Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win an EXCLUSIVE Venue for you to have a party in **WINNER ANNOUNCED**

Options
  • 12-10-2009 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hello there

Ever fancy hosting an unusual party AND having it paid for? How about a party for you and nine of your friends? In this? And in the location of your choice?

outside%20shot%203.jpg

This is all thanks to the lovely people at Denny, who recently launched a website at http://www.homeis.ie.

Basically, they're asking people to tell them what their idea of home is. You can find them on video, on their wall, on Facebook, via twitter, by text 51444 (ROI) or 81515 (NI) - loads of ways to interact and win great prizes.

Even better, €1 or 85p will be donated to the Simon Community for every upload received!

In addition Denny is making a donation of €10,000 on behalf of every person who shares their story with the nation in Denny's new TV adverts, which will be filmed by award-winning filmmaker Paddy Breatnach Call. If you're interested in this opportunity call 1850 887 000 today to invite Denny round!

The Boards.ie competition:

612%20NO%20REPRO%20FEE%20DENNY%20HOUSE.jpg
    (You'll have to excuse the photos. They're all we got)

So, for one lucky Boards.ie member, you will get the use of the Denny Home on Wheels (it's on the way around the country at the moment) for one evening to come to your home or the location of your choice and have a party evening there.

And whether it's a special event like a big birthday, somewhere to watch the big game with the lads, a PJ party, or even a romantic candlelit dinner for a proposal - it's up to you - Denny will provide venue, snacks and relevant entertainment, whether its beer, beauticians or magicians, to make sure you have a GREAT party!

To win, just post below on what home means to you and what sort of party you'd arrange in the Home on Wheels, which is, they promise me, much bigger inside than it looks. It fits 10 people, we're told.

You can check out the website or their facebook profile to get some ideas.

Let us know what you think!

Darragh

Terms and conditions:

No, Boards.ie isn't being paid to host this. Yes, moderators can enter. Winner will be chosen by Denny. Judges decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Closing date Thursday 22 October. Your party must be legal and Denny will want to know what you'll be doing with their home ;) No, the model is not supplied.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Home is... somewhere with lots and lots of dog hair :D

I really, REALLY miss my four best friends. They're at "home" (Kerry) and I'm stuck in Dublin and, thanks to jobs, husbands/boyfriends and schedules, we don't get to meet up very often anymore. We all haven't been in the same room with our other halves since September 13th 2008 and it's not looking likely that we will for some time.
    Unless one of us has a kick-ass excuse and the Denny Home on Wheels looks like it.

My idea of a good part is simple- all the girls with their misters, some decent wine and beer, some nice food on the BBQ outside the Home on Wheels, bit of music and loads of laughs.

The girls are up for a laugh but the boys are a bit quieter and take some prodding to get into prty spirit so something like a "pararazzi" at the door to take snaps for the night would be really cool. Once the night gets going and everyone's had a few beers, the photos will only get better and the prints will make a fantastic keepsake for all of us to remember a great night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

wow, what would be prefect for parking at the beach for a bbq.
    Home is a level of comfort, where you can unwind put the feet up and be free to be yourself,
    to dance around the kitchen in your socks and where you can invite people over with whom
    you can be yourself who will dance with you and play games and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Home is somewhere you can get away from it all or be at the centre of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tararararara

Home is the cold tap that is really the hot tap,home is the press that i vow to fix but never do,home is eastenders with tea and a raggedy auld dressing gown on a wet november evening.Home means always being welcome.Home means acceptance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

A home is something I hope to own someday...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Home is....not a building, it's the people and pets in it that make it a home.
    Home is....never to be taken for granted. I know this, my dad lost his and lived in a car for 18 months.
    Home is...the freedom to be stupid, clumsey me around those who love me.
    Home is...your childhood bedroom that you moved out of 5 years ago but your mam still keeps the bed-sheets fresh in case you ever need to return.

My party would be for myself and my boyfriend, his best mate who we hardly ever get to see, and a few more of our group who we don't get to see enough of.
    Then all we need are some cocktails, pizza, flashy lights and wicked tunes!! Oh and did I mention it would be a costume party?! I can't get enough of fancy-dress! Would love if we had a face-painter on hand too!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Home is the place that I feel I can relax, watch TV, and chill. It's where I can sleep in on the weekends, it's where my family is, it's where I feel safe. It's where walking around in a dressing gown at 6pm after having woken up an hour previously is not accepted :P but allowed. You can sometimes have a home away from home (college, work, etc), but you'll always feel "better" at your "real" home.

=-=

As for parties, usually a group of my friends will meet in someones house in the evening, and we'll listen to music, talk, play some games, until about 2am, or until most of us have disappeared to their beds. There'll always be music in the background, but not everyone would be listening to it. People will drink what they've brought, and then some. Usually we'll either order pizza in, or have the snack food on a table in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

I have always been a home bird but more so a mammy's girl. When it came to college time I did move down to Waterford from Kilkenny. Although my home place was only 30 mins away it was time to attempt to fly the coop.
    I think i spent more time driving up and down from home then i actually spent in the rented houses over my 4 yrs there.
    When I finished college i decided to move in with my boyfriend of 2 yrs who lived up in the Midlands. It was what i wanted to do it but it broke my heart to think i would now be callin somewhere else 'home'.
    At the same time my parents decided that they wanted to build a new home and sell the home place. We were all devastated as our parents were now wanting to sell our 'Home'. Sure we put up a bit of whinging for a couple of weeks but soon buttoned it and decided that our parents wanted this so now that we were grown up it was their choice.
    Anyway the new house was built (5 mins away from home place) The home place was sold and they moved into the new house.
    Approx 3 months after we moved everything in I realised that i did not miss the old house. And it made me kind of sad but the reason that i felt i did not miss anythin is because i had not lost anything. To me;
    Home is family.

In the new house mam is still running around like a blue bottle saying how she can never get the house to stay clean.
    Dad still sprawls out across the sofa and leaves his socks and shoes in the middle of the floor.
    My sister still loves to watch TV in the sitting room on her own while the rest of the family watch tv together in the kitchen.
    My nephew still runs in calls my mother 'granny' and then runs for his life (now still does it as a teenager.)
    The back yard of the new home still has some form the half fixed item of machinery which dad was attempting to fix, got annoyed with it, bounced a wrench off it over 5 days ago and its still in the same position.
    Dad still makes a Friday and Sunday morning grill and wakes us with the smoke alarm. Many's a morning you would meet him in the hall as he ran back up to the kitchen with the alarm under his arm tryin to shut it off being adamant that its too sensitive.
    The cat still sleeps in her bed in the kitchen and sneaks down to bedrooms when mam isnt looking - just like in the old house. All the time mam is shouting ' The cat isn't coming in ! ' And two mins later we catch her opening the door to let her in.
    And home is.....Always too hot cause mam is always cold and always has some form of heating on.

When i come to visit i am always happy to be there and as i drive off and see mam running from one window to the other waving good bye...I still find a tear on my cheek, just like when I used to leave the old house.

Home is......Family

The party in the Home on Wheels would have to be for me my parents and 2 sisters, my brother in law and nephew, my other half, his brother and auntie. Our families have never really had the opportunity to meet up properly so this would be perfect. We could take it on tour from the Midlands down to Kilkenny.
    Those are the most important people to me so we wouldnt need anything else....o except maybe some wine, 80's music & irish ballads. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Home is where i feel most at ease and peaceful

As for the party it would be me and some friends just relaxing and chatting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Home is where the heart is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

No matter where I travel, home is Ireland - where my family is, where we sit and eat together, laugh and fight together; just being together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wherever I lay my head is home.

a ginger only party apart from me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Home is a cardboard box and a wireless usb modem...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

Home is where denny makes it :D id like a nice get together for my close friends who are the best and deserve a nice treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Home is not where you live, it's where you feel most comfortable. :) Which is why my home is 156 miles away from where I live.

As for the party, well as the girlfriend of a BGRH Brother it would only be right to ensure that plenty of pork products are on hand as well as copious amounts of beer. And raspberry vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

where ever i lay my hat.....thats my home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Arezu T

H. O. M. E.

Having a good Heart.
    Opening the doors to family and friends.
    Mother and fathers are what new borns or each individual should look up to.
    Everybody should have a place they can call Home because there's no place like Home.
    The Party I'd have in the Home on wheels is A romantic Candlelit dinner for a Proposal because I'm living with my boyfriend in Our Home so I know that this would be a wonderful oppurtunity to share Our Proposal infront of Denny and family + friends would be amazing. I love being Romantic and it will be lovely to share it on the Home of wheels!!! xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Home is knowing.

It's knowing that there's a 'knack' into getting the tv remote to work.

It's knowing where the spare key is kept.

It's knowing exactly where to step on the stairs so that you don't wake the house up after a night on the town.

It's knowing that when you do come in late at night that the cat will want to go outside... and come straight back in again.

It's knowing that no matter where you go, you'll never get a better fry up than the one your mother makes on Sunday morning.

Most importantly, it's knowing that home will always be there; when you need nothing more than the comforts of the place where the happiest memories were made and the people closest to your heart are always waiting with open arms to welcome you; home again.

The essential ingredients for the perfect party are:
    • Good company
    • Good food
    • Good Music
    • Booze!

And I'd be interested to see if we could fit a small band in there, though a good dj would be equally as good. A comedian would be good craic too.

Location is all important. Somewhere close to home and the pub would be ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Home is me and my friend living in a place that we look forward to coming home to in the evening.
    It's steaming cups of tea and rasher sandwiches in front of the television.
    It's friends over on a Saturday night and a fry-up and the papers on a Sunday morning.
    It's finally feeling like grown ups and enjoying life.

Home isn't our address.
    Home isn't our rent.
    Home is just us together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mconigol wrote: »

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 honeybean

Scien wrote: »
    I dug out an old letter from my first year in College that i think encapsulates what home is for me.

Sept. 2002,
    Dublin,
    Ireland

Mother,

I hope you are keeping well, I tried to write sooner but I was having trouble with this new 'Email' device they have in College. I may have to get a new biro as it will not work on the screen.

My first month has been quite eventful.
    We finally got a Television in the House so rest assured I'm keeping up with the weekly happenings in 'Glenroe', but I must admit that I do so with a sense of melancholic sentiment, as the soft contours on Mileys Face only serve to remind me of the weary meandering roads around Timoleague.
    My mind wanders home & I think of the simple things like old John Burke sitting on the wall at Noonans Cross, shouting at Cars and waving sticks.

Oh, how I long to walk into McGintys on a friday night, to see Patricia Cronin and give her an awkward wave-come-headscratch, when I realize she is waving at her friend behind me.
    The girls in Dublin are ever so peculiar Mother, the vast majority of them have some form of ailment which leaves them looking a patchy Orange colour, like the colour of the carrots you are growing in the top haggart. I will try not to let that deter me from finding a girl who might accompany me to a Cheili.

I'm also not fond of the music here, most of the Pubs play loud obtrusive American music. Bands like 'Snoop Loggy Log' and 'Dr. Dray', whose credentials i'm sceptical about by the way. He certainly does not sound like a certified Doctor and i'll be sure not to visit him if my Hayfever returns.

My housemates are lovely people. There's Catriona from Belgooley, a nice Cork girl with many friends that like to stay over during the week. She seems very popular and i'm getting to know many new friends through her, they are mostly all Lads that play Hurling and Handball.

There's Johnny from Tuam, he plays guitar and always seems tired. He is a great singer but he's in desperate need of a haircut. He looks like Julia Roberts in that Film Pretty Woman.
    There's also an odd smell from his Room, it reminds me of that musty smell from Maureen Buckley that used to deliver us Eggs years ago.

Then there's Geordan from Ballyboden, a reserved young Man that likes Rubgy & Sailing. He likes to make fun of my accent but it's all good natured, he sounds like Uncle James in Shropshire and also dresses like him too; cardigans, scarves and silly shoes. His friend, Uachtar Reoite Finnegan-O'Grady has similar characteristics.

I haven't much more news Mother only that I am looking forward to coming home at Christmas. Yesterday i thought i smelt one of your famous Frys so i turned down the Radio to check, i'm still unsure why i did that, but alas, it was just the smell from Johnnys Room.

Tell Dad I send my regards and of course, regards to my dear siblings; Maire, Donal, Dermot, Sean, Maura, Aileen, Tomas, Gobnait, Sinead, Mairead, Padraig, Mikey, Seamus & little Eoin.

All the best,

Declan.

P.S Tell Geraldine Forde I received the walkman in the post and that it is in fact “All the rage in Dublin”

Hmm, my ideal Party:
    • Good Food
    • Good Music
    • Good Beer
    • & most importantly, good Company!
    :)
    that's one of the funniest posts I've ever seen on this site - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Home means coming in closing the door, kicking off your shoes putting
    your feet up after a hard day, sitting back having and your family tell you
    about their day.

I'd love to have a fancy dress party in time for Halloween,
    turn Dennys House in to a mad Spookhouse!
    Pumkins, dry ice coming out the door and thumpin tunes!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Home is the most amazing feeling of being able to turn around to your mother and say "well, while you are under my roof, you will do as i say" :D

its also the place where you can walk around naked without any disapproving stares :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Home is... a four letter word that would give you a score of '9' in Scrabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

<snip> I hit the button before being finished. Please delete mods :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Home is where the heart is - on the bus.

musicians when they spend time on the bus touring, they make it their home. Its where you end up spend most of your time re accumulating your thoughts. your safe haven.

I'd arrange a video party, all 9 members, 9 video cameras, then setup a you tube channel/website and donate more to Simon Community if site gets popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Home is the people you share it with. There are 10 of us in my family, which in these times is pretty rare. My family life growing up was pretty hectic as you can imagine and being the youngest I wasn't short of a few digs. We had great times when we were all growing up. Our imaginations ran rampant and with plenty of neighbours and loads of space (living in the countryside) we were never short on huge amounts of fun. These days though we're all grown up and, although we might have our small fights my family are still always delighted to see each other. I know that when I go home my parents/siblings will be waiting there with a smile on their faces. It's a testament to my parents who worked so hard to make our home so peaceful, successful and most of all happy. So yes, a home is down to the people you share it with but also has a foundation on a lot of bloody hard work.

For the party I'd get together the 8 kids and my parents for a nice meal and a few drinks. Nothing too crazy just a nice family gathering. Although it might be on wheels but if the ten of us got together it would still feel like home for us.

Advertisement