Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Satellite dishes in cork????

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know where i could buy a satellite dish in cork? in shops or by private sale? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Maplains in Backpool do fortec star dishes. What do you want to pickup? I live down the road so I may be able to assist in size requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

tomslick wrote: »
    Maplains in Backpool do fortec star dishes. What do you want to pickup? I live down the road so I may be able to assist in size requirement.

well i want the freeview and foreign channels too for football and stuff? i was told between 1.1 and 1.4 metre. would this big big enough? also u wouldnt happen to know what the prices are like down there?

I have a 90cm dish and motor both Fortec Star which I bought in a bundle(including LNB,STB,cable and beeper) for around E160 in Maplain. I am able to pickup perfectly 42,39,28,23,19,16,13,9,7,5 east & 1,5,8 west. The dish&motor are 3 years old and are working as good as the day I installed them.
    Yes 1m+ is better but your getting into a lot more expense for I think no real gain. The available football and stuff FREE is very very limited in english. Subscriptions for most of these are more reasonable than Sky IRL with Supersport for 12months around E300.

These sats are more than enough for your football and stuff requirements. It takes me about 45mins to go flicking through the whole lot. Imagine Sky and multiply by 12.

Oh right thanks for your help im gonna call out to malpins this weekend and have a look around. You know anyone who can put them up hopefully on the cheap side?

twig wrote: »
    Oh right thanks for your help im gonna call out to malpins this weekend and have a look around. You know anyone who can put them up hopefully on the cheap side?
    Sorry can't help you with that one. My motorised dih was a DIY job and It took an age to do( It is quite difficult ). If your going down the Freeview and 1 other sat on the same dish, you'll put that up yourself in about 2 hours. There is plenty of help available here.

• Advertisement

oh ok. doubt ill do it myself tho but if it costs too much to hire someone ill have to. so what i need? just a satellite, motor, receiver, LNB,STB,cable? anything else? patch cables?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

scaller wrote: »

i just emailed them a minute ago but thanks anyway. They supposed to be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

They supposed to be good?

Rippy who runs this is a top satellite guy

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

You know what the prices would be?

• Advertisement

Surely you can ask him that yourself or click on his website given a few posts ago.

You know what the prices would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

To be fair, I emailed him sunday night, and got a written quotation back on Monday morning at 8am. Going to go with him, his work ethic so far seems fantastic.

To be fair, I emailed him sunday night, and got a written quotation back on Monday morning at 8am. Going to go with him, his work ethic so far seems fantastic.

As of yet i have not got any reply from him. What was your quotation for if u dont mind me asking?

As of yet i have not got any reply from him.

This is surprising, maybe a PM to "Rippy" might get a response

Tony wrote: »
    This is surprising, maybe a PM to "Rippy" might get a response

i just sent a pm to him there thanks for help. i went to a place on tramore road today dont know what it is called but he was saying that a motorised dish would cost alot to get install? he didnt mention figures tho not yet expecting a call off them tonight or tomorrow. anyone know how much roughly iit should cost?

No problem. From my own experience mototised installs typicially take about 3 times as long as a standard install and not many guys seem to do it so it can be pretty expensive. Would you consider the DIY route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

i just sent a pm to him there thanks for help. i went to a place on tramore road today dont know what it is called but he was saying that a motorised dish would cost alot to get install? he didnt mention figures tho not yet expecting a call off them tonight or tomorrow. anyone know how much roughly iit should cost?

Are you getting a motorised dish from there or have you got one already? I am also looking at getting setup with foreign satellite.

No problem. From my own experience mototised installs typicially take about 3 times as long as a standard install and not many guys seem to do it so it can be pretty expensive. Would you consider the DIY route?

Tony i wouldnt be able to to be honest. They said they do it but im afraid of price haha. they have not called yet prob tomorrow

Barr wrote: »
    Are you getting a motorised dish from there or have you got one already? I am also looking at getting setup with foreign satellite.

nope barr i dont have my dish or motor yet. They said 80 for big dish which im prob gonna buy but im gonna get the motor of ebay cause they said 80 aswell but on [URL="(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technomate-TM-2600-Super-DiSEqC-Motor_W0QQitemZ290357257081QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes?hash=item439aa42379&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_679wt_939)"]ebay[/URL] there around 50 euros so it only makes sense. Id say call in to them if u get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Installing a motorised dish is a great fun project if you are anyway DIY inclined

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    Installing a motorised dish is a great fun project if you are anyway DIY inclined

I am a small bit but im afraid ii would break somethhing

Ian from Signal Solutions is landing on Friday morning to do my install for me. I've got Sky+ at the moment, and need to get Cyfra for herself, but I don't want 2 dishes, so the setup I'm getting is :

78cm Triax dish
    Multi LNB bracket
    Quad LNB for Sky+
    Single LNB for Cyfra
    Bracket for the dish
    Diseq switch
    Technomate 5400 ci USB decoder

So I'll end up with one dish, 2 decoder boxes, and everything running sweetly. Seems like a very knowledgeable guy, and even when I questioned some of the setup, he was patient and explained everything's purpose - most installers would just get iffy, insulted and put you on the back burner. So far, a big thumps up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

im not from that area so cant help you out im afraid..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Ian from Signal Solutions is landing on Friday morning to do my install for me. I've got Sky+ at the moment, and need to get Cyfra for herself, but I don't want 2 dishes, so the setup I'm getting is :

78cm Triax dish
    Multi LNB bracket
    Quad LNB for Sky+
    Single LNB for Cyfra
    Bracket for the dish
    Diseq switch
    Technomate 5400 ci USB decoder

So I'll end up with one dish, 2 decoder boxes, and everything running sweetly. Seems like a very knowledgeable guy, and even when I questioned some of the setup, he was patient and explained everything's purpose - most installers would just get iffy, insulted and put you on the back burner. So far, a big thumps up!

Im looking to get setup at the moment as well , just curious why you got the Technimate receiver ?. Theres so many options out there Im abit confused what to go for .

It's what Ian recommended for use with what I wanted, it has USB too so it can act as a PVR and record programmes setup on the EPG.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Technomate are very popular receivers and very reliable and stable.

You'll not go wrong with the TM5400!

Surprised you didn't opt for an LNB on Astra 1 too, for a bit of extra channel choice? Mind you, not hard to add one in future, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

byte wrote: »
    Technomate are very popular receivers and very reliable and stable.

You'll not go wrong with the TM5400!

Surprised you didn't opt for an LNB on Astra 1 too, for a bit of extra channel choice? Mind you, not hard to add one in future, I suppose.

If he provides decent coffee and biscuits i might throw one in !:D

Rippy wrote: »
    If he provides decent coffee and biscuits i might throw one in !:D

Christ, coffee and biscuits it is!

Business must be goodRippy if you can afford a helicopter:)

Ian from Signal Solutions is landing on Friday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Business must be goodRippy if you can afford a helicopter:)

Hadn't seen this before speaking to you on the phone. Now I know what you were on about ! :D

Advertisement