Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is the leaving cert chemistry paper?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Just wondering if there is a big difference between the higher and ordinary level papers?
    I was hoping to earn at-least a C/B in higher if not then a A in ordinary.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you're at a B/C level for the higher level paper, then doing the ordinary level paper would be ill-advised. An A1 in ordinary is only worth a C3 in higher. I might advise looking at the past papers in both HL and OL, they are freely available online I think, as you are the best judge of what is within your abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Leaving Cert chemistry is fairly simple, but to get a good grade you need to work at it. It's not really a subject you can just coast in, there are things you simply need to learn off (Ions, Chemical Bond Shapes, certain chemical equations, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Iamcharlie wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is a big difference between the higher and ordinary level papers?
    I was hoping to earn at-least a C/B in higher if not then a A in ordinary.

Work hard.

Mentally Gifted people are very rare.

We need hard workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

It does take work because there's a load of definitions and experiments that you need to know and that doesn't come from being naturally intelligent. A little hard work will most definitely pay off. Maybe talking to your teacher would help you decide on higher or ordinary level? But if you feel you can do fairly well in higher then you should go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fannyadams

Hi guys, I'm in TY at the moment. I got 11 A's in my Junior Cert - all higher level. I am aiming for 600 points in the leaving cert, hopefully. I was thinking of keeping on Chemistry for the Leaving Cert. Can anybody tell me is it rare to get an A1 or does it require having no life with studying for it. If you do a nice but of study and learn all the stuff you need to it easy to get an A1 or A2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Past papers, past papers and more past papers :D Do this and you have a great chance at getting a high B if not an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

fannyadams wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm in TY at the moment. I got 11 A's in my Junior Cert - all higher level. I am aiming for 600 points in the leaving cert, hopefully. I was thinking of keeping on Chemistry for the Leaving Cert. Can anybody tell me is it rare to get an A1 or does it require having no life with studying for it. If you do a nice but of study and learn all the stuff you need to it easy to get an A1 or A2?

I found it pretty easy tbh. As long as you keep up with homework and stuff I find it all makes sense/ is sort of intuitive which makes it way easier to remember. I did higher level and got an A1 in both my mocks and the real thing, and there was a good few A's in the class overall so I don't think it's rare to get an A. I think it's by far the easiest science subject to do, but then again Im doing chemistry in college now so I could be a bit biased...

But you found it easy enough at the time of sitting the leaving? Thanks for your help :)

Yeah it was easy enough as long as you keep up with it.

And did you do well in it for the Junior Cert?

• Advertisement

Ya I got 8 As and 2 Bs I think with an A in science (all honours)

Okay thanks a million :)

No problem. Good luck!

Advertisement