Vet there, This Cats had other problems outside of FIV, and FelV wasnt one of them
    M. I will be in contact with you over the weekend as I still have your contact details. Untill then Anne x

To everyone else Just because a cat tests positive it dosnt mean it has to be put to sleep....as a matter of fact I am doing a home check next week for someone that is intrested in adopting two FIV Cats....both these cats have a full life ahead of them xx

M. I was unable to contact you by phone today......Maybe you are gone away for the week end.....I dont know where you got the idea that the cat was pts the Cat is still in the vets he did test pos for FIV, has ringworm a culture is being grown to confirm but he has started treatment in the meantime, has been treated with frontline for fleas and mites been wormed as well and may have a kidney problems we are waiting on the results, hopefully tuesday we will be able to move him out of the vets, I am hoping to have a place for him but I wont know that until tomorrow fingerscrossed for him, I spoke with Albert about the cat in lenght to day he was shocked when I asked him was the cat pts for having the above, Kent is full of life and very playfull and imo a cat that tests pos for fiv should'nt be pts just for the sake of it.......he is healthy in every other way and you wouldnt, Ringworm can be treated, Kidneys may mean a special diet, and he will be living his life as an indoor cat xxx

Anne

Kent will have a new home, homecheck done and approved.....he is still in the Vets as he started the treatment for ringworm yesterday but he has a fantastic home waiting for him once the vet releases him, his new Slaves are aware of his FIV and his other little problems thankfully Kent has landed on his paws and will now life in the lap of luxury for the rest of his life:)

Thanks to all the people who made it possable for Kent to live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

annefitzy wrote: »
    Kent will have a new home, homecheck done and approved.....he is still in the Vets as he started the treatment for ringworm yesterday but he has a fantastic home waiting for him once the vet releases him, his new Slaves are aware of his FIV and his other little problems thankfully Kent has landed on his paws and will now life in the lap of luxury for the rest of his life:)

Thanks to all the people who made it possable for Kent to live :)

That is wonderful news. Well done to all involved :)

Another little update on Kent.....He is well enough to be nuetered and will be having his operation on monday and may also need a tooth sorted and then fingers crossed he will be going to his new home the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! This has made my day! :D

Kent now called Odin is still doing fantastic and his slaves have adopted another FIV cat called Mimir, it was a shaky start but with time and understanding it worked out. Odin goe's for regular walks around the courtyard on his harness and Mirmir is getting used to his harness..both cats go for regular check up and are in tip top condition:P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

I just came across this story whilst browsing through the animal section and now Im blubbing like a baby. Im a sucker for a happy ending, they should make a movie of his life!! Seriously though well done to all those involved for giving this little guy a second chance at life and not a lonely painful death!!!! Hugs and kisses to you all

• Advertisement
Advertisement