Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integration Time from moving to France to Chatting/Working with Locals

Options
  • 12-10-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

This will sound vague but if someone who did honours french moved to France and totally focused on getting to a level of working and speaking with locals how long would that take....anyone got personal experiences

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

dario28 wrote: »
    This will sound vague but if someone who did honours french moved to France and totally focused on getting to a level of working and speaking with locals how long would that take....anyone got personal experiences

Well I cant say personally as I have never lived in France, but a family member has and she reckons the it takes 2-3 years to be absolutely fluent in the language. Im sure u coulod chat with the locals before that tho, once your French was understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Talking from personal experience but for a French learning English:

-3 to 6 months to get to understand radio and movies without major problems, and be able to buy your baguette without linguistic drama.

-After that, it all depends on your own involvment and hard work. If you're out there practicing, questioning, learning and discovering constantly, there is no reason why you wouldn't be fluent after 8 to 12 months. That means, not sharing/living with English speakers at all. That would really slow down all your progress.

-3 years if you are looking for a university level.

-I have now lived abroad for 12 years, including the States and Ireland, and even though I have a fluent level, I still learn few words here and there...

It's true that you never stop learning!

Advertisement