Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More distrubing news about Cro Cop post UFC 103

Options
  • 10-10-2009 12:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%2002997.html

I know it is MMAbay but it has been confirmed as true elsewhere
    Cro Cop admits to wanting to hang himself in his room after UFC 103

Once feared knockout artist, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic has admitted to being in such a disturbed state following his September loss to Junior dos Santos at UFC 103 that he felt like hanging himself in his hotel room.

Speaking to Croatian news site, Nokaut.com this week, Cro Cop said:

“I was very, very disturbed after the loss to Dos Santos. I was in such a state that I wished to hang myself in my hotel room so I would be gone. Three losses in my last seven fights is nothing but a disaster to me. That’s a terrible score and I’m not happy about it.”

“I already know some things that I did wrong both in the fight and in the preparation for the fight, but there are many questions that remain to be answered. I am seriously thinking about hiring a psychiatrist to help me out. I have already made some calls about it.”

“If someone offered me millions of dollars to quit my career right now I would not accept it. [Fighting] is my life and I don’t know any other way to live. I will make some changes in my training, because I wish to fight twice more in the UFC. I am a fighter, and I will find the motivation and strength I need.”

At least he is seeking help here. Kind of sad that someone who is kind of a renaissance man and has a number of career paths open to him post his MMA career thought this way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He should change camps. coutures or somewhere like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Wasn't there a similar story about Arlovski playing Russian roulette after his last defeat? This is quite a serious problem in my opinion anyway. It is a pretty cut throat business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think his camp disbanded after his last fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

chordtype wrote: »
    Wasn't there a similar story about Arlovski playing Russian roulette after his last defeat?

I think that was years ago. It came out after the fight, but nothing to do witht he fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dancor wrote: »
    I think that was years ago. It came out after the fight, but nothing to do witht he fight.
    Nope was only a few months ago.Says he played it once at 16 and again at 30.

http://www.fighters.com/08/05/andrei-arlovski-confesses-suicide-games-after-losses-to-fedor-emelianenko-brett-rogers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

on a similar note (mentally unstable fighters) http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2009/10/junie_browning_takes_pills_fig.html

I did read this story a few days ago which went more along the lines of the suicide path, rather than the arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Dats terrible. Actually like Cro Cop a lot despite two pretty poor performances in UFC. Still a legend so he should keep his head up.

Defo agree with points bout new camp like Xtreme Couture. I think Randy and Shaun Tompkins could not only help with his skills but also instill a new confidence in him which would be a big performance booster. The Randy Couture factor.... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Agreed. Somewhere where they can really push him.

I'm sad to hear that he contemplated suicide. I knew he was completely burned out but I didn't think it was to that degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

The very least the UFC can do in my opinion is to step in and get him some help,he quite obsiously needs it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

fatal wrote: »
    The very least the UFC can do in my opinion is to step in and get him some help,he quite obsiously needs it

They probably already have. Remember after Rampage's breakdown they were right beside him. On a different note they have apparently refused to help Junie Browning this time cos of all the hassle he has given them before... I imagine a legend like Cro Cop will be supported tho, especially since he says he wants 3 more fights in UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

It's been widely accepted on other fora that this line from Mirko's post fight interview is a case of lost in translation.

Apparently it's a Croatian expression, literally translated, sounds worse than it was intended. Mirko has a lot to live for. Competing may not be one of those things anymore (I hope) but suffice to say I wouldn't have Mirko on suicide watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Maynard wrote: »
    It's been widely accepted on other fora that this line from Mirko's post fight interview is a case of lost in translation.

Apparently it's a Croatian expression, literally translated, sounds worse than it was intended. Mirko has a lot to live for. Competing may not be one of those things anymore (I hope) but suffice to say I wouldn't have Mirko on suicide watch.

what something like english(language) expression of "hanging your head in shame" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Get to a good wrestling camp and drop to 205

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Get to a good wrestling camp and drop to 205

Wrestling is not his problem, he has great takedown defense and his main problem is he's gone gun shy and only looks for the big left which is just too predictable and fighters are countering it, he needs to let his hands go to open up chances for his big kick, he has the hands but has forgot that for some reason!

I believe his heart is not in it and he should probably call it a day if the hunger is not there-only he knows that though.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

yeah , he looks like a shadow of the fighter he was a few years back. Terrible to hear he took the loss that bad though

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Devastator wrote: »
    what something like english(language) expression of "hanging your head in shame" ?

Exactly yeah.

It really is a statement just clarifying that he is taking these defeats really badly, but that he feels (unwisely IMHO) that he needs to persevere through it to succeed and regain his honour.

In the lead up to his UFC fights I got used to seeing many literal translations coming from Croation to English. Stuff about "tripping over wires" and all sorts of metaphorical language that has no real socio-linguistic currency in English.

Advertisement