Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Festivals .. feedback welcomed...

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I launched http://www.childrensfestivals.ie/ the other day ... and I'm interested in any feedback ... its a simple enough site listing various festivals / locations and links to find out more all from the one location.

Any feedback welcomed .. be gentle . I used too much jquery on this one :D

IE6 does cause some issues as well (unfortunately didn't have time to fully debug the issues yet)

James

Comments

It looks good. I did note that the nav div expands way off to the right in the browser (linux FF3) giving a horizontal scrollbar at 1024 width, but setting a width for the div sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

It looks good. I did note that the nav div expands way off to the right in the browser (linux FF3) giving a horizontal scrollbar at 1024 width, but setting a width for the div sorts it.

Lovely thanks hopefully sorted now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

The website looks great! I really like it, I don't think there's anything to change! Well Done!

Lovely thanks hopefully sorted now smile.gif

Glad to help. jQuery rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Looks good - only concerns would be how easy it would be to use the map if there are a lot more dots on it, and also how it's not possible to bookmark or send a link to a specific event to someone. No contact details provided at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

eoin wrote: »
    Looks good - only concerns would be how easy it would be to use the map if there are a lot more dots on it

Good point though these were the main festivals involved in the site so for the moment it'll stay this way.
    and also how it's not possible to bookmark or send a link to a specific event to someone.

Another good point ... :) I'll look into www.website/#baboro autoscrolling to that section on load :)
    No contact details provided at all.

Yeah .. there isn't one person in charge of the site as such I'll have to see which one wants to take on the extra responsibility. They are all up to their necks at the moment as most of the festivals have kicked off this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I think it's good, but could be better.

The main header of the site & the colour schemes are nice but I think it's kind of missing a target & point. It feels a little bit like you started the visual design and jQuery stuff too early and forgot about the core goal of the site. The about tab is just stuck into the design as an after thought.

The opening page is very blank and doesn't communicate anything to me, it's not good to have such a blank space there. It would be very useful to browse the festivals with a calendar view rather than just location. I think the 'October is children's month in Ireland' text is just thrown in there when it shoul dbe integrated into the header as it's a core part of the site. Overall, I think the title of the site isn't very communicative of the goal. "Children's festivals in Ireland' implies that this is about lots of childrens festivals, whereas the real point of the site is Children's Month. For someone who doesn't know much about the site there's a big difference between those too.

Overall, it's not bad, you've done a lot of things right. The design is pleasant and easy to use and it's functional. However, I think you need to put a bit more thought into who your visitors are, what's the core goal of the site, and how people will use it, as it's slightly missing that right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nicecube

Nice site! A few things I noticed...
    • The main body/link font doesnt look great, doesnt seem to be rendering on my screen?
    • The image scroller at the bottom is a bit jumpy.
    • It isnt intuitive that the dots on the map are clickable, plus i would colour code the nav beside (Aisling, Baboro etc) so each listing ties in with the corresponding dot.
    • I think the map and content area on the right could be made to look more integrated as they look a little separated at the moment.
    • Is there only 1 main navigation item 'About Us'?
    Hope they help.

Paul

Advertisement