Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Roll-out of 4G Internet network by 2012

• 14-10-2009 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 Tech3

Around 200 new jobs are set to be created as a result of the roll-out of a new high-speed 4G Internet network across the country.

The Irish-owned communications firm Imagine says it will provide high-speed access to 90% of the country by 2012 through its new WiMax technology.

Phase one of the scheme, which covers a quarter of a million homes, will be completed by the middle of next month.

One hundred million euro is being invested in the project.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/business/rollout-of-4g-internet-network-to-create-200-jobs-1912560.html

As I'm not up to date with the new topologies for networking (was going through a 3g introduction when I qualified from college) this 4g network provides a nominal rate of 100Mbits/sec according to wikipedia. Obviously this will be very dependent on the signal, amount of users in a single cell and the weather conditions. It still is a huge boost for broadband infrastructure in Ireland. Perhaps someone may know more about the 4th generation network?

Wimax is using the OFDM techonlogy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭ Sponge Bob

Yawn. This is a RIPWAVE replacement now that ripwave is unsellable because of its awful reputation.

It will not cover 90% of the state.

It will not even cover the 90% of the population who occupy the most densely populated 65% of the state by area.

It runs at 5.3ghz or 3.5ghz or at similar high frequencies all with propogation and building penetration 'issues' . Expect the modem to live on the window sill most of the time hunting for signal vestiges .

Nor will it create 200 jobs ...excepting maybe 20-30 jobs in their large call centre .....which is in Armagh.

Spin waffle and marketing guff, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ ryanch09

3 Ireland already has a 4G network but speeds are very slow. I Sometimes plug my phone into the PC and use the internet. Not very good unlike my 10mb broadband from UPC at home :p:p:p:p:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

ryanch09 wrote: »
    3 Ireland already has a 4G network but speeds are very slow. I Sometimes plug my phone into the PC and use the internet. Not very good unlike my 10mb broadband from UPC at home :p:p:p:p:p

3's network is HSDPA which is generally seen as "3.5G", Imagine's network is WIMAX. But you're lucky to get HSDPA, it degrades to normal UMTS ("3G") and then GPRS ("2.5G") - not sure if 3 have EDGE ("2.75G")deployed at all.

Advertisement