Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnOff - your opinions needed

Options
  • 16-10-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey - I manage a rock band called OnOff.

We have just recorded a demo and these are the first mixes.

Guys - let me know your thoughts on which song to produce and properly mixed for a potential single.

Link to songs is here

http://www.breakingtunes.com/profile/1038

The songs are called:

Stars Don't Shine
    Dealer in the distance.
    Suicide

What would you release as a single.

Let me know?

Dicki

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jaysus are OnOff still going?

I went to school with Gary and Stephen.

More Punk than Alternative no?

EDIT: Just gave the tunes a listen and they're definitely more mature (and better) than the old stuff I remember. Good job all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Xavi6 wrote: »

EDIT: Just gave the tunes a listen and they're definitely more mature (and better) than the old stuff I remember. Good job all round.
    I think you went ot school with my OH then, unless he went to school with the other one lol

I saw them when I was 12
    Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Stars wont shine will definitily be a hit! Release that bad boy! Very Sterophonics feel off it have to say!

2nd song is too Artic Monkeys for me to be honest cant listen to it.

3rd song is pretty cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

2nd song is too Artic Monkeys for me to be honest cant listen to it.

Nearly to the point of being a piss-take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Jesus, I remember seeing this lot at a couple of DIY punk gigs years and years ago. Proper blast from the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Wow, remember seeing them a few years ago and the new songs are way better than what I remember. Agree that the second one sounds ridiculously like the Arctic Monkeys though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Wow. Totally not the same band whose album I remember consigning to the bargain bin in work many years ago.

The only thing I would point out is that each song does sound very heavily indebted to a particular artist. Stars don't shine - is a bit, "here's our Stereophonics song", Dealer in the distance "and our Arctic Monkeys one" and then "and finally our Alice in Chains number."

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the songs but I was sorry not to get a sense of the bands own sound from the three of them together.

As a single,I'd probably go for Dealer in the Distance. It stands out the most for me as a decent radio friendly tune that is likely to grab you the most on casually listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Rdaly1

Band line- up has changed from all those years ago.

All comments are welcomed and taken on board.

Dicki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Learn your music genres, there's more chance of me been a Moderator then On/Off being classed as a Punk Band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Didn't know they were still going. I saw them a few times when they were playing Blast gigs 5 or 6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Rdaly1

Only a 3 piece band now with old singer Paul replaced with new singer and guitarist "Paulie Daly"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Learn your music genres, there's more chance of me been a Moderator then On/Off being classed as a Punk Band.

Meh, I never said they are punk, just that they are more punk than alternative. And it was a question.

Learn to read posts. Maybe then you will get that modship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Did you go to Vincents, Xavi?

Meh, I never said they are punk, just that they are more punk than alternative. And it was a question.

Learn to read posts. Maybe then you will get that modship.

How can you be more Punk then Alternative? You don't know what Punk is.
    I would say they're more Alternative then Punk. Maybe I don't know what Alternative is. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

How can you be more Punk then Alternative? You don't know what Punk is.
    I would say they're more Alternative then Punk. Maybe I don't know what Alternative is. ;)

considering punk is a state of mind/mindset rather than anything to do with fashion or music then are you definite *you* know what punk is?

iamhunted wrote: »
    considering punk is a state of mind/mindset rather than anything to do with fashion or music then are you definite *you* know what punk is?
    Where do you get your view on this from?

Take away the fashion bit and I would say it's a combination of Mindset/Music for me.
    Old school Punk is more Music oriented and Modern post 90s Punk would be more Mindset.

Rdaly1 wrote: »
    Only a 3 piece band now with old singer Paul replaced with new singer and guitarist "Paulie Daly"
    Well if its a new vocalist and a diff style of music why use the same name or do you not want to let down those '20,000' fans on MySpace? :rolleyes:

Advertisement