Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices shooting up after 11:30pm??

Options
  • 15-10-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I know there are a few threads on the cheapest pints going etc, but this is a particular query as regarding the change in prices over the period of a night. Is it now common policy across Dublin City to jack up the prices for pubs after 11:30pm?

Last Sat night (after the Italy match) the price of drinks in the Portobello was €5.30 for a Guinness and €5.80 for a Heineken respectively. This was a pub we used to see as a last chance saloon, ie not our favourite, not great atmosphere but always open with reasonable enough priced pints. It was also well known for offers. During the week there are little alternatives in the Rathmines direction.

Then last night (after the dreadful Montenegro match), after 2 previous I stopped with a mate for a pint each (1 Hoegarden & 1 Paulaner) in Bruxelles at about 11:45pm (waiting on the Luas) and it came to €13, which is extortionate even by Dublin standards!!

Is this a common thread in other parts of the city? Or has the price of a late license shot up and the bar is trying to cover costs???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Cafe EnSeine, blow it up. Morgans as well do, em, who else...

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Ah jaysus, not the portobello, hate that place. You should have gone to the Lower Deck about 100ft away, better, cheaper pints and a much nicer place all round imo.

Sadly, a load of places do the increased pricing thing (the Temple Bar is one off the top of my head).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, not the portobello, hate that place. You should have gone to the Lower Deck about 100ft away, better, cheaper pints and a much nicer place all round imo.

Sadly, a load of places do the increased pricing thing (the Temple Bar is one off the top of my head).

couldnt agree with you more. i was in the portobello a few weeks ago and the already inflated prices went up after 11.30. i went over to liam for a pint then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nordydan wrote: »
    €5.30 for a Guinness and €5.80 for a Heineken respectively.
    ...reasonable enough priced pints.

I'm with you on the general topic but anywhere that charges more then €5 for a pint of Guinness and anywhere near over €5.50 for Heineken (both of these are my drinks of choice) are taking the piss.
    (1 Hoegarden & 1 Paulaner) in Bruxelles at about 11:45pm (waiting on the Luas) and it came to €13, which is extortionate even by Dublin standards!!

Was in Bruxelles last weekend for the first time in months and ordered a Paulaner myself and I got a similar price shock. Unreal for such a dive of a pub (you can stick flat screens anywhere but keep playing your music so loud your ears bleed and keep the jacks in such a state and you're still only sticking a pig in designer clothes... it's still a pig).

I have noticed pubs doing this. And in response, I've noticed most of my friends bringing their own liquor into pubs and only buying soft drinks (which are insane rip offs also) to top up in the pub. Buy one or two and at "price hike" time, start refreshing yourself.

That and the all-too-common idea of buying 1 bottle of wine and doing a load of drugs... which is scarily a very economical, but unethical option.

...there is always the tried & tested knacker drinking option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Thanks, I knew about the likes of Cafe en Seine which are dear normally and I would not frequent anyway, but Portobello really is taking the proverbial.

I didn't know the Lower Deck was a late license, I may give it a try again. I was just looking for a decent pub around the 1am-2am mark between say St Stephens Green and Rathmines. Its a pity the bleeding horse isn't a late one.

Ironically before we went to the Portobello we went into the Hairy Lemon and paid €5 for two stout and said "We might as well try the Portobello" as we thought it was steep enough already!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There's a chipper in Bray by the Dart station around midnight and blink, all the prices have gone up or at least they did the last time I was there

I'm with you on the general topic but anywhere that charges more then €5 for a pint of Guinness and anywhere near over €5.50 for Heineken (both of these are my drinks of choice) are taking the piss.
    Agreed, anything over €4.50 for Guinness is really pushing it.
    Was in Bruxelles last weekend for the first time in months and ordered a Paulaner myself and I got a similar price shock. Unreal for such a dive of a pub (you can stick flat screens anywhere but keep playing your music so loud your ears bleed and keep the jacks in such a state and you're still only sticking a pig in designer clothes... it's still a pig).
    Indeed, as with the Portobello I have been caught on the hop twice in a week. That's why I started the post, I was well aware of the ripoff joints (e.g. Temple Bar) but these two have sprung me. I wasn't sure whether I had just been unlucky or not.
    I have noticed pubs doing this. And in response, I've noticed most of my friends bringing their own liquor into pubs and only buying soft drinks (which are insane rip offs also) to top up in the pub. Buy one or two and at "price hike" time, start refreshing yourself.

