Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Feedback - www.whatyadoin.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

twitter rip off?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Hi Tim M-U,

I think you will find it hard to get users to sign up to the site as people interested in this type of micro blogging service will already be using Twitter, I just don't see the room in the market for what you are offering. It's basically Twitter with less features and less users.

On the design aspect, I can't really say much as the design is basically the same as the script you are using demo site http://demo.floopo.com/ with the logo only changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Deaddude wrote: »
    twitter rip off?

This script was not striped from twitters site, the reason for this website is so users can show their friends what there upto via text and images. The images function is not offered by twitter!

Its just a different site that offers micro-blogging, so for example, users may not like to use twitter (for any reason) so those users may like to use whatyadoin.com instead.

Im considering changing the style...

thanks so much for your feedback!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If people arent going to use twitter the main reason would be they have no interest in it or micro blogging..so therefore I dont see how they would consider using your site instead?

On the design aspect your logo in the top left looks pixelated.

As someone else said apart from a logo there is no other design involved, its the same as the demo script so there isnt much else to give an opinion on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Site isn't loading right now.

But as the above have said, Twitter owns this market. It would take something better to beat it.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is enough of a unique selling point to make the site stand out. Twitter manages the extras you are pimping with bolt-ons like twitpics that work fairly well. The design seems a little lacklustre too. Sorry.

As a matter of interest, have you given thought to scalability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Good luck with the project. You should check out tumblr, it's a photoblog tool that could be some competition for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

- Very slow for me
    - Typos on the support page
    - Logo on the support page isn't a link
    - Username/password boxed look to low, out of alignment with the other controls/text there
    - don't like the fact that clicking help brings me to another link which tells me to click it to get help
    - typos in disclaimer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Its too much of a twitter rip off imo. You need a new angle other than just the images idea.

On the other hand , other sites have been set up with success despite copying ideas. Look at myspace, facebook, bebo. They all started out as the same concept, but at least they took on a different sort of angle.

This site just looks like a slightly cheaper version of twitter.

Maybe the images concept will be enough but then again your up against the likes of 4chan which is a completely image based board.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!.

MOH: why do you hate me?
    Logo on the support page isn't a link
    I do not plan to have this a link
    Typos on the support page
    There is no typos in our support site

• Advertisement

On the whatyadoin.com there are some nasty comments from the user: owesome . This account has been deleted as it has violated the terms of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tim M-U wrote: »
    If you are asking for people's opinions at least have the decency to listen to and appreciate what advice and feedback you are given.
    Creating An Account

1. Go to www.whatyadoin.com/join
    2. Put the correct information in the correct boxs

If that's the attitude you are going to have then I ain't bothered giving you my two cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd normally try to avoid being part of the spelling / typo police, but in this context it's actually relevant.

The correct phrase would be "There are no typos".

Not being clever; just pointing out how easy it is to have a typo without realising it.

First glance reveals these:
    • "SIGNUP TODAY" should be "SIGN UP TODAY"
    • "It's (apostrophe) quick and (again) it's free"
    • What does "Stream, texts, images videos" mean ? Should it be "Stream texts, images & videos" ?
    • I personally detest stuff like "up2date", but even allowing for that it should be "up 2 date"
    • Why is the support site 2 clicks away ? If you click "Help", surely you want support ?
    • "Signin" should be "Sign in"
    • The above comment re the mis-spelt "boxes" is correct.
    • "Go to the web address shown on the email we sent you" should be "Go to the web address shown on the email we send you" - at time of reading, they haven't signed up yet.
    • NEVER, EVER underline text on a web-page unless it's a link!!!! The "Terms of Service" has these all over the place!
    • Bullet points are incorrectly used on the TOS page, making the list items wrap really weirdly and difficult to read
    • Again, on the Privacy Policy page, there is underlined text

The above (particulary typos and odd phrasing) might apply to other pages; I didn't read all the text.

And for the record, the above is help/advice - not because I hate anyone! ;)

I appologise if you thought I was being disrespectful.. I do respect all feedback and I take it into account. Thank you everyone for the feedback and again, I appologise..

Thanks everyone..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

on the same issue you misspellings in your disclaimer, extra spaces in some words, some of your rules are incomplete.

Are you registered with the Data Protection commissioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for the feedback everyone!.

MOH: why do you hate me?

I do not plan to have this a link

WTF? I take the time to go through your site, give you feedback on what I feel are issues with it, and you accuse me of hating you? You're going to need a bit of a thicker skin if you ask people to review your sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

I know clean & simple are what most people look for but this is more along the lines of plain & boring to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Zodiacc

Advertisement