Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlakRoc

Options
  • 14-10-2009 12:41pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

BlakRoc is a project with a rock band called The Black Keys and a few different hip hop artists. It looks like Dame Dash is in charge of this project and has the likes of Mos Def and the RZA coming in to record. They are releasing videos weekly of recording sessions, they are really cool and gives an insight into how different people work when they get in the studio.

There is some really cool stuff in this, Mos Def coming in all excited and getting straight down to business, another guy (Jim Jones i think) coming in and just joking and doing his verse. Then the RZA coming in and taking control of everything.

I have to admit, i like the songs i've heard from this so far, great collaborations.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Really liking this. Had two black keys albums and really liked them and love the likes of Mos Def, Q-tip, RZA etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

just heard a bit of juicy gossip, apparently Onyx, that's right, the angry bald guys, are not happy with this project at all.
    Onyx (sans Sonny) have been busy recording and investing time and money into a new project of thier own called Black Rock which is due to drop very soon.

Here's the lead single which i have to admit, i'm digging it.

And here's the boyos yapping about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Some really nice stuff in this, will have to listen to some Black Keys albums. Also, never really listened to much of Jim Jones stuff before but he is really nice on these tracks, will have to chem him out. New ep with Q-tip below

BlakRoc is set to feature Jim Jones, the RZA, Raekwon, Mos Def, Q-Tip, Billy Danze and Pharoahe Monch.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Sounds pretty cool alright, will def be checking for this when it's released.

Loved the way Rza came in and picked up the guitar and took over!

The tracklisting below is official, though guests remain unconfirmed:

1. Coochie (feat. Ludacris & Ol' Dirty Bastard)
    2. On The Vista (feat. Mos Def)
    3. Hard Times (feat. NOE)
    4. Dollaz & Sense (feat. Pharoahe Monch & RZA)
    5. Why Can't I Forget Him (feat. Nicole Wray)
    6. Stay Off The F*%$#n' Flowers (feat. Raekwon)
    7. Ain't Nothing Like You (feat. Jim Jones & Mos Def)
    8. Hope You're Happy (feat. Billy Danze (of M.O.P.), Nicole Wray & Q-Tip)
    9. Tellin' Me Things (feat. RZA)
    10. What You Do To Me (feat. Billy Danze (of M.O.P.), Jim Jones & Nicole Wray)
    11. Done Did It (feat. Nicole Wray & NOE)

Week 9 features Pharoah Monch, nice to see how he is in the studio

Monch is class, and nice to see the insight into how he works. Hope to god he drops a new album soon

• Advertisement

The album is out, very good.

yep just got it, giving it a spin now

Yeah, really liking this!

good lord, even the missus likes it!

No way!! I must try it on the woman, fed up of listening to travis and bob dylan with her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I just listened to the track with Raekwon, and the one with RZA and Pharoahe, both are really good ill definetly check this out!

the one song that doesnt really fit is the ODB and Luda track, on it's own it's quite good but it doesnt quite tie in with the sound of the rest of the album.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    the one song that doesnt really fit is the ODB and Luda track, on it's own it's quite good but it doesnt quite tie in with the sound of the rest of the album.

Was just about to post this!! :rolleyes: I thought it was quite a strange opening track for the album because it really gives you no indication what the rest of it is about. Really like the rza and monche track and also Jim Jones verses, very good i thought. Must get round to listening to the 2nd half of the album later on...

Where's the vid with ODB in the studio with them? :)

lol! I was thinking a bit about this today, as far as i remember, ODB was signed to Rocafella for a while, did Dash manage to hold on to his unreleased verses?

• Advertisement

Rae is a beast, and also a funny fecker :D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    lol! I was thinking a bit about this today, as far as i remember, ODB was signed to Rocafella for a while, did Dash manage to hold on to his unreleased verses?

He must have slipped a couple of tapes in his pocket on the way out the building ;)

Great album, has great potential for mainstream crossover i think if gets the right push

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ye h its great although I cant identify a tune that will get much daytime airplay.

BlakRoc & RZA on Jimmy Fallon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Was just about to post this!! :rolleyes: I thought it was quite a strange opening track for the album because it really gives you no indication what the rest of it is about. Really like the rza and monche track and also Jim Jones verses, very good i thought. Must get round to listening to the 2nd half of the album later on...

This didn't actually make the final cut - not on the version i have anyway (am i the only one actually paying for music here?).

Yea, its unreleased vocals from a recording ODB did with Luda back on his rocafella dirt mcgirt days that never got released. anyway, according to Dame Dash he wanted to throw it on there to give ODB some post humus shine, get his name back out there and maybe let his family cash a royalty cheque or too. anyway, Luda and his camp blocked it - Luda wasn't happy with how his vocals sounded or something.

Considering he is generally an asshole (why you think Kanye and Dame are so cool, they assholes!) but he came across as really enthusiastic about the project, sincere and passionate. hopefully if he keeps associating with projeccts of this calibre he can make a come back.

Although maybe thats just because he's broke - he's being very Jay-z friendly recently talking about the beanie sigel thing, stressing how much love he has for Jay etc. Funny, he wasn't been so nice when he set Cam'ron on Jay around the time kingdom come dropped!

Advertisement