Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish MMA weigh-in scams

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I've been to a few MMA show lately and I think there's a lot of sneekyness with the weighing in of fighters, I've seen some guys giving away 7-10kg. Some shows didn't even have a weighing scale. I know some shows weigh in the day before but from what I've seen that's not to be trusted.

Has anyone else noticed this? I just dont think its fair on one fighter to bust his heart to make weight an then the opponent casualy weight in a few kilos heavier, sometimes 7 to 10 kilos heavier. And some promoters would hide the weight of the heavier man just to make sure he had a full fight card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I've been to a few MMA show lately and I think there's a lot of sneekyness with the weighing in of fighters, I've seen some guys giving away 7-10kg. Some shows didn't even have a weighing scale. I know some shows weigh in the day before but from what I've seen that's not to be trusted.

Has anyone else noticed this? I just dont think its fair on one fighter to bust his heart to make weight an then the opponent casualy weight in a few kilos heavier, sometimes 7 to 10 kilos heavier. And some promoters would hide the weight of the heavier man just to make sure he had a full fight card.

Which shows? Please give specific examples and dont forget pro fighter weigh in 24 hours beforehand and amateurs on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

That’s a pretty big allegation to make. Do you have any actual evidence that fighters haven’t made weight or are you just going on the fact that one fighter looks bigger than another come fight time? All shows that I know of do day before weigh in but there isn’t any need or point of having weighing scales on the night of the fight. People agree to be a certain weight the day before the show. What weight they are the day of the show is their own business. I’ve never been 65.8 kilos walking into a ring or cage but that’s the official weight I fight at.
    Some shows didn't even have a weighing scale. I know some shows weigh in the day before but from what I've seen that's not to be trusted.
    Well what have you actually seen?

Are you are a fighter or coach or conerman yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Obvious trolling attempt, leave him under the bridge where he belongs, single post on a new account and its this divisive? Give me a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tim mc manus

I've seen it first hand, I'm not gonna say any name of shows or clubs.

I just want other peoples opinion and have they seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

What have you seen exactly?
    You haven't answered any of my questions so it's hard to take you seriously to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I just want other peoples opinion and have they seen it happen.

I'll tell ya what I have seen happen -
    A fighter who knows how to cut weight properly, either form his own research or form training with guys who are in MMA long enough to know, cuts an amount of weight varying between 3 and 10 kilos (or more - this is just an example), makes weight the day before, puts the weight back on for the fight.

His opponent, who is either inexperienced, incapable of researching weight cutting, recently moved to MMA after leaving a Sport that had same day weigh ins and hasn't realised how greatly day before weigh in changes things, diets coming up to the event, makes weight the day before and is roughly the same weight at the fight.

The smaller fighter, his coach, corner man or supporters looks at the much larger opponent and says -
    "How in the world could someone that much bigger than me make the same weight as me yesterday? It couldn't possibly be that I am ignorant of how MMA weigh-ins work, he or the promoter must be cheating! I will immediately go and post anonymously on boards to seek justice"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

troll! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Ignore this. He isn't going to say which shows he apparently seen this at so it pointless getting wound up about it. Maybe he should grow a set and say which shows for fighters this statement applies to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lol look at the post count, he signed up just to post here bless :D

Welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'm closing this thread as its just an allegation without any substance, on a side note, if you want to discuss this through pm I'd be interested to hear your honest take on this without hiding behind a username.

As said before some people cut weight better than others, also some people look heavier or lighter than they are and this must be taken into account.

i don't really believe in same day weigh ins for any fighter who is getting punched in the head, the same risks apply whether your doing A or C class in this regards while standing and this is where the potential serious head injuries could happen, the reason is dehydration and the brain not been padded with the water, But its up to individual promoters to do what they feel is safest in this regard.

If a fighter cant cut weight correctly then he should simply move up a weight and fight without cutting but cutting weight is all part of a fighters training and is a skill in its self.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement