Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Controls Upgrade - Athenry

Options
  • 11-10-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

Im looking to get a heating control upgrade to an existing oil boiler , which is zoned by manual switch for Hot water , upstairs and downstairs. All on one timer. The house and boiler is about 8 years old.

Its very inefficient at the moment as we are heating the downstairs during the night as we want heat on on the morning downstairs and heat in the rooms upsatirs during the night.

I was thinking of a 7 day electronic timer and Thermostatic Radiator Valves on all rads.

Some questions to the people that know ,

I see there is a SEI grant to do the upgrade, Does anyone know of any good installers in the Galway region the SEI website returned too many and a lot of them look like general builders.

Also is there anything else i should look at.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RVR

Hi Corr75,

A good option for you would be to use wireless thermostats to control the zone valve(s) and boiler remotely without any wiring to be run long distances.

The SEI HES Scheme grants require this boiler interlock to make sure the boiler is turned off when no central or water heating is required.

If you already have the zone valves in then all you need to do is install the controllers. These would then check the time and temperature in each zone and activate the zone valve and boiler as needed.

The SEI grant for this is €500 - this would probably cover all your costs if you qualify.

Alternatively you can get a grant of €700 to replace your controls AND boiler, but this would be a lot more costly to do.

I'll PM you some names off the list that are plumbers and you best bet is to talk to them.

Cheers

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

RVR wrote: »
    A good option for you would be to use wireless thermostats to control the zone valve(s) and boiler remotely without any wiring to be run long distances.
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but one question for you Des. I already have 3 zones (ie. 1 switch for downstairs, 1 for upstairs and cylinder only when both switches off). However, I only have physical access to one of the valves. I know that at some stage I will need access to the other (I *think* the plumber buried it behind a stud wall!!), I don't want to go to that expense right now. Is it possible to install these stats - connected to the wiring that leads to the valve or will direct physical access be needed to the valves in order to install the thermostats?

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Is it possible to install these stats - connected to the wiring that leads to the valve or will direct physical access be needed to the valves in order to install the thermostats?

If you use a wireless stat that activates a relay in a receiver then you could install the receiver in-line with the power to the zone valve (assuming the installer can find and access the power cable!)

Not very elegant but it would work!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks Des. Appreciate it. Two final questions.

In a 4 bed semi, is the best place for location of an upstairs and downstairs stat the hall & landing?

Which wireless stats would you recommend and are there any that should be avoided like the plague?

Thanks Des. Appreciate it. Two final questions.

In a 4 bed semi, is the best place for location of an upstairs and downstairs stat the hall & landing?

It's a matter of personal preference, I have them in my kitchen (dining area) and master bedroom...
    Which wireless stats would you recommend and are there any that should be avoided like the plague?

Well there's a conflict of interest there as I work for a company in this line of business. So just make sure everything stacks up and the supplier seems reputable!!!

Hope this helps.

Des

• Advertisement
Advertisement