Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to buy a pipe

Options
  • 15-10-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Going to buy a pipe. Probably going to get one in the tabacco shop opposite Trinuty, but will look in Asha and the Banana shop, but pretty sure they only do bongs - I want a formal looking pipe, not one that look suspicious.

Or is there any website that specialize's in this sort of thing, that you have used in the past?

Finally, can anyone recommend some good pipe tobacco? I've been told that rollie tobacco is not always the best. In case your wondering, usually I smoke Golden Virgina or Amber Leaf, so something like that. All else fails, I'll get a selection, and try each of them out :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Petersen's Deluxe Blend is my regular pipe tobacco. But trying different ones is half the fun.

Of the two tobacconists opposite Trinity I'd definitely rate Petersen's far above Fox's for service. I believe Petersen's do pipe seconds, which might be a good way of getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BeerNut wrote: »
    I believe Petersen's do pipe seconds, which might be a good way of getting started.
    I'm lost. What is/are "pipe seconds"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Seconds are products with a slight flaw in them -- often undetectable to the casual consumer -- which for whatever reason can't be sold at the full price for the brand. So they end up in outlet stores or the like. Petersen's sells (or at least used to) new but slightly flawed pipes. I've never noticed anything wrong with any of the ones I've seen.

So, I was in over the weekend, and got a nice looking Peterson one for €55. There were a few second pipes for €30, but I didn't like the colur of it. I think the one I got is the black one shown in http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/ebony-ivory.html

Now, my question is: how to I use it. I don't inhale, and apart from moving it arond my mouth and exhaling it, I'm unsure is there anything else to it? I've gotten the hang of the false/true flame, with a bit of help from youtube (as well as helpful tips such as checkups in the dentist if I'm to continue pipe smoking long term, and to own more than one, to give others a "rest".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Sorry for bumping. I'm curious about the pipe seconds thing, do you know if they still do them?

I'm looking to get one as sort of a half-gag gift, so ideally, I'm looking to spend as little as possible. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I can honestly say I haven't seen anybody smoking a pipe for years, well not one with a legal substance in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ha. Friend of mine is doing science, we want to get him a pipe to lend him credibility. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

the_syco wrote: »
    Going to buy a pipe.
    How old are you? Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Er, I'm 30 and smoke a pipe occasionally, age doesn't, or shouldn't, matter a jot.

My grandfather smoked one, and I always loved the smell, so I thought, why not?

I got my first one two years ago, and enjoy relaxing with my pipe, on my rocking chair, with a glass of Laphroaig, the smokeyness of the Scotch compliments the pipe beautifully, and it is one of the most relaxing things a person can do, in my opinion.

I also smoke the Peterson's Deluxe mixture.

Sorry for bumping. I'm curious about the pipe seconds thing, do you know if they still do them?

I'm looking to get one as sort of a half-gag gift, so ideally, I'm looking to spend as little as possible. :)
    Got a pipe for €40, but some of the second-pipes go for cheaper. Didn't llike the look of them, though.
    Probably younger than you are :P

=-=

Don't smoke it all that often now, as I live with non-smokers, and thus it wouldn't be polite to do so. If done correctly, it can be kept lit for about 25 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement