Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia RS Facelift (2010)

Options
  • 10-10-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Had made up my mind to get a Mazda6 or Honda Accord in Jan 2010 but I think I changed my mind having seen the RS FL Octavia. Skoda have done a pretty good job again with this car. The price for the 2L Diesel is the same as for the current (old) model so roughly 30.000. I went into a major dealer with my 2003 Corolla (in very good shape) and was offered an excellent deal for it toward the new Octavia. Have not ordered anything yet as I would ldike to know more about Skoda in Ireland (i.e how good are their service dpt's etc). I have checked for the extras and got a quote
    - €400 for just the rear parking sensors
    - Curtain airbags are €565.
    - Full VRs Leather €667

Also, he was able to confirm that:
    Bluetooth is now standard on all VRs
    Maxi-dot display is standard on the VRS.
    Auto dimming rear view mirror / rain sensor wipers / auto lights are all standard on the VRS

I think it's excessive to charge 400 Eu in recessionary times for parking sensors when they can be bought for 120 Euro.

Has anyone in Ireland ordered a 2010 Octavia RS FL and what do your dealers tell you in relation to above standards/extras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sounds like a decent deal, but i highly doubt Skoda Ltd factored / cared about recessionary times into charging €400 for parking sensors

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Sounds like a decent deal, but i highly doubt Skoda Ltd factored / cared about recessionary times into charging €400 for parking sensors
    Agree.

The guy was confident there would be an industry wide price drop. He said something about Volvo offering 6000 off one of their models. Apparently in the next two week VW is going to announce a price drop (source is another VW dealer) as their sales are badly hit.
    Anyway, the Skoda dealer was saying that even if they have a price drop, the price of second hand cars would go down too so I would not end up with a much better deal than he gave me. On the other hand, if someone is buying without a trade-in, they could save a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you feel there is a price drop coming, then hold off because this drop is not going to affect the price of your corolla by a huge amount so there would be savings for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd agree, I'd wait. A 03 Corolla is not going to drop by the same amount compared to the price drop on a new vRS. In fact in the mean time I would try and sell the Corolla private cheap to avail of the extra straight cash discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You gave me something to think about for my 2010 car as well. I had discounted the Skoda but the RS looks.........................SAVAGE(rare for me to use that word).

You mention the Leather Interior. From what I am reading on the Skoda website the car has a leather interior.

See page 16 item number 7.

http://www.skoda.ie/IRL/Documents/New_Octavia/OctaviaENG_0409.pdf

Or is this the old model because it looks the same as the 2010 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

vRS has half leather interior as standard afaik. €667 would be very cheap to upgrade from full cloth to full leather to be honest.

Not sure about the facelifted model however but generally the vRS here has better standard spec here than in the UK.

I was checking out the spec on the UK model and it does not have Xenon, adaptive headlights or leather interior whereas the Irish model does.

UK Version Spec

Page 11

http://www.skoda.co.uk/pdf/brochure_octavia.pdf

A very good price for a very good car on the Irish side of things.

Berty wrote: »
    I was checking out the spec on the UK model and it does not have Xenon, adaptive headlights or leather interior whereas the Irish model does.

UK Version Spec

Page 11

http://www.skoda.co.uk/pdf/brochure_octavia.pdf

A very good price for a very good car on the Irish side of things.

Based on what I was told and seen on Briskoda, Skoda's in Eire are higher spec than the ones in the UK. The facelift Octavia RS has been available in the UK I think since July and the waiting list seems quite long.

Bertie
    You gave me something to think about for my 2010 car as well. I had discounted the Skoda but the RS looks.........................SAVAGE(rare for me to use that word).

Or is this the old model because it looks the same as the 2010 model.

I had not thought much about it either till I saw it for myself.

A few pics:
    2009-Skoda-Octavia-RS-19.jpg
    2009-Skoda-Octavia-RS-18.jpg

2009-Skoda-Octavia-RS-3.jpg

2009-skoda-octavia-rs-and-octavia-scout-facelift-5985_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

From the pics, looks like it gets the touch screen radio from the L&K model. Still needs the radio controls on the steering wheel IMO - worthwhile extra I'd say.

