Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris brake problems

Options
  • 16-10-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a toyota yaris and it's only about 4 years old. everything's fine except for the brakes. sometimes they choose not to work!! i've sent it to the garage numerous times but they always say there's nothing wrong with it.
    Recently I've noticed that it's when I clutch then brake that they don't always work. Like if i have to slam on them they're fine.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

have you checked your brake fluid level?

were the pads changed recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Strange as there's no connection between the clutch and the brakes, separate systems.
    If you brake gently they don't seem to bite as well as when you slam on them?
    Or can you actually push the brake pedal down and nothing happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is the clutch fully disengaging?

But I presume you would notice this as the car would almost cut out when braking.

Since you brought it to the garage I guess that means the brake pads are in good condition and so are the discs. But if you are handy with a few tools I'd suggest taking off the brakes and putting them back on just in case there is an issue there.

Is your ABS working? Slam on brakes when no one is around to see if they are. But I doubt it's an electrical sensor issue. That only affects safety features.

The other thing I'd suggest has been mentioned but the garage would of checked that. The brake fluid should be okay. But I'd wonder if the hydraulics are not working right. Split hose or something like that. But then the garage would of noticed this too. It's a real pickle :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

I drove a Yaris for about a year and something similar happened to me twice. Both times it happened when I pressed the brakes a little harder than normal, didn't slam on the brakes though, I think it was something to do with the ABS as when I pushed the pedal it starting shuddering a little and the car didnt stop!! :eek: twas a bit scary to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Magnus wrote: »
    Strange as there's no connection between the clutch and the brakes, separate systems.

Well there could be a connection between the two, cause some systems used the actual same fluid as the brakes and has a pipe running from the brake reservoir down to the clutch master cylinder. So could be just a low fluid level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I pushed the pedal it starting shuddering a little and the car didnt stop!! :eek: twas a bit scary to say the least.

The Shuddering pedal was most likely the ABS kicking in......

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭spree

I have an 04 Yaris myself, I've checked the Haynes manual I have and it does refer to the brake/clutch fluid. could you take it to a different garage get a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 just wonderingg

Magnus wrote: »

What happens is that I could have my foot fully down on the brake and it will only be slowing like one or two kms at a time. I have to take my foot off the brakes and put it down again and then it works fine. It happened again today so it doesn't just happen when I'm also on the clutch. ??? hmmm.... like I've had the break pads changed and fluid level and everything else are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you actually brought it to a Toyota dealer, and have they test driven the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

What happens is that I could have my foot fully down on the brake and it will only be slowing like one or two kms at a time. I have to take my foot off the brakes and put it down again and then it works fine. It happened again today so it doesn't just happen when I'm also on the clutch. ??? hmmm.... like I've had the break pads changed and fluid level and everything else are grand.

what you describe is a symptom of air in the calipers. the air gets compressed on the first push of the brake pedal to a fraction of its volume, but the pedal goes to the floor or near enough. The second push of the brake pedal feels firm because the trapped air cannot be compressed anymore and your brakes become effective.
    Garage should bleed the brake system with new fluid for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement