Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10.6? Don't use your guest account.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The number of serious bugs in Snow Leopard is a bit worrying. I upgraded a few days after launchday and I haven't had any problems yet

Did Apple even bother to test the basics before it shipped the upgrade or were they in too much of a rush to get it out the door before Windows 7 shipped?. Apple must be very worried about the competition if they are willing to take such a risk and it may actually have backfired in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I read about that one and it's a pretty shocking bug to miss. I don't have much of a problem with smaller glitches and third party software incompatibilities (they can't test every single app anyway) and to a degree, they are to be expected but for something like this to make it into the final release is very, very poor indeed. I'm glad I don't use the guest account and hopefully nobody here has been affected by this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is the first serious bug in SL that I've heard of. And it must be pretty rare if we are only hearing about it now.

Anyway the moral of this story is always have a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Talisman

Anyway the moral of this story is always have a backup.
    Or don't be an early adopter of new OSes.

This happened to me only 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I booted into my guest account and as it was booting up I foolishly powered it down as I was in a rush, and when I rebooted, my account was reset.

All I can say, Time Machine.

It sure is a big bug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Talisman wrote: »
    Or don't be an early adopter of new OSes.

Or use Win 7 instead :):p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It should be pointed out, however, that the problem only affects users who upgraded from 10.5. As we discussed before release, doing an upgrade (as apposed to a clean install) is always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's ok if people are made aware that that option is not properly tested. AFAIK they are not told this and have a right to expect that it will work!

Perhaps if their development model was not so closed they might have spotted this in beta or release candidate testing :rolleyes: Apple are their own worst enemy sometimes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It should be pointed out, however, that the problem only affects users who upgraded from 10.5. As we discussed before release, doing an upgrade (as apposed to a clean install) is always a risk.

I think you might be defending the indefensible here.

Doing an upgrade is very much the 'standard' way to install 10.6, from what I've observed from the marketing material.

Sean_K wrote: »
    I think you might be defending the indefensible here.

Doing an upgrade is very much the 'standard' way to install 10.6, from what I've observed from the marketing material.
    Yeah, but there's always been a risk involved. Not so much losing data - which I agree is very serious - but there's been enough compatibility problems in the past to lead many people to always do a clean install, just in case. In fact, Apple changed the upgrade method in 10.6 and what we are referring to as an "upgrade" is actually a combination of the old "archive and install" and "upgrade" options. I suspect this may be might part of the problem.

Anyway, I don't mean to defend it. A bug is a bug - and this is a really bad one, especially in what was supposed to be a maintenance release.

I've noticed SMB file sharing is broken in 10.6 as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement