Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Food Waste Bins

Options
  • 10-10-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Recently I acquired I small brown bin to put all my food waste, including waste meats and veg.

I have to say, at the start I was all up for it, but that has changed.

Just opening the bin on a hot day you will know what I mean... the smell and the flies and unbearable.

Thought of a solution to this in case anyone is interested. Imagine having some king of conveyor system from you kitchen out to the bin through the wall! Daft as it may seem and not worth the effort for what its actually worth, it is a repetitive chore that we could actually do without.

Anyone care to comment?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

How often do you empty the small kitchen bin into your actual compost bin outside? More frequent emptying may be the solution.

Also, there are other products available in Ireland that might be of interest:

http://www.bokashi.com.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newklear

taconnol wrote: »
    How often do you empty the small kitchen bin into your actual compost bin outside? More frequent emptying may be the solution.

Also, there are other products available in Ireland that might be of interest:

http://www.bokashi.com.au/

I think you misunderstood. I am referring to a brown bin which the local "Big Ben Clean Ireland" waste collection company have provided. A bin man comes and collects the stuff in the brown bin.

Its to reduce the amount going into the landfill. With this new bin, the only thing going to landfill now is non-recyclable material e.g. cling film, tin foil, etc

Basically, anything food (that includes meat, chicken bones, cheese, everything) can go into this bin.

I am going to probably have another bin soon for veg waste seperate, but don't you admit, its such a pain in the arse having to divide all these waste types up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

newklear wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood. I am referring to a brown bin which the local "Big Ben Clean Ireland" waste collection company have provided. A bin man comes and collects the stuff in the brown bin.

Its to reduce the amount going into the landfill. With this new bin, the only thing going to landfill now is non-recyclable material e.g. cling film, tin foil, etc
    I know what a brown bin is but I'm not familiar with with each individual waste company's arrangements. From what I understood, the brown bins provided are the same size as standard black bins. When you used the word "small", I thought you had bought your own kitchen-sized bin that was regularly emptied into an outside composter.

BTW - cling film and tin foil are recyclable if they are clean.
    newklear wrote: »
    I am going to probably have another bin soon for veg waste seperate, but don't you admit, its such a pain in the arse having to divide all these waste types up?
    I think if you ever visit a land fill you'll see that it's worth it. It seems like your set-up is not ideal and so you're finding it a hassle - understandable. How often is your brown bin collected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newklear

I know what a brown bin is but I'm not familiar with with each individual waste company's arrangements. From what I understood, the brown bins provided are the same size as standard black bins. When you used the word "small", I thought you had bought your own kitchen-sized bin that was regularly emptied into an outside composter.

Well, we get a small "bathroom" sized brown plastic bin for the kitchen. When this gets full, you take it out to the bigger brown bin which is about 2 foot high and 1ft&1/2 wide. Its not a wheelie bin.
    BTW - cling film and tin foil are recyclable if they are clean.

Really? I suppose the only material left for landfill then is styrofoam then? You don't come across this enough for it to be an issue, so a landfill bin is virtually useless these days.
    I think if you ever visit a land fill you'll see that it's worth it. It seems like your set-up is not ideal and so you're finding it a hassle - understandable. How often is your brown bin collected?

True. It is hassle, because like I said its a really disgusting task emptying the kitchen waste into the outside yoke. I share my house next to the landlord and use his bigger brown bin and don't know how often the collection is.

Advertisement