Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing motion sensor lighting

Options
  • 12-10-2009 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys,
    really hope someone can help me. I live in a small apartment block, We have a garage area with 18 flurescent lights which are on 24hrs a day, 7 days a week & then a separate court yard upstairs where the apartments are. There's 11 energy saver lights here that work off a photocell - so when it gets to a certain level of darkness these lights come on & stay on till the next morning. Needless to say the ESB bills for both the garage & court yard areas are insansly high & we're looking to reduce the bill by installing motion sensors in both the garage & court yard area.
    Now, my question is - does anyone know (even ball park figure) how much it would cost to have up to 8 motion sensors installed before I go getting quotes as it would be good to have some kind of figure in my head.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i wouldn't look at pirs to reduce the energy bill here.the lighting control sounds ok ,garage 24/7and photocell for courtyard.
    regulations prob specify (constant)minimum levels of illuminance for these areas for safety and security.you may be able to look at the type of fittings installed for improved efficiency etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭10-10-20

First, do the maths and work out whether the lights you intend in changing are actually the drain on power you think they are.
    I'd hate to find that they weren't and that there were other drains involved, or even some illegal 'borrowing' of power... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

hey all,

i got a pir motion sensor switch for an existing outside light at my parents house. thought a simple break in the live and run it through the sensor switch and back to the live light contact would do the trick...

i can hear the solenoids clicking in the sensor when i hit the power, both on and off but no power is going back to the light itself.

any ideas on whats causing this not to work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I presume you are giving the sensor a neutral as well???
    Have you tried manually shorting the lives to ensure the lamp is working ok.?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

hey koolkid,

i got it sorted eventually after blowing up the first one, doh.
    fixed live in from switch, double neutral from switch and back out to light and a switch wire to original live on the light.

just as well the only cost 20 euro.

cheers anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement