Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fiat seicento 1.1 sporting -fuel efficiency problem

Options
  • 15-10-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My small car uses 8-10 liters of petrol per 100 km.The weight of the car is 600 kgs according to manufacturer so surely it does not require so much petrol.
    I had full service done just over a week ago and that included

Full service after a further 12 months/9,000 miles(15,000 km)
    Service lights reset on all cars

Change oil
    Check oil leaks
    Change oil filter
    Top up power steering fluid
    Top up washer bottles
    Top up brake fluid
    Check drive belts
    Check driveshaft condition
    Top auto transmission fluid
    Top gearbox oil
    Fuel filter (diesel)
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace air filter
    Top up coolant anti-freeze
    Check cooling system

Electrical
    Check horn
    Check front and rear side and main lights
    Check indicators / hazard lights
    Check fog and number plate lights
    Check brake and reverse lamps

Ancillary Items
    Check windscreen wipers

Check windscreen washer operation / alignment

Check handbrake lever operation / travel
    Grease/oil door locks / hinges

Battery
    Clean battery terminals
    Check battery security
    Top up battery electrolyte level
    Battery charge test

Tyre Inspection
    Check tread depth
    Check tyre condition
    Check tyre pressure

Brakes
    Check brake pads

unfortunately is same story all over again.The only thing that I noticed is the exhaust noise.When I accelarate the exhaust gives a high pitched hiss/whistle.What else ....3 months ago I had very same car a fiat seicento 0.9 cc and petrol usage was something between 4-5 litres per 100km.
    I mean I like to drive sensibly,smoothly,no high revs,checking tyre pressure regularly,no heating in the car etc..That is really puzzling me ....
    I really appreciate any comments you may have:)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,061 ✭✭✭✭unkel

3 months ago I had very same car a fiat seicento 0.9 cc and petrol usage was something between 4-5 litres per 100km.

That's not the very same car! The whole purpose of the 1.1 sporting is that it should be driven in a "spirited" way. If done and mainly in urban areas, then I think 8-10l per 100km is to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wow, that's pretty bad. I'd say bring it to a garage and get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Ive driven a LOT of these cars ...in my experience the Sporting is only 2-5 mpg behind the standard model.Unfortunately if its not something obvious (like maybe a really dirty air filter,catalyst etc) it could be a nightmare to 'fix' excessive fuel consumption .
    Im guessing you are not Irish/UK as we have no idea what 8L per 100km is...(Checking on calculator)....35mpg ...well if you were driving round the city a lot and using the accelerator roughly that wouldnt be unusual but on the open road I used get 42-44mpg with long Motorway stretches .I reckon driven VERY carefulll the Sporting still wouldnt get 49/50mpg .I think I used get 45-47 mpg in my 899cc Cinquecento.
    As I said I REALLY used love these cars but Id imagine theyre nearly all wrecks at this stage .I remember driving an 899cc silver one 250 miles on the motorways in Britain in icy sub zero conditions carrying a huge piece of furniture that wouldnt fit in a BMW 7 series or a Ford Cougar (or a Hyundai Lantra 5 dr if I recall correctly-The Cinquecento had tiny almost non existent rear wheel arches intrusions which gave it an amazingly usable ,spacious rear hatch)
    While I loved my Sportings Id have to say that a good low mileage 899cc was almost as much fun, even if the engine didnt like being red lined as much as the FIRE .
    If you knew there foibles (almost anything you could touch could break off in your hand-the clutch cable had to be continually adjusted -I bet many an unscrupulous or unwise mechanic fitted a new clutch in them when only the cable needed adjusting))and had a bit of luck they were a lot more reliable than youd think .
    But a ' bad ' one would break your heart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

ytareh wrote: »
    Ive driven a LOT of these cars ...in my experience the Sporting is only 2-5 mpg behind the standard model.Unfortunately if its not something obvious (like maybe a really dirty air filter,catalyst etc) it could be a nightmare to 'fix' excessive fuel consumption .
    Im guessing you are not Irish/UK as we have no idea what 8L per 100km is...(Checking on calculator)....35mpg ...well if you were driving round the city a lot and using the accelerator roughly that wouldnt be unusual but on the open road I used get 42-44mpg with long Motorway stretches .I reckon driven VERY carefulll the Sporting still wouldnt get 49/50mpg .I think I used get 45-47 mpg in my 899cc Cinquecento.
    As I said I REALLY used love these cars but Id imagine theyre nearly all wrecks at this stage .I remember driving an 899cc silver one 250 miles on the motorways in Britain in icy sub zero conditions carrying a huge piece of furniture that wouldnt fit in a BMW 7 series or a Ford Cougar (or a Hyundai Lantra 5 dr if I recall correctly-The Cinquecento had tiny almost non existent rear wheel arches intrusions which gave it an amazingly usable ,spacious rear hatch)
    While I loved my Sportings Id have to say that a good low mileage 899cc was almost as much fun, even if the engine didnt like being red lined as much as the FIRE .
    If you knew there foibles (almost anything you could touch could break off in your hand-the clutch cable had to be continually adjusted -I bet many an unscrupulous or unwise mechanic fitted a new clutch in them when only the cable needed adjusting))and had a bit of luck they were a lot more reliable than youd think .
    But a ' bad ' one would break your heart...

As matter of fact the clutch cable snapped just over a week ago:o
    yeap I do love my Sporting i'ts just such small nippy car(pocket rocket they call it)As for an execessive fuel consumption ....well I really thought that any full car service would just do it(I spent 3/5 hours looking over my mechanic's
    shoulder while he was replacing all filters and cleaning bits and pieces).
    I still reckon that 8/10 litres per 100km is far too much and I will get my car to
    a mechanic to have a look at.

Thank you all for your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Head Gasket may be going !! had same problem with ford focus Until i got the HG done then got 3times as much driving for same amount of fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Head Gasket may be going !! had same problem with ford focus Until i got the HG done then got 3times as much driving for same amount of fuel
    I've told you a thousand times not to exaggerate.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

ytareh wrote: »
    Im guessing you are not Irish/UK as we have no idea what 8L per 100km is....

Metric system was introduced in 2005 here. Well, it's about time to start have some idea. :)
    I owned a fiat tipo a long long time ago. It was with a 1.4 l engine. At begining the fuel consumption was aprox 4-5 litres/100 km. Suddenly one day it went up to 10l/100 km and at the very end it started to consume about 1 litre on 1km. Went to garage and mechanics diagnosed that lambda sonde was dead (or almost dead). It was changed to new one and my fiat was back to 4-5 litres on 100km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

pcardin wrote: »
    at the very end it started to consume about 1 litre on 1km.
    :eek: That's 2mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, your list of service items includes ATF renewal... is this an auto/semiauto? If so, that's your problem. Small, older autoboxes are really, really inefficient. The auto Corsa will get 8.5l/100km as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sorry for not getting back sooner...I'ts the manual gearbox.Sorry about the confusion.
    This guy serviced my car http://www.mobileauto.biz/30pointservice.htm I have to admit
    that he did pretty good job..I din't have time to bring the car to the garage yet(money).
    as soon as it happens and I hope they will tell me the reason why such very small car
    uses so much petrol

Thank you all

• Advertisement
Advertisement