That and the all-too-common idea of buying 1 bottle of wine and doing a load of drugs... which is scarily a very economical, but unethical option.

...there is always the tried & tested knacker drinking option :D
    Funnily enough, for the first time since I was a student in Belfast years ago the thoughts of bringing a hip flask entered have entered my mind!!

trad wrote: »
    There's a chipper in Bray by the Dart station around midnight and blink, all the prices have gone up or at least they did the last time I was there

henry and rose, or rosie and jims as i call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Were you caught out as well?

Were you caught out as well?

havent been there late in a good few years but it didnt ever happen to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

this happens everywhere afaik

Bruxelles and fibbers (my two regular haunts :P ) both do this, bruxelles moreso. Maybe its more noticeable in Brux because they are more expensive than fibbers ny quite a bit already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Is the lower deck late every night? I have no problem with Portabello doing it. Late License prices went up alot last year(or the year before) so I don't see why they shouldn't up the price when they have to pay extra overheads and they don't charge in. Most place charge €10 in and still charge minimum €5 for a beer so. You'll need to hit 10+ pints in the space of 3 hours before you start making a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I remember back in December 2007 a Pint of Cider was E4.70 in Zanzibar before 11 or maybe 12.
    After whichever it was, it jumped by E0.50C to E.5.20.
    Didn't realise this until Pint was Pulled. Gave it back & kept my money.

Is that still there? Or is it now called Bondi Beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The price of shooting up after 11:30pm. I know

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Is the lower deck late every night?

I don't think it's late any night, usual pub closing hours afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Break for the border shoots up to over €6 for a pint too after 11pm I think it is. Never going again. The place was empty too so I cant see them surviving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Price goes up for 2 reasons.

1. Staff are on a higher rate after 10pm as squeezed by the barmans union a few years back.

2. The cost of late licence is about €400 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

The Baggot Inn are doing this also. Even though they have signs all over the pub saying that they have the price freeze in place. Brought it to the managers attention and he was a bit shocked. He didn't seem the brightest though. Bless Him.

Baggot Inn = kip BTW.

Apparently, ones footwear plays an important role in the chances of getting into this shathole. I got news for you Mr Bouncer - it's now a consumers world. We run this town...

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

yeah it's called Henry & Rose. By far the best chipper in the city, so I can live with the prices, which aren't too bad to be honest. In fact im fairly sure it's the same as most other chippers

mcaul wrote: »
    Price goes up for 2 reasons.

1. Staff are on a higher rate after 10pm as squeezed by the barmans union a few years back.

2. The cost of late licence is about €400 a night.

Spot on, that's what I suspected. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Was in The Blarney Inn on Nassau Street last night (wasn't my choice). Guinness was 4.80 untill 11pm, then it went up to 5 euro. Complete rip off. I asked the barman what the story was when he handed me my change, and he said - "I don't set the prices.. there's a recession on" :rolleyes: I had a look for the price list, and it listed the price of a pint of Guinness as 5 euro.

I noticed on the wall they're charging 18euro for fish and chips, and 15euro for a salad. I feel sorry for the tourists who get off the coaches on Nassau Street..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Why do you go to these places then? I am sure allot of them are close to closing down. Go to a place that offers cheaper beer, of which there are loads (Except Saturday nights unfortunately). The expensive pubs will be forced to reduce their prices.

Theirs a lot said for €2 pints in dicies on a Wednesday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WinniePooFace

"Apparently, ones footwear plays an important role in the chances of getting into this shathole. I got news for you Mr Bouncer - it's now a consumers world. We run this town...[/quote]"

its not the bouncer's rules! its the stupid snobby owner who makes the rules about footwear!!

i have sympathy for Mr Bouncer.

and anyway the baggot inn is a hole full of D4 wannabees, girls with no personality, and general gobsh*tes that think they are the cats pyjamas! most of the men in there remind me of TimNiceButDim from Harry Enfield and Chums! Gobshi*es! if you go there you deserve to be ripped off because you are dim and will pay any price due to your ignorance!

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 miami365

it's scandalous and hence i don't pay more than €3.50/ €4 max for a pint these days.

see link for alternatives.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=648979609#/pages/Cheap-Drink-Dublin/139810332095?ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Its not just pubs that put their prices after that time - a lot of chippers also do it, as does 24hr shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Wouldn't that qualify as a time-based drinks promotion, and thus be illegal? (i.e the time before 11.30pm being 'reduced') :)

Advertisement