Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick to Ennis train

Options
  • 14-10-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I looking for some feedback on the Limerick to Ennis train service is it a good service and are you welcoming of the extension to Galway. All feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's not too bad I suppose. The journey to Galway will be slow if it ever gets going as the train goes to Athenry first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I used the service on two occasion and found it reasonable enough but I was surprised at the journey time of 1 hr 50 min from Limerick to Galway. The journey by road is 65 miles and for the train to take nearly two hours to get there is not much incentive to use it has anyone heard of any other times quoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

limerick-shannon train would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

electron wrote: »
    limerick-shannon train would be handy.

A train service to and from the airport would be brilliant.

Limerick to Galway by train would work better if there was a reasonable travel time and not what is there at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I assume that this current time of 1 hr 50 min will be reduced if the service is sucessfull. IR will start to improve the tracks and reduce the no of level crossings. I was under the impression that when the new tracks were laid that they would be been able to straighten out the route and a travel time of 70 to 80 mins between Limerick and Galway was achievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1h 50 still beats the 2.5 hour bus though!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

T Corolla wrote: »
    I assume that this current time of 1 hr 50 min will be reduced if the service is sucessfull. IR will start to improve the tracks and reduce the no of level crossings. I was under the impression that when the new tracks were laid that they would be been able to straighten out the route and a travel time of 70 to 80 mins between Limerick and Galway was achievable

Don't hold your breath there, given the state of the country's finances funding for this type of upgrade may take years if it happens at all. On the other hand the N18 Gort/Crusheen bypass is already underway so when that opens the road journey time will be reduced even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Given at the moment to go to Galway by train you'd have to go to Heuston, or Portarlington/Portlaoise perhaps and change onto Heuston-Galway there

Limk-Galway might be a bit of a white elephant seeing as they are putting restrictions of 50mph on considerable sections of the track and using unattractive noisy commuter railcars....Its an intercity service it need proper intercity rolling stock.

I use the Ennis service a good bit, the peak services are busy enough...At almost 12 euro return it could be cheaper though. They should be calling at the new Sixmilebridge station before the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

myself and my friend did this journey in just under an hour in april, we were bombing it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    myself and my friend did this journey in just under an hour in april, we were bombing it tho.

From Limerick to Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Citylink bus does it in 1hr 30 mins.

Advertisement