Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house bought wireing !!!! cat 5 probelm

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Ok i bought a new house partly finished ,
    The way it is at the min is there are 2 cat 5 cable to all the wall switches ,
    this is is wired back to the fuse box ,
    this is for the lights controls and celing spekers in the rooms i think ??
    there is a camera system & hdmi cable phone cable ect all wiered to the one area off the house
    i had a electrication out looking at it but he does not used this system
    he was saying i need a dimmer pack installed in the fuse box ,to control the lights.

Has anyone any system like this installed in there house ??
    he was saying to finshed the job prob be between 3000-5000 euro !!!
    has any one any idea off what system to install ?
    or do they know off anyone who install these

donegal area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If the lights switches are wired in cat-5 then an I-light system or similar was probably what was in mind when it was done that way so yes the sparks is right a dimmer pack would be needed or else re wire it the traditional way.

Check out http://www.ilight.ie/

The cameras would usually be wired to one point,this is where the recording device would be installed.With everything else going back to this point aswell then a fair amount of home automation was obviously in mind at the planning stage.

Is the original sparks not available to finish the install?

He would be the best man to finish it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 for all of the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 skinny6781

he could be i am going to call the builder 2mro to see if i can get the sparkie that did the work so far , the house has being laying for 15 months and this was something i did not put in my price for finishing the house ,
    there is allways something that pops up tho in a new house ...

have u any idea what kind price it would be for control pannels for sound and lights and the dimmer pannel ???
    i have priced the spekers and there coming in about 40-50 euro a go ,
    which i thought was not to bad ,

Dimmer panels are not cheap afaik and its essential to get compatible transformers for the lights themselves or you will have difficulties when the dimmer is working.It will work but will have noise issues if the transformers are not compatible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most transformers are dimable. But Superg is correct it is important to check for this. Your sparks will be aware of this

• Advertisement

Most are dimmable but I was thinking more along the lines of trailing edge traffos being used with leading edge dimmers and vice versa in terms of inductance and capacitance.

Something my boss discovered to his cost recently:)

I would not worry about this, I never had an issue with this. If you are concerned derate the transformer by only loading it to a maximum of 80% of it's recommended capacitiy.

It is more important to ensure that the transformers are dimmable and the VA rating of the transformers does not exceed that of the dimmer modules.

I wouldn't worry myself but if you have a particularly picky client when it comes to ever so slightly noisy lights it can become a real issue to payment:)

Advertisement