Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ssangyong, Rexton, Commercial

Options
  • 15-10-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ssangyong/Rexton/2.9-RX-2/200942195499606/advert?channel=CARS#

Hi

I am thinking about buying this vehicle. I currently have a VW Passat 1.8T Auto that costs me a fortune on a weekly basis.

Can anyone tell me what they are like as I am having trouble with getting reviews and stats.

Reliability:
    MPG:

As its a commercial do I pay VAT? I am not self employed but I do need the space inthe back as I have bikes / gear that I use for sport.

Does anyone know what the tax is and if my insurance will be any higher as its a commercial.

As you can see I know nothing about commercial vehicles so any adive is welcomed.

Thanks in advance!.

Potsy
    They were not all 'Happy Days'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Wouldn't imagine that will be cheaper to run either. Why not just buy a diesel Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

EPM wrote: »
    Wouldn't imagine that will be cheaper to run either. Why not just buy a diesel Passat?

buddy of mine has that jeep but not commerical. over 120k miles and never a days trouble. they have a mercedes engine plus the automatic gearbox he has, is a merc derivitive as well. ur biggest reason for looking at this, is the reason u shouldnt buy it. there not economical. there 2.7 diesel ...same if not worse mpg than what u have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the most hideous thing ever devised, who ever buys this deserves to have it impaled on a tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Neighbours of mine bought a brand new one of these last year. It's now sitting in their yard extinct like the dinosaur it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

Steet Jesus you must be out of your mind - its a piece of filth - Everyone will point and laugh at you if you buy that! - You obviously know nothing about cars!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Insurance will be higher as its a commercial and the no claims bonus earned on a car is not transferable. Also ssangyongs are dung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jayotala

The 290 ain't great... not that they gave trouble but they have no power behind em... wouldn't pull ya outta bed on a hot sunny day.

The 270 rexton is actually a great engine thou. Don't give trouble. The only ones that have problems are the ones that aren't looked after by the owners and I'm not just talking about not servicing them, I'm talking about simple things like checking oil levels and stuff. Simple reason is there is no oil level sensor in them, so generally when they start knocking its because they're out of oil and have pretty much been driven to destruction. Gear boxes don't give trouble at all. Diffs only give trouble when drivers leave em stuck in 4wd on normal roads cause they don't understand how 4wd systems work, hence the reason they go bang. Clutches fail cause people don't know how to drive and end up abusing em, driving like its a race car, over loading the trailer. Oh and of course if dodgy fuel is used, common rail system is very sensitive as with all makes.

They're a great machine, just not as common as the land cruiser. Just cause its cheap doesn't mean its a great deal thou, it could be cheap for a reason. I'd be looking to buy one from a SsangYong dealer with a full main dealer service history. These guys are backed by Nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I know it's not the same model but it's the same engine and manufacturer and since informed opinions are rare on this site I've copied a review I wrote a few years ago.
    We owned a Ssangyong and Daewoo Musso (same car) and both were equally unreliable from new. I do not know why the father insisted on buying another! Anyway we're on a Hilux now.

There were literally too many faults to list, but i'll give it a go.

Paint peeling off a week after delivery, 4wd transfer case kept breaking on both (it's a vacuum seal system and it just doesn't work) resulting in the dealer continaully fixing it. After the warranty ran out they were both permanently 2WD. The heater broke, central locking failed, diesel injectors replaced, lacquer peeled off alloys in carwash, radio died, constantly leaks oil & diesel, driveshaft came loose wrecking the clutch, bull bar fell off (admittedly a dealer fit option, rev-counter broken, glove box handle broke, signs of premature rust, windscreen washer broke, failed to start many times although this was never diagnosed. The spring in the ignition failed in the Daewoo version which is a first for me. This meant you had to turn the key back to its default position after you'd started it to stop the starter spinning.

In addition there was the usual litany of rattles and squeaks we never bothered complaining about.

Our cars did not have an unreasonably hard life in a third world country as they spent most of the time on the road in Ireland. We know how a part time four wheel drive system works and treated it sympathetically.

The Ssangyong is a badly built, unreliable, cheaply finished turd box and I am not the only owner who thinks so.

Overall such quality issues are totally unacceptable and the people building these cars should be ashamed of the product that they send around the world destroying the hard won reputation of the Korean car industry.

That said, the Rexton may be OK, I don't know and most people here don't either apart from the guy above me I'd say. Stay away from the 290 though. Dodgy injectors and it's not even common rail. By the way it's not really a Merc engine, (if even that's a good thing these days), it's a Merc-Benny design assembled in Korea using local parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

Potsy

For what it's worth, i've been driving a kyron for nearly two years, commercial 2ltr, does 800km to a tank on average and has given no trouble, good load space in the rear,

4 wheel drive has taken me up some sh1te mountain tracks for work with no hassles;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

As i sit here smugly i say to the OP that there is a reason that machine only costs 5.9k.These yokes were designed for farmers in their later years who like to look into fields as they drive on public roads,these said farmers think that the numbers 4 and 5 on a gear stick are there for aesthetic reasons.

Get yourself a 2003 land cruiser

• Advertisement
Advertisement