Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

straw bale house

Options
  • 12-10-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all, just doing bit of research on building a straw bale house. I'd love to talk to someone who has built one in Ireland, I would like to know how realistic it is in our clmate -anyone out there ? Cheers me dears x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 odonata

yeah theres one in wexford alight - I havnt hit the field yet hve been doing reserch online -Amazon nails are a company that design and build them for you. I adore everything about straw bales but have read conflicting view sand experiences on damp/rot and infestation. I ws heading to he green gathering in England last summer and was hoping to get loads of info - but then the whole thing was cancelled at the last minuite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Sorry deleted my post there while editing doh!

Have you seen this http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=42820 ?

There really is lots of info online. There is also a goup that teaches in Cork.

Kinsale Further Education College
    2-year full-time Practical Sustainability Course includes Permaculture, Woodland Management, Organic Production, Ecology, Natural Building, Community Leadership and Group Facilitation; home of Kinsale 2021: An Energy Descent Action Plan; corwood amphitheatre, strawbale house, forest gardens and much more
    Address: Bandon Road, Kinsale, Co. Cork
    Phone: 0214772275
    Email: kinsalefurthered@eircom.net

but I'm sure there are more

Cheers me dears
    where would 'e be from me'ansom?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

A reqular poster on here lives in one, he's "quentingargan". You might drop him a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭who what when

Took a visit to the one in wexford half way through construction and the place was absolutly crawling with rats!Now i know this was well before the people moved in but you have to wonder how many extra tenants they may have down the line! Have to say that alone would really put me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

We built a strawbale house seven years ago. Happily no rats, but I would have reservations about building using straw as your structure, for reasons I set out on our website (where you can also see a picture of the house). I would prefer to see a timber frame clad in straw rather than straw on its own.

We love the house, warm, dry and works well. Everyone warns of fire and rodents, but in fact the one thing that rodents love is a cavity. We don't have one. Provided all the rendering is thorough, especially where there are pipes etc., and provided the foundation is sound, there is no reason why rats should be able to get into the straw any more than they would get into a cavity wall.

However, since we built, there are many other building methods that have come onto the market with renewed demand for better U values.

We built a strawbale house seven years ago. Happily no rats, but I would have reservations about building using straw as your structure, for reasons I set out on our website (where you can also see a picture of the house). I would prefer to see a timber frame clad in straw rather than straw on its own.

We love the house, warm, dry and works well. Everyone warns of fire and rodents, but in fact the one thing that rodents love is a cavity. We don't have one. Provided all the rendering is thorough, especially where there are pipes etc., and provided the foundation is sound, there is no reason why rats should be able to get into the straw any more than they would get into a cavity wall.

However, since we built, there are many other building methods that have come onto the market with renewed demand for better U values.

I keep designing straw bale houses in my head and always come back to the idea of a timber frame with straw bales as insulation.

Just dug out my copy of "Building with Straw Bales" - Barbra Jones and as expected that also dispells the Rats and Fire risk. Recommened book.

ttm wrote: »
    I keep designing straw bale houses in my head and always come back to the idea of a timber frame with straw bales as insulation.

Just dug out my copy of "Building with Straw Bales" - Barbra Jones and as expected that also dispells the Rats and Fire risk. Recommened book.

The bible we used in our build was Serious Straw Bale Building. They recommend timber frame. I know that this gets poor reviews on Amazon, but this is perhaps reflecting a philosophical spat between those who use bales as the structure (so called Nabrasca style) and those who use timber frames.

Nabrasca style is great in Nabrasca - dry weather and so forth. I'm on the side of the framers. Q

The bible we used in our build was Serious Straw Bale Building. They recommend timber frame. I know that this gets poor reviews on Amazon, but this is perhaps reflecting a philosophical spat between those who use bales as the structure (so called Nabrasca style) and those who use timber frames.

Nabrasca style is great in Nabrasca - dry weather and so forth. I'm on the side of the framers. Q

That might be a polite way of putting it, and a reason I'd be far more interested in the expereince and of views of a pratical person over a philosophical one any day.

I should have also said that I'd recommed Barbra Jones book on the basis of a it being an easy practical read to explain the basics and get you thinking but not something I'd ever call a "Bible".

TTM - thanks for info - have the Barbra Jones book unfortunatly I dont think ill be building it myself - God decided to make me a woman and although Im fairly handy I know my limits -I was planing on hiring team and helping out where I could. I dont see it happening for another two years but Ive decided to get the ball rolling and gather as much advice and info as possible.

• Advertisement

quentingargan- I agree have already decideded on timber frame - I just dont buy loadbarings durability all on its own, I instinctivly feel it needs a little hand. Also thanks for confirming the rodent situation - I had read about the lack of cavity also its hay rats seek out but theory is one thing and real life another just wanted to get it first hand. I was wondering would it be better to avoid damp /rot by build one story house - my theory being less exposed or unpotected wall space, providng good overhang from roof - or is wooden cladding the ony way to go ?

odonata wrote: »
    I was wondering would it be better to avoid damp /rot by build one story house - my theory being less exposed or unpotected wall space, providng good overhang from roof - or is wooden cladding the ony way to go ?

Yes, we went for a bungalow for that reason, but the roof still only protects half of the wall. The best rain here is horizontal.

Wooden cladding presents other problems (back to our cavity discussion and rodent damage). It also presents more of a fire risk if there was any outside combustion. In that case, you would have a risk because you have timber, cavity, straw. Cromwell would have loved it.

I will be checking our moisture levels soon and will post on our website when I do that.

Q

odonata wrote: »
    TTM - thanks for info - have the Barbra Jones book unfortunatly I dont think ill be building it myself - God decided to make me a woman and although Im fairly handy I know my limits -I was planing on hiring team and helping out where I could. I dont see it happening for another two years but Ive decided to get the ball rolling and gather as much advice and info as possible.

PM me or get in touch when you are getting nearer the 2 years (itch) and I'll see if I can lend a hand.

Advertisement