Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you enjoy research?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

To anyone involved in scientific research; what do like most about it? what motivates you to work in your field? Why did you choose the research option over, say, industry or something more "applied".

In my very limited experience, I enjoyed having autonomy over my own project in that the title and aims were not specified for me. I also found it very rewarding to pick an area I was interested in, to read the relevant literature in depth and then to construct a methodologically sound experiment to answer the research question I had formulated. I also felt as if I contributed somehow (even if only a small amount) to an existing scientific knowledge base.

So, why do you enjoy research?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Valmont wrote: »
    I also found it very rewarding to pick an area I was interested in, to read the relevant literature in depth and then to construct a methodologically sound experiment to answer the research question I had formulated.
    I have so far found it quite rewarding to have a research area selected for me (by virtue of the fact that this is the only place that would have me), skim over a few random article abstracts on my chosen topic (not easy to read papers and post on boards at the same time), which then form the basis of some semi-cogent experiment, the aim of which is not entirely clear and will be justified retrospectively, and subsequently stumble upon a previously unpublished discovery entirely by chance. Yep, research is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

djpbarry wrote: »
    ... which then form the basis of some semi-cogent experiment, the aim of which is not entirely clear and will be justified retrospectively, and subsequently stumble upon a previously unpublished discovery entirely by chance. Yep, research is fun.

Maybe a career change is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I kid.

Cynicism is on over-drive at the moment as I'm writing up my thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarah_anne

ye all of the above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I love my job simply because Ive a big head. I love doing whats never been done before or doing something where others have failed. Its an ego thing but added to that what I do saves lives and that has a feel good factor to it. My job is perfect except for the pay, I dont know about anyone else but for me research pay is terrible, 10 years ago before I had a degree I earned substancly more working as a technician! I get more job satisfaction now but Im seriously thinking about resigning simply because the pay is so poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Offy wrote: »
    I get more job satisfaction now but Im seriously thinking about resigning simply because the pay is so poor.

I did not know pay was bad in this area. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 winnow

The creation of new ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Valmont wrote: »
    To anyone involved in scientific research; what do like most about it?

I love researching fringe sciences because i find out things and figure out how stuff works and because what i research probably wont be published in peer reviewed scientific journals i end up finding out stuff that very people know about , thats what i like to find out , to know more than mainstream scientists .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

djpbarry wrote: »
    I have so far found it quite rewarding to have a research area selected for me (by virtue of the fact that this is the only place that would have me), skim over a few random article abstracts on my chosen topic (not easy to read papers and post on boards at the same time), which then form the basis of some semi-cogent experiment, the aim of which is not entirely clear and will be justified retrospectively, and subsequently stumble upon a previously unpublished discovery entirely by chance. Yep, research is fun.

Ha ha, I love it
    (14 more posts and I get a "Thanks" button)

Advertisement