Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch refinishing in dublin?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭

HI all,

I was wondering does anyone know of somewhere/someone in dublin that is skilled in the art of refinishing / polishing a watch case.

i have just received a pre owned, lightly worn tag grand carrera but it has one small dink and some marks on a brushed finish that i would like removed.

Can anyone recommend someone to undertake this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Try Bridge Jewellers in Ballsbridge. Got a lot of work done there and I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I bought an IWC a while back with a few marks on the brushed surface. I brought it to Dawson Jewellers and they charged around e50 to make it good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

good job, can you tell the difference in the brushing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

as an aside i called into a local 'fast fix' repair centre, they reckon that they can laser weld the ding and refinish, it would only cost €45.

has anyone ever heard of this, and is it something to consider, instead of taking the change of an over zealous jeweller ruining the case lines by over sanding/polishing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Laser weld? sheesh that's some bloody powerful laser it true. That's the prob with refinishing. They can over polish. I know in the vintage market a dinged watch is usually valued higher than a refinished watch for that reason. I'd be interested in seeing work they had already done to see if it matches the finish of the original. Some are good, but all too often they can overdo it. Brushed finishes are the hardest to replicate IMHO(ditto wth chromed).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Cyrus wrote: »
    good job, can you tell the difference in the brushing?

Nope, it blended in perfectly. I'd certainly bring any other work to them in future.

Advertisement