Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do I need a mattress for moses basket

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All,

We borrowed moses basket from sister in law, I am just wondering if there is any need to get a new mattress. As the mattress seems to be in good condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the advice is to always go with a new matress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I don't think theres a need if the mattress was only used once. The baby only sleeps in it for about 8 weeks depending on the size of it.

If you do want to get a new one they are cheap enough. The start at about €15 depending on the size of the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

All the advice I've come across is to have a new one for each baby. For the sake of a couple of quid, I wouldn't be ignoring the advice even if it is OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Was always told new mattress for each new baby. You can get them in Smyths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

thanks all for your advices, i will certainly get a new one. for few quid, i get peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I'm a bit clueless about this, but are baby mattresses that bad? I mean we sleep on the same mattress for years and years until there's any indication of a need to replace it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

ebmma wrote: »
    I'm a bit clueless about this, but are baby mattresses that bad? I mean we sleep on the same mattress for years and years until there's any indication of a need to replace it..

The diference between baby mattresses and adult ones is theirs are made of foam (moses & crib sizes) therefore can hold in a lot of dust over time and from that you get dust mites and so on. This in turn can cause alergies thats why they would recommend changing the mattress every time for a new baby. Hope this is some help for you.

The diference between baby mattresses and adult ones is theirs are made of foam (moses & crib sizes) therefore can hold in a lot of dust over time and from that you get dust mites and so on. This in turn can cause alergies thats why they would recommend changing the mattress every time for a new baby. Hope this is some help for you.

so what sort of time limit does a mattress have? Say a baby slept in the same cot from birth to 12 months or baby slept in there from birth to 4 weeks. You still change the mattress in both cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Its different for all matresses, in terms of moses baskets and cribs the mattress are thinner than wat you would get in a cot so only last the length of time the child will be using the crib/moses basket ie. 3-6 months depending wat you have. In terms of cot mattresses they would be thicker and come in a few different types such as foam, man made fibre , sprung and pocket sprung. They suggest you avoid foam for cots and cotbeds because you'll be using it alot longer. Fibre or sprung are the best for cots & cotbeds in terms of safety they'll also stay firmer for longer as foam will gradually start to dip after the first year.

• Advertisement

Its different for all matresses, in terms of moses baskets and cribs the mattress are thinner than wat you would get in a cot so only last the length of time the child will be using the crib/moses basket ie. 3-6 months depending wat you have. In terms of cot mattresses they would be thicker and come in a few different types such as foam, man made fibre , sprung and pocket sprung. They suggest you avoid foam for cots and cotbeds because you'll be using it alot longer. Fibre or sprung are the best for cots & cotbeds in terms of safety they'll also stay firmer for longer as foam will gradually start to dip after the first year.

Thanks, that makes way more sense than generic 'new mattress for every baby'. Really appreciate it.

Advertisement