Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can gay men be indie?

Options
  • 10-10-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

Just a quick question : I'm curios to know if gay people mostly comply to standard definitions of homosexuality, that is the whole camp thing or can gay men be accepted as alternative in a indie way?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is no such thing as the standard definition of homosexuality, there are sterotypes but there is a lot more to people who are gay then those.

I think the effeminate sterotype of gay men is accepted and perpetuated as it is seen as acceptable for a gay man to be girlie and 'lesser' then a 'real' hetrosexual man.

I know men who are bikers and heavey metal fans who happen to be gay.
    Being gay is about who you are attracted to and fall in love with not about who you are,
    what your taste in music/clothes/books/hobbies are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No most don't and plenty are as "indie" as any hetrosexual guy. The reason people often think otherwise is that they make basic, and erroneous, assumptions: Camp guy = gay, Non-camp guy = Couldn't be gay.

If you're going strictly by music standards, you should check out Q & A - it's got an erratic schedule, but plays to a primarily gay indie crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

hello932 wrote: »
    Hi

Just a quick question : I'm curios to know if gay people mostly comply to standard definitions of homosexuality, that is the whole camp thing or can gay men be accepted as alternative in a indie way?

No gay people are banned from indie lifestyle. If you don't like Kylie and you dont work as a hairdresser then you are not gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The truth is we're all clones of the Alpha gay. How else do you explain the existence of gays generation after generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can straight men or women be indie.... consider that and there's your answer. Gay people have wide varying interests only some of them intersect with a gay lifestyle.

Frankly I can't believe you're asking this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Reflector wrote: »
    No gay people are banned from indie lifestyle. If you don't like Kylie and you dont work as a hairdresser then you are not gay.

Dam it. Does this mean I'm a heterosexual? Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I'll simplify this. The question is:

Can gay men be X?

The answer, in every case, is:

Yes, for all values of X other than "heterosexual" and "female".

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I'll simplify this. The question is:

Can gay men be X?

The answer, in every case, is:

Yes, for all values of X other than "heterosexual" and "female".
    What about "can gay men be flood-proof vinyl upholstery"?

These kinds of questions are reasonably common and to an extent understandable if misguided. The gay community exists as a demographic for important social and often political or supportive reasons. Due to the visibility and perceived solidarity of the demographic there is a tendency to generalise or use shorthand in describing the community. However, it's not a club to which you need to conform the way you behave, the way you dress, the car you drive or the company you keep. The gay community is, in a word, plural. You contribute and take what you need from it, there's no contract involved.

While these kinds of questions can be irritating to people for whom they seem silly, they're real (if imagined) concerns for people that aren't out or are on their way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arion24

Can't gay men be whatever they want to be?
    Or are people just so repressed into the idea that labels are a necessity of life.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ixoy wrote: »
    No most don't and plenty are as "indie" as any hetrosexual guy. The reason people often think otherwise is that they make basic, and erroneous, assumptions: Camp guy = gay, Non-camp guy = Couldn't be gay.

If you're going strictly by music standards, you should check out Q & A - it's got an erratic schedule, but plays to a primarily gay indie crowd.

do you know when Q and A is on again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boredboard

OP, curious to know who 'Indie gay guys' might be 'accepted' by??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

boredboard wrote: »
    OP, curious to know who 'Indie gay guys' might be 'accepted' by??

Well i was just wondering if the gay community in Dublin is accepting of gay indie types i guess.

To be honest I find myself totally disillusioned by the scene here in Dublin. Everyone here is such a god dam phoney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The 'gay community' is not synonymous with the 'scene'.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

hello932 wrote: »
    Hi

There i was thinking most indie men were gay:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Aard wrote: »
    The 'gay community' is not synonymous with the 'scene'.

I agree totally. Look elsewhere for friendships/relationships. Maybe don't look at all. Either way you will prolly accrue gay friends with similar interests to your own as you go along. We exist happily and in significant numbers outside of the scene :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

I think you should avoid thinking this way, just be yourself.
    For me personally I cannot stand the stereotype that is given and the people who give into it (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

If you want to dress in a Fedora hat and leather jacket then by all means do so. Halloween is a particularly good time to explore your Indy fetish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Fetish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

ixoy wrote: »

Speaking of which, I've just posted details of the next one, Friday 20th Nov, Andrews Lane Theatre...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62844534

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

well..........if you're gonna label people as alternative or indie.......then gay would always trump that in label making :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement