Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German

Options
  • 16-10-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me the difference between higher and ordinary level? (clearly the difficulty!) I mean like what is the difference in the exams? Like is there different question types or different questions asked in the oral? I'm asking because most my class is doing ordinary level but I want to do higher I just want to know the difference and what I'm expected to learn if I want to attempt it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

Take a look at the exam papers and also have a look at the marking schemes.

http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&ty=e

In my opinion there is a huge difference,

in the oral i think you get asked the same questions but you are expected to say more at HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

ordinary level is mainly answered in english. also total for listening is 25% and 20% for oral.

higher is mainly answered in german and you get full marks if you copy the answear for the reading passages if it is correct. also 20% for listening and 25% for oral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

unknown13 wrote: »
    ordinary level is mainly answered in english. also total for listening is 25% and 20% for oral.

higher is mainly answered in german and you get full marks if you copy the answear for the reading passages if it is correct. also 20% for listening and 25% for oral.

hmm in German you say... I'm not sure which way is easier but I'm used to answering Irish questions in Irish so I'm kind of used to manipulating what's in a comprehension paragraph.

Well I think I'll stay with HL i just need to put the work in... hopefully

Also in the oral is there an option to do a project instead of a story or something like that? Correct me if I'm wrong I just want to know if doing a project would be easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

Also in the oral is there an option to do a project instead of a story or something like that? Correct me if I'm wrong I just want to know if doing a project would be easier.
    yeah...i personally dont think its easier. You will be asked questions and stuff about it.

yeah...i personally dont think its easier. You will be asked questions and stuff about it.

But wouldent a project you can learn of by heart be easier than 5 picture sequenses in which you only get one ? Personally checking them out the only good one seems like the exchange :( well if you were to be asked questions on your project you could think of all obious questions and be prepared :|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

The questions on the picture stories are all really obvious too and easy to predict.
    An advantage of the project though is that at least you know what you'll definitely be asked as oppose to the one in five chance of a particular picture story coming up. However you really need to prepare the 'Thema' as listed on each of the picture stories - they tend to feature somewhere on the written papers (in the Ausserung or Schriftliche Prod.). Even if you choose to present a project for the oral, be very familiar with the picture stories vocabulary

...............it's as easy just to do the picture stories for the oral I think!

The questions on the picture stories are all really obvious too and easy to predict.
    An advantage of the project though is that at least you know what you'll definitely be asked as oppose to the one in five chance of a particular picture story coming up. However you really need to prepare the 'Thema' as listed on each of the picture stories - they tend to feature somewhere on the written papers (in the Ausserung or Schriftliche Prod.). Even if you choose to present a project for the oral, be very familiar with the picture stories vocabulary

...............it's as easy just to do the picture stories for the oral I think!

Well the picture sequenses look really unintresting (smoking outside a barn lol) like I said the austauch is the best IMO Because you can go on about things you did/people you met and just blab on about that! I would be very stuck for words for the smoking one even if I learned it off by heart beacuse there's not that much you can talk about - and I'd be morto on the day if I chose that one lol

But yeah a project seems better to me. I could just do a project on Berlin or something and keep it simple so I can predict what will be asked. Then again with the picture sequence there is no questions :pac:

Well the picture sequenses look really unintresting (smoking outside a barn lol) like I said the austauch is the best IMO Because you can go on about things you did/people you met and just blab on about that! I would be very stuck for words for the smoking one even if I learned it off by heart beacuse there's not that much you can talk about - and I'd be morto on the day if I chose that one lol

But yeah a project seems better to me. I could just do a project on Berlin or something and keep it simple so I can predict what will be asked. Then again with the picture sequence there is no questions :pac:

There are questions on the picture sequence......and they are worth as many marks as the storytelling. 10 marks for telling the story, 10 marks for the future projection (what happens next style qs) or explaining things about the pictures and then 10 marks for the general questions on the theme. So 30 in all.......same for the project! Buy one of the Oral books to make sure you're clear on what's required before you decide on a project or the picture stories.

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Leaving_Certificate_German_Oral_Examination.pdf

Be sure to read the guidelines on both the project and the picture stories!

Thanks - well I still have a while to decide I'm only in fifth year lol Well i'm alright with the future tense but Id be better at past/present tense but there is room to improve! Also my teacher dident seem to keen on the project idea she seems more emphasized on the picture sequenses so maybe it would be better to do the picture sequenses as she'd be putting more attention on them rather than me do a project on my own :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Picture sequences are very easily prepared for, and it's fairly easy to predict what you might be asked. And there's only 5 of them and if you read them often enough, they'll stick in your mind.

As far as I'm aware, the project needs to be pretty fantastic to score highly and there's so much scope for questions, it's very difficult to guess what the examiner will pick up on and ask.

Advertisement