Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoise

Options
  • 15-10-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I've been listening to their latest album Beacons of ancestorship, and it's f**king great. Some savage grooves going on, then add in your bits of synth, and jazz licks. I'd love to see them live. I haven't the days off or the cash to go and see them on the continent in November. Anyone know if they ever released a live dvd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

No idea but they are worth catching if they play here again anytime soon. Saw them the last time and they were excellent. I know they are playing dates in the UK in December. Maybe an Irish gig is on the cards but just hasnt been anounced yet. Will be seeing them myself at ATP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

I've heard bits and pieces by these guys but never picked up one of their records. Can anybody recommend a good place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

fikay wrote: »
    I've heard bits and pieces by these guys but never picked up one of their records. Can anybody recommend a good place to start?

Millions Now Living Will Never Die, I think. It's the only album I have by them, I really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they ever released a live dvd?

The three CD + DVD set A Lazarus Taxon has a good bit of live footage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Lazarus_Taxon
    fikay wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a good place to start?

debut LP, Tortoise.

I saw them live in 1996. Olympia. With Stereolab. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

their latest album, I think, is f**king amazing. (beacons.....)

There's some cool live footage of them on pitchfork tv, if you pick the "don't look down" programme, and they play songs, pretty good...

I see they are playing with Wilco in Leeds :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Millions Now Living Will Never Die, I think. It's the only album I have by them, I really like it.

I have that album but I've never listened to it. :eek: This thread might change that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

debut LP, Tortoise.

I saw them live in 1996. Olympia. With Stereolab. Amazing.

I was at the Cork gig, upstairs in Nancy Spaines iirc. Amazing alright. I haven't any of their stuff beyond the debut and Millions... Maybe I should rectify that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

As well as the debut and millions, TNT is gr8, Standards is ok as is It's all around you.
    Leave the boxset till you really get into them, then you'll appreciate it more
    as stated already, some live footage on the boxset dvd. Think there may be some live stuff on the Burn to Shine dvds also, but you'll have to look up which one, enjoy :D

Advertisement