Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name expiry

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭

Hi - we are looking at trying to register a domain name that is due to expire in 4 days time.

Is it just a matter of trying to register it with our own hosting company (blacknight) in 4 days time? I heard that there is a grace period that must pass aswell - is that true?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Normally the owner has about 30 days grace I think after the expiry date but that may not be standard. Theres a facility on Godaddy where you can request them to order the domain for you if it lapses-might be worth doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭jmcc

arctictree wrote: »
    Hi - we are looking at trying to register a domain name that is due to expire in 4 days time.

Is it just a matter of trying to register it with our own hosting company (blacknight) in 4 days time? I heard that there is a grace period that must pass aswell - is that true?

Thanks!
    It can take up to 45 days or more for the domain to become available. And if it is a popular term or the old site has backlinks then it is probably going to be caught by a dropcatcher and your chances of getting it when it drops are low.

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

jmcc wrote: »
    It can take up to 45 days or more for the domain to become available. And if it is a popular term or the old site has backlinks then it is probably going to be caught by a dropcatcher and your chances of getting it when it drops are low.

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Regards...jmcc

You used to visit #morgue on irc.iol.ie sometimes didn't you? Many, many years back.

Vixen and Grommet and all those. :D

Advertisement