Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Tattoo

Options
  • 11-10-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys tattooless noob here :-),

I was thinking about this for a long time and I would like to get a picture of a 90s video game boss on my back or calf.

http://www.videogamesprites.net/SecretofMana/Bosses/

The two last ones on this site. So here is my question: You see the last one on the page? The Mana Beast? I want it just the way it is on that page, all pixeled. I have seen pixel tattoos before so I know its possible, I just wonder how big you think it must be so that the artist can make it look like on that pic.
    If its not possible to get it in a size that wont strecht over my whole back, I will go for the Dark Lich which doesnt have to be pixeled as it has some nice stars and crescents under his shirt^^

Btw, I will ask some tattoo artists about this but I will only have time next week to do so and this question is killing me :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

tbh, if you want the pixelated look, i think it would look much better smaller than made to stretch over your whole back!

because of the pixels, if you spread them too wide i think it might look a bit untidy, it would probably look better a bit smaller, not too small mind, but not the size of your whole back!

the dark lich one would work much better if you want it that big

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Yeh I have to agree, The bigger it gets, the further away people are gona have to be away from you to get whats going on on your back. It would just look odd I guess.

Defiantly go ask someone in the photography forum to see if they could recreate the image bigger and give it a less pixelated effect but keeping it pixelated, if you get me :) to give you a better idea of what it would look like. 10 mins in photoshop and it`ll give you a great idea.

Someone will definatly give you a more expert opinion over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DhalsimHibiki

Thanks for the feedback :-) I actually meant, that I dont want it big. My concern was, that its hard (if not impossible) to get the pixel look on a small tattoo. I will try my luck in the other forum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

TBH I don't see the photography forum being any help to you. They focus on photography, not on photoshopping images.

I'd just enlarge the image, print it off the size that you want it, and bring it along to a tattoo artist who you think would be good at the tattoo.

I just at Snakebite's and asked a blond guy if its possible. He said that its absolutely impossible and that everybody who tells me differently simply lies. To get all the detail into the dragon but still keep the pixels, it had to be bigger than my back.

Made an appointment for the Dark Lich though for the end of the month :-D, will post a picture as soon as its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I dont see why its not possible to get the tattoo that you want the way you want it. The larger the tat the more detail to as long as you get something reasonably sized, say 3 inches by 4 inches, it should enable the tattooist to get the appropriate amount of detail in. Though I'm not a tattoo artist gradiating the colours towards the black edges should give the desired effect.
    Here's come pixel tattoos:
    http://thechive.com/2009/06/pixel-tattoos-14-photos/

most of the pictures with the square pixels are actually 8-bit, thus, have far less pixels and detail. My actual wish for this tattoo was to have it exactly like on the link, not just something that almost looks like it.
    My two options now were to have either of those in a realistic way and I like the Lich better than the purple dragen^^

most of the pictures with the square pixels are actually 8-bit, thus, have far less pixels and detail. My actual wish for this tattoo was to have it exactly like on the link, not just something that almost looks like it.
    My two options now were to have either of those in a realistic way and I like the Lich better than the purple dragen^^

I still say its do-able with the right artist. Nick Baxter has used pixelization in some of his tattoo work. To be fair, he's one of the top tattoo artists around but here's one he's done:
    nick28-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

a mate of my boyfriend got a pixel tattoo not too long ago, i'll find out where and post again...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Diceicle wrote: »
    I still say its do-able with the right artist. Nick Baxter has used pixelization in some of his tattoo work. To be fair, he's one of the top tattoo artists around but here's one he's done:
    nick28-2.jpg

That's a really nice tattoo, but still the pixillated area has less detail/pixels than the tattoo the OP was looking for, which would have to be huge to accomodate such detail.

• Advertisement

That's a really nice tattoo, but still the pixillated area has less detail/pixels than the tattoo the OP was looking for, which would have to be huge to accomodate such detail.

You're proabably right about the size issue but the picture itself I still think is replicable in tattoo form, the Nick Baxter tat above merely demonstrates the use of different tones needed to get a nice even gradient for the pixel effect, but at the end of the day it would be a near backpiece, well not quite but at a guess you'd probably want approx 3mm per pixel dimensionally speaking.

In the end, the big question is: What size does the smalles possible square have that a tattoo artist can possibly make. One sting with the needle should be a dot so how many dots do you need for a small square?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

tfak85 wrote: »
    a mate of my boyfriend got a pixel tattoo not too long ago, i'll find out where and post again...

he got it done in wildcat jervis.. can't remember who did it though..
    it's of a mario mushroom, old skool, it's really cool actually.

Advertisement