Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article: More than 50% of cars 'would fail safety tests'

Options
  • 15-10-2009 5:45pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

More than 50% of cars 'would fail safety tests'

15/10/2009 - 16:06:03

More than half of all cars in Ireland have significant safety issues such as damaged tyres and faulty brakes according to a new survey.

A new survey by CarAware.ie revealed that nearly three quarters of cars had badly worn or damaged tyres, almost half had defective lights and a quarter had faulty brake pads.

Cork and the South were the worst areas with a 64% safety failure rate.

Galway was the best county with only a 52% failure rate.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/eymhaumheygb/

See here also - it looks like they are involved with Advance Pitstop - if they are then IMO this is all crap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Free Safety check and bully you into buying tyres

If that many cars failed surely someone on here would have had there car checked by them at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

also sponsored by Autoglass.

Pretty cynical marketing campaign

I heard Anton Savage suggesting the same on Today FM this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Tyre and brakes company in advising people to buy new tyres and brakes shocker.

Surely the elephant in the 'survey' is that cars do have a safety test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

And this following the introduction of NCT? If so then cars as machines just do deteriorate rapidly. I wonder what Henry Ford et-al would make of such a survey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

i reckon a car could fail if tested a few weeks after passing nct most spurious parts imo are only to get the car thru the test total rubbish,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While those scientific looking percentagesc where probably determined with the help of some dice, there still is some truth to the matter.

Drive around with open eyes and open ears ...every other car has at least one bulb not working and the amount of screechy brakes you hear at a busy crossroads is also quite high.
    Take a leisurely stroll across a busy car park and glance at the tyres and you will find quite a few that just about passed the NCT two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

peasant wrote: »
    While those scientific looking percentagesc where probably determined with the help of some dice, there still is some truth to the matter.

Drive around with open eyes and open ears ...every other car has at least one bulb not working and the amount of screechy brakes you hear at a busy crossroads is also quite high.
    Take a leisurely stroll across a busy car park and glance at the tyres and you will find quite a few that just about passed the NCT two years ago.

I had a look at some tyres on parked cars on my walk home from work today, some of them were like slicks, how anybody could carry themselves or anyone else in them is beyond me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Hey Peasant and Tipsy Mac make good points here. I often would be on primary roads late at night and see and oncoming motorbike only to see that its a car with one head light when is right up on top of you! ... Five-O should be pulling that sh*t over... no fines... you just tell the guy to report to the station in the next week to show the fault has been rectified.. totally normal in many countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

I was at home over the weekend and was shocked at the amount of cars with faulty headlights, also why do so many drivers feel the need to have their fog lights on when the conditions don't necessitate them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

funnyname wrote: »
    I was at home over the weekend and was shocked at the amount of cars with faulty headlights, also why do so many drivers feel the need to have their fog lights on when the conditions don't necessitate them?

They think that they look cool.
    Yeah..I know how stupid that sounds..but it's true!

Anyway..best not to get into a discussion about fog lights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement