Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recession wines

Options
  • 12-10-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I love a nice bottle of red. I can't afford to be buying expensive wines and had been buying special offer wines and cheap own brands.

I've tasted some amount of really horrible wines, some that I wouldn't even use for cooking. Even had one bottle which, after getting it home, simply said "table wine" on the back, no country of origin, no grape, just table wine. I could feel a hangover as I was drinking it. Absolute muck.

Recently started buying in Aldi. Bushlands reserve, (only 6.50 a bottle) is my new wine of choice.

Do we have any wine buffs to tell us uneducated wine drinkers what to look out for and what to avoid when buying any wine, but particularly cheaper wines.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try La Celia Malbec Reserve for €10 in Dunnes until the end of the month.
    Very good value imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Cloned Alien

Try superquinns own brand, cotes de rhone for €7. Its out of this world i buy it in the case load plus the 5% discount helps for buying 6 bottles plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm partial to a bottle of this, nice drop at the price

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Wallys hut in centra for 7 quid. Not bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Cono Sur is selling as low as €8.50 in some offies and supermarkets. Its Chilean and is a well made, decent, everyday drinking wine. I especially like their Cab Sauv, its just pure fruit on the pallet. Not clouded by oak like some of the Bordeaux wines.

Also check out inexpensive Languedoc and Vin de Pays wines, some of the southern French shiraz can be beautiful, and are usually under a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep, Cono Sur Pinot Noir is probably Irelands best value red wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Mad Bay Shiraz (€11.99, Tesco) is brilliant. Don't expect fireworks at less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If someone you know is up in Northern Ireland, ask them to drop into Sainsburys and pick up some Beyerskloof Pinotage - £5 a bottle!

rediguana wrote: »
    Mad Bay Shiraz (€11.99, Tesco) is brilliant. Don't expect fireworks at less than a tenner.
    Yep, I'm thinking thats an okay wine. I think its actually Madfish wine rebranded for supermarket sale as Mad bay. This is what you do when you have an oversupply. Rebrand and dump. Same winery, Howard Park which is Great Southern region, Denmark WA. Great winery.At €11.99 it's a very good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Oddbins do a "Quinta des Bons Ventos 2008" for 8.99 a cracking Portugeuse red for that price .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 corkage

A really good recession proof wine is "Musica en el camino" it's a red rioja from a very good producer called Martin Codax. I buy it directly from Approach Trade in Carrick on Suir. It's 8 euro plus vat a bottle.If you visit www.approachwines.com they will deliver to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

wal-verd-06-detail.jpg
    Wallys Hut Verdelho, €6.99 in Centra

bouteilles-chardonnay.png
    J.P. Chenet Chardonnay Vin De Pays D'oc, €12 for 2 bottles in Tesco

Two nice wines for well under a tenner, I'm a white wine drinker mostly so haven't any red recommendations.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

I bought a bottle of 'The Big Kahuna' in Tesco cos it was only €7 something and had a cool label with a surfboard. It's pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

M&S have some good cheap stuff, look for their 'gold label' wines - a nice Merlot and a good sauvignon blanc. They usually cost 9.99 (certainly wouldn't pay any more than that) but they regularly do discounts when its worth stocking up. They are on offer at the moment - think its 25% off or more if you buy 6+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dtrocks_6

totally agree with this thread.sometimes i think wine could be about finding the cheapest wine, and aquiring a taste for it, ha ha. But tesco used to do a chilean merlot which i adored for 4.50. It seems to be unavailable in the last six months though. This site seems to be okay,but only sell in bulk, www.cases.ie worth a look. Aparantly there's a legal case being brought to E.U. court which would restrict our thieving government from adding its colossal excise duty on products bought in the E.U. the E.U. being a single market,and all. bad for local business,ruined by greedy government. verdict due 23rd Nov

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dtrocks_6 wrote: »
    there's a legal case being brought to E.U. court which would restrict our thieving government from adding its colossal excise duty on products bought in the E.U. the E.U. being a single market,and all. bad for local business,ruined by greedy government. verdict due 23rd Nov
    Are you referring to this? 'Cos you might want to check which 23rd November.

Post verdict report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Tesco do some nice reds. I recommend their chianti classico, ripasso (don't go near the regular valpolicella though, it's muck) and rioja reserva.

BeerNut wrote: »

Post verdict report.

No. We get a monthly magazine about cars delivered monthly, and it stated in last months copy that excise duty was infact illegal under e.e.c. laws,to tax within an economic boundary set out by the E.E.C.
    It would have a huge impact on the motor trade,hence its appearance in a car magazine, but would effect all imports including continental wines.

It would have a huge impact on the motor trade
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but excise duty is not payable on cars: just booze, smokes and fuel.
    2. What are excisable products?

Alcohol and alcoholic beverages (e.g. wine, beer, cider, spirits) Tobacco and tobacco products (including cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos) Mineral oils (in practice, motor and heating fuels, including additives)
    Link.

Revenue Excise Section.

Have you any references on the particular case you're referring to?

Well its called VRT on cars, but regardless of what its called,its still an "illegal" tax

• Advertisement

its still an "illegal" tax
    But not an illegal tax.

Do you have any actual information on this case? Who's bringing it, for instance?

But not an illegal tax.

quote]

it is illegal under E.E.C. constitution. I'll try and dig up the extract

[QUOTE

Have you any references on the particular case you're referring to?[/QUOTE]

I think the one he's refering to was a case two or three years ago in the European court. A Dutch wine club had pooled money and were using it to ship wine ex France for their own collective consumption. It was ruled illegal in the first instance, challenged in the euro court and ruled illegal. So we cant get on to Tescos in France and order our wine for home delivery.

it is illegal under E.E.C. constitution.
    The one that doesn't exist? Riiiiight. If you mean they're challenging it on the EU principle of free movement of goods and services, that's been tried and failed. But good luck to them.
    I think the one he's refering to was a case two or three years ago in the European court.
    I referenced that one above, and dtrocks said it's not, and that this particular case is to do with cars and VRT rather than wine and excise duty :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Shin Bet

WOW from cheap wine to home heating oil in only two pages :rolleyes:

meanwhile back on topic
    try tautavel in dunnes for 799 till the end of the month
    thier la celia is back up to i think 14 quid but they still have a nice chilean santa ana for 6 99

I referenced that one above, and dtrocks said it's not, and that this particular case is to do with cars and VRT rather than wine and excise duty :confused:
    Sorry , yes see it now. Same case. And yes lets stay on topic. Have to say. Santa Rita 120 are nice for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

I'm a converted tesco wine drinker - they have a large and very decent range of red and white wines in two main brackets - fiver and ten euro. there's a wide variety of grapes and countries to choose from, and i've found a few very good wines in there, defo worth checking out and if ur bothered by labels u wouldnt really know on a lot of them that they're tesco till u check the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Picked up Lindemans 'Cawarra' Shiraz Cabernet yesterday in Fine Wines offie in Blackpool for E6.99. Really well made wine and an easy drinking style at a bargain price. Think they had the Sem Chard on offer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

Post verdict report.

Here's more on it, a case from 2006:
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/Consumer_News/Court_rules_against_online_wine_shoppers.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement