Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

864kbps = 3mb?

Options
  • 16-10-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 864 384
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 17.00 6.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

Am i getting my 3md down 1mb up that i am supposed to be getting?

Thats what i see when i check the dsl section of my eircom modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

3 x 1024 = 384kb/s

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Woody_FX wrote: »
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 864 384
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 17.00 6.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

Am i getting my 3md down 1mb up that i am supposed to be getting?

Thats what i see when i check the dsl section of my eircom modem.

Aside from the obvious suggestion or restarting the modem, Eircom engineers tend to drop the sync rate to a fairly low value when doing a line test, and sometimes forget to reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

so 864kbps = less than 1mb ?
    So my modem is not even trying to connect at 3mb?

Restarted my modems a few times and not getting any joy from it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

so 864kbps = less than 1mb ?
    So my modem is not even trying to connect at 3mb?

Restarted my modems a few times and not getting any joy from it.

Your line stats are capable of much higher sync rates than 3 megs, so if Eircom are syncing at such a low rate, you'll need to call them to get it corrected.

On another note, an attenuation of 17dB will get you 21 meg or thereabout from an ADSL2 provider.

Ok I guess i need to make my question really clear.

I am signed up to eircoms 3mb package.

But it feels like i am not getting even half of that.

So looking at my modem it gives the above data.

Are eircom connecting me at 3mb download or do they have my model going at less that 1mb. That being the value of 864kbps that I see.

I guess i will need to call them and ask them whats up with that. Must be something on there side they have done.

Glad to hear that my line stats are good otherwise. Many thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Ok I guess i need to make my question really clear.

I am signed up to eircoms 3mb package.

But it feels like i am not getting even half of that.

So looking at my modem it gives the above data.

Are eircom connecting me at 3mb download or do they have my model going at less that 1mb. That being the value of 864kbps that I see.

I guess i will need to call them and ask them whats up with that. Must be something on there side they have done.

Glad to hear that my line stats are good otherwise. Many thanks for the advice.

You are not connecting at 3meg, you're being sync'd at 864k and it's not due to your line. Eircom need to fix how they're provisioning your line.

Spear wrote: »
    You are not connecting at 3meg, you're being sync'd at 864k and it's not due to your line. Eircom need to fix how they're provisioning your line.

Thanks mate! I see that they fix that up :)

Advertisement