Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Delorentos Album- You Can Make Sound.

Options
  • 11-10-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

After a year of ups and downs, Delorentos have finally got their act together an released their second album.

It was released on Friday, and I picked it up before an instore of their's in HMV Grafton Street.

ycms_cover_sm.jpg

I'm a big fan of their stuff anyway, but I'm absolutely loving the new songs.
    For the first time, the bassist, Níal, sings a song on his own (He's actually got an amazing voice!) and the drummer, Ross, sings one for the first time also- SECRET, the first single.

Really great album imo. A lot darker and more mature than the last one, without losing that nice Delos-edge which I love.

Has anyone else picked it up yet?
    If so, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

havent got it yet but played in the shop today and sounded pretty good

Secret's a whopper, nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Yeah bought it the day of the release. Bin waiting it for a long time!
    Thought their debut was very impressive. A lot better than most of the up and down Irish bands.

After giving it a good few listens my impression, track by track is -

Sanctuary - Strong opening. Kinda where ILWD in left of but with a slightly darker more mature sound. Say it'll be great live. Can't wait for whelans!

Secret - Listened to it since it was released a single good few weeks ago. Think its the best song on the album and best thing they've done yet. I was sceptical at first with the unconventional role of spelling in the chorus but really catchy yet considerably different to a lot of music out there.

Hallucinations - Different Delo's sound.. Darker. Keeps the strong start album going. Drum and bass are great in this track. In my opinion the best instrumental backing on the album.

You say you'll never love her - Not my favourite song lyrically or musically. Not a bad song. Just a bit simple. Still a cathcy chorus and not a bad song.

Leave me Alone - Another typical Delo's song. Could be taken from the first album. Good song though. Some of the lyrics are clever and ending is fairly epic.

Editorial - Really like this song. Another song that'll be great live. Even though there's nothing groundbreaking in any of their songs the band always seems to sound original and fresh and I think the same can be said of this song.

Body Cold - Heard this one a good bit back when it was played on radio. Liked it then. Might be shaded by some of the better songs on the album though. Although just re-listening to it there it's still as catchy as most Delo songs.

Let the Lights go Out - Slow burner. Bassist sings on it. At the start I thought it could be a really good experiment. And it never really delves into familiar territory. In trying something slightly differeny they haven't done badly.

Sould Mate - Heavy bassline and distorted guitar give this a great sound. A long with oooh ooh oooh's. :D After a few listens I really like this one. Up there with my favourite 3 on the album.

You can make Sound - First song I heard from the album aaaages ago. Was catchy at the time and still is. Good lyrics. Title tracks always have a bit of pressure to live up to and think this one does well. Typical Delo guitar riffs and vocals. Solid song.

I remember - Last song on an album can make or break it. I want to be able to listen to it all the way through! And on this one it's the case. Like the closing track. Slow song with backing piano and acoustic guitar. Lovely chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Awesome song, isn't it?

(I'm actually int hat video, bustin' my moves... :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dgalactico

Love this album!! Favs are probably Leave me alone, sanctuary, editorial and obviously secret as well!!! Love delo's i do!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

ADORED their last album.can not wait to get my hands on this :)

anyone out at the gig today? was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

What time were they on at? Readers Wives were playin when I was there

Cudnt tell ye, was pretty busy. Guessin around 5. Readers Wives went pretty well, kev got the sound goin good.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

I'm interviewing them for Wired FM on friday.

Anyone have any questions they want answered by the band?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

I'm interviewing them for Wired FM on friday.

Anyone have any questions they want answered by the band?
    Oh, oh I've got one:
    You guys are the darlings of the Irish 'indy' press, your shows sell out, there's a hugely complementary thread on boards.ie about your album. Things are going good, no? So then, is there any chance of an original song any time soon from you artless stylised hacks?

Hi, we're delorentards and you're listening to Wired FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

fikay wrote: »
    Oh, oh I've got one:

You guys are the darlings of the Irish 'indy' press, your shows sell out, there's a hugely complementary thread on boards.ie about your album. Things are going good, no? So then, is there any chance of an original song any time soon from you artless stylised hacks?

