Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DR - Server 2003 Std SP2 Restore AD to different hardware

Options
  • 12-10-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,

What I'm trying to accomplish might be the best way to start this.

I have to do a DR test. I'm given 2 days to rebuild AD, Fileserver and SQL from scratch from Dell/IBM hardware to HP Server DL380 Server.

What I started out doing was building a windows 2003 Server with SP2 and trying to do a system state restore over it using different hardware. This Fails. I tried putting server 2003 and AD named the same but it still fails because of the hardware.

I've tried to use a tool named ADix to export the AD database and restore it again. I'm yet to get this to work.

I need a 3rd option. If I build a 2003 server as a test box and join it to our domain and do a DCpromo on it and then take it to the DR site How do I make it the PDC. How do I restore the RID,PDC and Infrastructure databases?

If someone has an Article with a step by step guide how to do this can you please send me the link.

Other than these options I'm open to suggestions.

But I have limited hardware so virtual envoirnments arent going to work as far as I can see.

Thanks

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

For the record, I don't think that this is 3rd way is a smart way to create a disaster recovery server for anything other than a short time during an upgrade. Especially repeatedly on an ongoing basis.

Not as simple as DCPROMO and disconnect.

You've to...

set up DNS on DR server to point to the old DC.
    Sync to domain time.
    Install DNS server,
    DCPROMO ,
    then set up the new domain controller as a global catalog server using "Active Directory Sites
    and Services."

Restart the DR server. Make sure that everything replicated successfully by looking for the message in the event log.

Point the DNS of the DR Server's NIC to its own DNS server.
    Disconnect DR server from the network.
    On the DR server
    use NTDSutil to seize Roles from the unconnected PDC Server.
    Seize pdc
    Seize domain naming master
    Seize infrastructure master
    Seize RID master
    Seize schema master
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

Then use ntdsutil's metadata cleanup and adsiutil to remove records from the DR server and company PDC.

NOTE the DR server must be wiped before you connect it again to the company network. Otherwise 2 DCs, one with obsolete records can make a mess of your network.

If you're willing to pay, they sell decent walkthrough documents at sbsmigration.com. Cheaper than spending days creating your own.

Advertisement