Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Help Needed

Options
  • 12-10-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Sorry if there are similar threads about this but I'm not able to do a search. I just have a question.

Oh and I'm a 6th year student.

I'm doing business as a subject. My teacher is just atrocious - extremely lazy and feckless. He seriously does nothing with us in class. So I was thinking of just diving right in to exam papers myself and start going down through the years. I said this to him myself, and he was like "no, no, there's a special method to doing long Qs which I will explain to yous through the year". I was like wtf?! Why can't he teach us this "special method" now?

But anyway - is there really a special method in answering long Qs? And is answering Exam Questions etc an effective way of teaching myself? I find merely reading through the book EXTREMELY tedious.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

PS - does anyone else have the Less Stress...version of Business? Is it me or does it leave A LOT out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cickimc

I have a friend who had much the same problem as the teacher was boring and not getting the work done in class! He just did the exam papers and got on well in them. I dont know about answering them with a special method. Maybe try and look up some of the exam paper methods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

If I were you I would just do the exam questions. Go to examinations.ie and print off the marking schemes so you know yourself what you get the marks for and what exactly they are looking for in your answers.They help a lot. As for the ABQ questions.. I can help you with those..

1) read the questions first
    2) divide the marks for a question by 5 to get the number of points to write. But if you get a question asking you to identify a list of things eg.characteristics,enterprise skills, always give an extra point.
    3) answer each point you make like this:
    state the point, explain the point, give extra sentence if the question says evaluate,analyse or discuss-here you give your opinion like an advantage or disadvantage( i think its good/bad because), then you quote from the text to show the relevance of the point you are making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cathyr

hey im doing business as well! the only thing with the long q's that my teacher has told us is not to answer the q's in an essay style answer. you have to use bullet points. as for doing questions from the papers i dont see how that wouldnt help you! go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm the same my teacher is dreadful and sits at the top of the class talking about nothing. When she does do work all we do is ordinary level questions because even though it's an honours class the majority of the class aren't able for honours. I've started studying from my book and after a topic try questions from the papers, it seems to be working but there's so much to do :(

For long questions try to have as many points as you can but if it's a 20 mark question try have about 5 long paragraphs if you can. Good Luck : ]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Business is fairly easy to do yourself, but there is a sort of specific way that you have to answer to get the marks. There's some three letter thing that I can't remember for the life of me that pretty much sums it up, something like SEE or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about? (Sorry, I did the LC last year... the details are kinda hazy now :o..)

Until I remember what the acronym is, basically the method is something like State, Explain, Example. So, make your point, explain that point, and then give an example. It doesn't have to be a real life example, so long as it illustrates your point, but giving examples is extremely important, so don't just leave it out.

Maybe have a read through some of the Marking Schemes and the notes that go with them (you can download them from www.examinations.ie) to give you an idea of the kind of detail they want? :)

EDIT: Oh, if you have the EDCO papers (or probably the Folen's ones do it too, I dunno) the little exam guide thingy should tell you how to divide up the marks, and the time. Again, I can't remember how you work it out now for the life of me, but particularly with timing, you need to be really careful, or you could get caught out very easily. You need to know how long you have for a question, and stick to that. Knowing the exact amount of points you'll need (for eg. 4 for a 20 marker, or whatever) makes keeping to a time frame easier, too. (Though, that's more exam technique, but still, timing in business is kinda key!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

its been a few years since i did my leavin cert but ill never forget business. had a useless good for nothin, 90% of the time hung over teacher. i averaged 28% in class exams.
    i tore into those papers like my life depended on it. i had rapid revision book i think.
    everything was bullet points, i found them easier to learn and was told their easier to read. even if it is a long question, list your bullet points and expand underneath. the thing with business is as far as i can remember the questions are pretty much to the point and repeat themselves year after year.
    that was my experience and i got some sort of B (my teacher said she'd have a stroke if i got that but she's still there)
    best of luck! :)

Advertisement