Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Feedback - www.theisbook.com

Options
  • 13-10-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some quick feedback on a site I've been working on recently, it's near completion and I'm just waiting on a few more pieces of content, but I'd love to get some opinions on it.

http://www.theisbook.com/

It's for a recently published book about the phenomenon of the Facebook status so I went with a Facebook theme for that reason :) I found the theme from the wordpress theme search so I can only presume it is ok to use it in the public domain, any thoughts? I had to chop and change quite a bit but I'm happy enough with the layout now.

Any comments welcome as I'm sure there's a few bits and pieces need tweaking before we go live.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I'm not a fan of this solution - I use Facebook daily, I'm used to its layout very much and seeing FB redone as a website with different functionality is really confusing, big step back in terms of usability.

Seeing how the book is about Facebook you probably want to attract frequent FB users just like me, so perhaps it makes sense to rethink it and use some more general theme with more subtle FB accents?

BTW themes usually have terms and conditions of use attached so that you know if you can use it commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

herya wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of this solution - I use Facebook daily, I'm used to its layout very much and seeing FB redone as a website with different functionality is really confusing, big step back in terms of usability.

Seeing how the book is about Facebook you probably want to attract frequent FB users just like me, so perhaps it makes sense to rethink it and use some more general theme with more subtle FB accents?

BTW themes usually have terms and conditions of use attached so that you know if you can use it commercially.

Thanks for the comments heyra, I see your point and yes it was a factor when myself and the author sat down and decided on a design.

The plan was to go ahead and use the fb theme we both thought it was a nice concept but at the same time we decided make an effort to differntiate the site from facebook to avoid such confusion.

I think to a certain extent I have done that with the landing image and just looking at the links on the site at the top and the left, it should be clear you are not on facebook. Though I do agree it may cause brief confusion, it should become obvious as users navigate the site.

I think for the moment we will stick with the design, the author want's the site up in the next day or two and it really isn't feasible at this stage to completely redesign. Once again thanks for the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Absolutely agree. I think the Facebook this is confusing and while I think your idea is nice, I think the whole concept could have been solved with a giant photo of the 'add as friend' link in facebook.

Nice idea, but doesn't work in practice. It's trying to be too clever for it's own good. I really don't think you should stick with it though, I think the author will lose sales as a result of this design.

p wrote: »
    I think the whole concept could have been solved with a giant photo of the 'add as friend' link in facebook

Thanks p appreciate it, however I don't agree with the above statement. It's very difficult to replicate what I've done with the site on a facebook fan page. I wouldn't have any control over layout, adding extra content pages or the landing image amongst other things.

I personally think I've done enough to distinguish it from a facebook profile, from showing it to friends I'm getting the reaction that it feels like facebook but they are aware it's not facebook. The author is very happy with it at the moment, but as we get more visitors and feedback it will become clear if a design overhaul is required and I do take your comments on board. Thanks again for the input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The purpose of the site seems to have been lost a bit. The site is to promote the book and sell it, right?

There's a really easy promotion method available which is tempting us with a FREE sample chapter. There's also a great opportunity to use the Forward Sample Chapter to a Friend method of promotion.

Tell us why we should buy, prominently in the body of the homepage (Give a few reasons like: Want something for the coffee table, this is perfect because...., read sample now/buy now!)

As you're not directly selling from the site, put the outlets in a column say on the right hand side with some call to action design element. Users shouldn't have to go to a seperate Where to Buy page.

The current Buy Now from Amazon at the bottom of the lhs is in the wrong place and is too easily missed as it doesn't catch the eye at all.

There's a few more methods you're not using and the facebook theme isn't helping as the sites are not really comparable.

• Advertisement

Thanks tricky, good advice on the preview, I had a look found a preview on google books and it permits you to embed into your own code which I have done, it works pretty well.

I have added some 'why you should buy' text to the homepage too, I'm sure it can be improved upon by the author, and I'm thinking of adding a prominent "buy from amazon" link/image into the homepage image.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Personally I feel it's extremely confusing. The facebook layout and design wasn't made to "sell" anything. By using this layout you are completely losing the potential customer.
    Call-to-actions are too small and hidden in the corner.

The links on the LHS are more prominent than the ones on top and therefore you are sending potential customers to external websites.

I think the concept to have some relevance to the facebook site is a good idea, but I think you've gone way too far. You don't need to totally rip a design to bring in a level of familiarity.

IMHO you've created something that will only confuse those interested in buying this book.

I agree - the website is not functional and I can't see how it can serve its purpose (promoting and selling the book) seeing how it makes it difficult to explore the information. Visitor's first reaction is "close it".

I wholeheartedly recommend reading Don't Make Me Think and taking its motto to heart, it pays off. Confusion has no place in (even semi) professional web design.

Funny, I just received that book yesterday from amazon as I am trying to get serious about web design, you might have guessed I don't have much experience with commercial sites and the book looks really good for sorting out those usability issues.

As I said all comments taken on board, I really value your opinions and all the feedback is appreciated. I don't have the time right now to redesign the site as the author want's it live asap, but I will try get going on a new design starting from the ground up and hopefully get it right next time.

Good approach I think.

If I were you I'd just buy a WordPress template like this ($25, from ThemeForest.net) or similar:
    http://themeforest.net/theme_previews/preview_frame/58496?index=2
    You can then customise it with the book cover/assorted Facebook screenshots so that the FB flavour is there but does not hinder functionality.

• Advertisement

herya wrote: »
    Good approach I think.

If I were you I'd just buy a WordPress template like this ($25, from ThemeForest.net) or similar:
    http://themeforest.net/theme_previews/preview_frame/58496?index=2
    You can then customise it with the book cover/assorted Facebook screenshots so that the FB flavour is there but does not hinder functionality.

Great stuff heyra, I'll definitely look into it. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, $25 is not a lot for that extra bit of quality.

jebuz wrote: »
    Thanks p appreciate it, however I don't agree with the above statement. It's very difficult to replicate what I've done with the site on a facebook fan page. I wouldn't have any control over layout, adding extra content pages or the landing image amongst other things.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, I meant a big giant version of this button! :)
    3659087039_431e4880ed_o.png
    And then maybe a more traditional book site like this:
    http://www.fivesimplesteps.co.uk/

p wrote: »
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, I meant a big giant version of this button! :)
    3659087039_431e4880ed_o.png
    And then maybe a more traditional book site like this:
    http://www.fivesimplesteps.co.uk/

I think I did get you :) you meant instead of creating a site themed on facebook, just link to the facebook group page for the book? And my point was you don't have very much control over how a facebook page appears, i.e adding custom images and pages...was that right?

Thanks for the feedback anyway, I took a look at that site and I agree, it's very nice and simple with a lot of the approaches mentioned above put into practice.

jebuz wrote: »
    I think I did get you :) you meant instead of creating a site themed on facebook, just link to the facebook group page for the book?
    Nope, I still don't mean that. I meant that you don't need to use a facebook theme to have the nice association with facebook. Using one important visual element like the 'add as friend' as a visual element can create the link in people's minds, and you can still sell things in a traditional way.

Still, I know you're learning and it's important to try things out and experiment with them. If you're not making a few mistakes here and there you're not trying hard enough. :)

Here's two excellent articles which I think would be good for you to read.
    http://www.andyrutledge.com/eye-paths.php
    http://carsonified.com/blog/features/design/turning-visitors-into-users/

Advertisement