Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help deciding on a Dob

Options
  • 14-10-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm relativley new to astronomy but have been observing with a decent pair of binoculars for a few months now. Im currently interested in getting my hands on a decent 8" - 12" Dob. Ive found 2 scopes that im thinking of buying. One is a Meade Lightbridge 10" for just under €600 and the other is this http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p42_GSO-Dobson-250-1250mm---Aktionsmodell.html

Keeping in mind that money isn't really a problem, should i pay the extra 100ish euro for the better optics that meade provide? Both come with identical focuser's. The lightbridge doesn't come with a tarp to cover the truss system which is annoying, but i have heard nothing but good things about Meade telescopes.

Any help is appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

I bought the 250c from telescop-express about 2 years ago, very happy with it.
    The eyepieces that come with it are ok, I have now bought some hyperions and they are much better.

I was under the impression that unless you get a (very rare) lemon of a mirror, the optics are pretty similar, and you need to be quite experienced to see the difference. And in Ireland, the quality of the sky is 99% of the time going to be the limiting factor, not the optics of the mirror. Saying this, I have never looked through another telescope, so this is just what I have read.

You might get some more experienced opinions if you post over at IFAS

Advertisement