Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-Value Vs Material

Options
  • 16-10-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on choosing between

PVC Windows with U=1.1 (Overall Window) or Alu-Clad with U=1.27

ignoring the cost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Alu clad . Looks fantastic - best of both worlds with low maintenance externally and timber internally .

The % area of glazing is usually relatively small so u value would not sway me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

What are peoples thoughts on choosing between

PVC Windows with U=1.1 (Overall Window) or Alu-Clad with U=1.27

ignoring the cost.

Something that doesn't get much play in forums in general when we talk about windows is the airtightness detailing on them.

Typical irish PVC windows (there will always be exceptions) have poorly installed seals and hence you'll suffer on airtightness. This will cost you alot more on heating bills than increased u-values will save you.

If the aluclad are Irish I would have similar concerns. If they are german\austrian I would be less concerned as their bog standard for windows is reasonably good. They tend to have 3 seals.

Just something to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

thanks, am looking at Irish windows which are alu-clad and have three seals, fairly similar section to the foreign ones actually, although probably not as highly insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Hey AverageJoe... can you PM me who you are looking at? I have an idea as I think there is only 1 irish company that does Alu-clad... Tried to contact one this week and still waiting to get a call back from the sales guy to go through it with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

thanks, am looking at Irish windows which are alu-clad and have three seals, fairly similar section to the foreign ones actually, although probably not as highly insulated.

Sounds good so. I'd appreciate a pm with the company name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FergusD

Something which you may not have considered is the size of the frames when you look at them? PVC needs to have a chunkier frame than alu-clad (or either wood/aluminum). Depending on your window design (few openings) this may look fine - but if you have many openings it means that you will have far bulkier frames which imo take from the window. This would be my major reason for looking at alu-clad over PVC.

Fergus.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Hi, could you also PM me that company name. Thanks

Advertisement