Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menupages nights what a rip off!!

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there
    I' m not sure has anyone else has had the experience of a Menupages night. But i have and they are awful!!

You pay €50 for a 3 course meal (in a restaurant Menupages choose) wine and entry into Lillies Bordello.
    I had heard the girls in work talk about one of these evenings and they had said that they are really good, that the wine keeps flowing and that it's worth the money.

I went along with a friend of mine to the most recent evening in the Dylan Hotel. We were offered one small cocktail on arrival at 8pm. I met some of my friends from work (8 of them). The event manager from menupages, told us that the 10 of us could sit together ( at 8.30pm), 45 minutes later (9.15pm) she informs us that no, she couldn't put us together and in fact we would have to split into groups of threes ( bearing in mind we came in couples this was not ideal)!!!

I sat down to a dinner an hour and a half after arriving and on our table was an advert for the Dylan Restaurant stating that there is an €30 deal for a 3 course meal Thursday to Sunday, (we had this dinner on a Thursday night).
    http://www.dylan.ie/upload/dylan-tabledhote-earlybird.pdf i wondered why are we paying €50? for a €30 meal????, But thought that the Dylan deal didn’t include the wine that we were going to have.......For the whole night we each received ONLY 1 glass of wine, it was not worth the money the €20 extra for this meal!!

Some of the girls from work had noted that the wine was flowing less frequently since its first night a few months ago when about 30 people turned up. There was about 100 people at this evening last week.

I sat beside the manager of menupages ( sorry i should give him his proper title, CEO)who was obnoxious and arrogant when i complained, stating that i should talk to Joe Duffy if i need to complain. What kind of customer services is that?

It was an example of a business that would have worked in the Celtic Tiger times when people had the money to throw around, but in the next few months is going to suffer. It doesn’t deserve to succeed with that type of management and customer service.

And when we went to Lillies it was free in any way!!

I felt completely ripped off and annoyed and just wondering has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

Hi Louise

I hope we can offer a better service on our site, as would consider menupages a competitor to some extend. Just to show how nice we are over here, direct message me and I will gladly make up for where menupages failed, and give you a voucher for the Dylan to avail of that mid week dinner offer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,102 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

what were you expecting when you introduced a middle man who is only doing it to make a profit. Its not difficult to find a good restuarant for a meal, if you go to an event with hoards of people (100+), expect to be treated like cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mellor wrote: »
    what were you expecting when you introduced a middle man who is only doing it to make a profit. Its not difficult to find a good restuarant for a meal, if you go to an event with hoards of people (100+), expect to be treated like cattle.

Maybe she expected to get what she paid for!
    In theory, the middle man's buying power could benefit everyone.
    In fairness, she was sharing her experience and warning others off it.
    Telling her it's her own fault and was to be expected is neither constructive or nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This wouldn't be the first time menupages have been accused of poor business practices.

If you do a search for them in the "consumer issues" forum you will also see their reviews cannot be trusted at all. Basically, people shouldn't be using their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 louise lucy

Hi all

thanks for your comments, all very good and helpful. i have never been on boards.ie before, this event drove me to this site and wondered had anyone else had any experience of this company? This is a great website!

I'm considering listening to the advice of the menupages manager and going on Joe Duffy just to complain.

I appreciate all comments negative or positive, usually I wouldnt go to this type of gig, but it was my friends in work going on how great this night was!!!

I'm just highlighting this scam and the company's, (particulary their CEO's) attitude towards their customers. I work in sales and the customer is always right!! I was not looking for grovelling or apologies, but i didnt expect mocking of me from the manager. In a recession loyalty is key, repeat business is alot easier to receive than attracting new customers.

Thanks again for all your comments

Regards
    Louise Lucy:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,102 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe she expected to get what she paid for!
    In theory, the middle man's buying power could benefit everyone.
    In fairness, she was sharing her experience and warning others off it.
    Telling her it's her own fault and was to be expected is neither constructive or nice.

And I was simply warning her off these schemes in general. A private group will benefit from bulk, a commercial venture is there to make a quick buck.
    I don't see how it wasn't constructive, if the OP or others avoid these type of schemes based on it. I never said it was nice either. Boo-hoo, there there, shoulder to cvry on is less constructive in my opinion, and not what the OP wanted.

I doubt the OP took it personally, and it wasn't intended as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

If it sounds too good to be true...

Advertisement