Hi, we're delorentards and you're listening to Wired FM

fikay, its not often i laugh out loud at a post but by God yours made me laugh. :D:D
    They couldn't be more boring and beige.
    Average band + average songs = popular in ireland. doesn't say much for irish taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Rubbish band. Wont be going anywhere near this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

I will really never understand why people bother reading and replying to a thread about a band they hate...

Got album other day, its pretty good, love about 6 songs but the rest I'm not too sure about. They seem to be growing on me though. Apart from You Can Make Sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

In fairness to them they do actually have two great songs ("Leave It On" and "Basis of Everything") which is two more than most bands manage in their lifetime. Haven't lived up to those though.

Incredible incredible incredible in Whelans.
    Any of the people that are posting ridiculous comments; I challenge you to find a better live band in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Hmmmm, not sure Id agree with your comments.
    "Best" anything, let alone live band is a very subjective term.
    That said their album came straight into the charts at number two this week which is a fantastic achievement for an independent band.
    Sútalún wrote: »
    Any of the people that are posting ridiculous comments; I challenge you to find a better live band in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I genuinely think they're an amazing band live too- I've seen them a good few times over the last few years and whether they're playing to 10 people or 1000 the energy and performance is brilliant.

Was delighted the album did so well in the charts, if a little surprised.
    The more I listen to it the more I like it, so well deserved I think.
    Níal's song- "Let the Light Go Out" is hauntingly beautiful and "Sanctuary" is such a great tune. So many listens to it and I'm not even bored of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

SherryD wrote: »
    I will really never understand why people bother reading and replying to a thread about a band they hate...
    Its actually called having an opinion. The Thread is called 'Lets all give them praise' Its an open to discussions and opinions, and in my opinion they are rubbish.

Accepted....

Republic Of Loose, Fight Like Apes, The Answer, More Tiny Giants.
    Thats 4.

Accepted....

Thats 4. IN YOUR OPINION

Granted only seen two of those. FLA and Republic of Loose but would definitly rate Delo's above them. Haven't heard the other two live. Ah well, I accept you're opinion but I hate blatant "This band are sh!t".. I mean, fair enough no one likes all bands. But I'd never say "So and So" are sh!t. Music is all about opinion and I accept and respect other people's opinion and taste in music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wouldn't go mad about them but they seem to be a cut above bands like The Coronas and that.

They have some catchy pop tunes and seem to a hard-working band so I say fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

Its actually called having an opinion. The Thread is called 'Lets all give them praise' Its an open to discussions and opinions, and in my opinion they are rubbish.

Accepted....

Thats 4.

You're right its not called 'Lets all give them praise' its called 'The New Delorentos Album....' and I would imagine its very hard to have an opinion on an album you've never heard and have no intention of listening to. I agree Delos are not to everyone's taste but just saying "They're ****" adds nothing to a discussion. There are many bands I hate but if i saw a thread discussing their new album I wouldn't be bothered reading it I have better things to do with my time.

In my opinion Fight Like Apes are the most over rated band in Ireland. They try too hard to be out there and gimmicky with their live performances; and frankly usually they're just ****. Delorentos are just a great live band and I personally have never seen another Irish band thats as tight or gets the crowd going like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

It's a good album, pretty decent shot at that " difficult 2nd album". But it's nothing great or groundbreaking. They're just a bit too "pop" for my liking. Although they do give it loads at their live shows and are very easy on the eye!!!

They couldn't hold a candle to The Immediate though... and they split. Says a lot for the Irish music scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Special...what a tune:D...btw any got the lyrics for it.no sign online

Soby wrote: »
    Special...what a tune:D...btw any got the lyrics for it.no sign online

Secret no..?

NYCityBabe wrote: »
    They couldn't hold a candle to The Immediate though

Now there's a band whose appeal has always baffled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Now there's a band whose appeal has always baffled me.

They were great. Conor O'Brien writes cracking tunes.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They were great. Conor O'Brien writes cracking tunes.

Wasn't impressed by them, not impressed by the Villagers either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Secret no..?

Sorry ye..why the hell do i keep saying special:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amyyy

S.E.C.R.E.T is epic (Y)

Advertisement