OP - Hold off for a couple of weeks. Audi just dropped their prices (A3 to Golf level) so VW are 95% likely to do the same (9% average across the Audi range). With Skoda now being imported by VWGI for Ireland, and VW's likely to come down to Skoda level then Skoda will have to drop.

Hopefully it's very soon as I've got a 1.6Tdi 105ps Ambiente due to land on the boat this weekend (for a customer) and don't want to get stung with paying a higher price. That model was quoted as €200 more than the 1.9Tdi (now discontinued) but group A road Tax. Fingers crossed we'll see close to 10% coming of the Octy.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »

I saw this one Berty. Half leather only. Need 600 Euro for full leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Do some reading up on Briskoda.
    I've the pre FL VRS, have to say I really like the small changes they've made to the car. If you are getting it make sure you get the full leather. I've got the half leather and the grey part (not sure what type of material it is) is impossible to keep clean.
    Not 100% certain, only 99% ;) but the Limited Edition (LE) model of the VRS comes standard with leather, there's not many LE's afaik.
    Edit: Here's the leather....love the red piping and green stitching (you can't really see the green in the photo)
    ZGB1Z3061650.jpg
    here's the LE
    skoda-octavia-vrs-limted-edition-uk_2.jpg
    Its £1,329.68 to get it put in on the official UK skoda accessories site, so €667 is a bargain :)

Also make sure the wing-mirrors are auto tinting too, not sure if its the same on the FL but I know on the pre some have rearview auto-tiniting only and some have both rearview and wing mirror auto tinting. The tinting wing-mirrors make a huge difference when night driving.

If I was getting it, it would be the combi, in silver, and it'd be lowered before it left the garage......the VRS is on stilts as standard, there's and OEM kit to lower it.
    Oh yeah get the petrol, not the tractor ;)

BTW, phoenix motors (Prussia St & JFK,bluebell) are excellent, best dealers I've dealt with, highly regarded by Irish members on briskoda.

I wanted to ask one more question. Someone in Brtiskoda asked if I would not consdier getting the ctavia RS Facelift from the UK.
    I checked autotrader.co.uk (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...3083&logcode=p, Example 2 )and a second hand Skoda Octavia RS FL 2009 can be bought for some 17-18 K pounds (this equals 18-19 K Euros). On the Irish revenue calculator, I entered as follows (copy-paste):
    MAKE: SKODA
    MODEL: OCTAVIA 2.0
    VERSION: TDI VRS 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 151
    MILEAGE: 6000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: OCTOBER 2009

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €26662
    RATE OF TAX: 20%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: (payable on enquiry date) €5332

My concern is that the web site calculator does not seem to have the most recent model listed. Could someone clarify if € 5332 VRT is the only expense one has to pay for bringing a car from UK to Ireland. Is there not a clause in UK regulations that cars not older than 6 months are subjected to some extra charge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

As far as I know when it comes to imports, a car (in the eyes of the Irish law) is still classed as new if it is either less than 6 months old or has covered less than 6k kms. In this case you have to pay Irish VAT but not UK VAT.

Correct me if im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

As far as I know when it comes to imports, a car (in the eyes of the Irish law) is still classed as new if it is either less than 6 months old or has covered less than 6k kms. In this case you have to pay Irish VAT but not UK VAT.

Correct me if im wrong

Thats sounds right alright, all the info is on the importing from the UK thread here. You would get the UK VAT back and pay Irish VAT rate instead.
    I see you have it in as having 6k miles already? And its Oct 09?

lafors wrote: »
    Thats sounds right alright, all the info is on the importing from the UK thread here. You would get the UK VAT back and pay Irish VAT rate instead.
    I see you have it in as having 6k miles already? And its Oct 09?

If I had decided to go the import route, would make sure the car is as new as possible and that it had 6000 miles.
    I suppose if you are right, roughly 18K for a 3-4 months old Octavia (with at least 6K miles), +5500 VRT+ 3800 VAT makes it to expensive to bring in this particular car from the UK so wiill have to stick with an Irish dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Correct me if im wrong

Lafors,
    If the car is less than six months old but has more than 6k on the clock do you have to pay Irish VAT? Similiarly if the car is more than six months old bit less than 6k on the clock do you have to pay Irish VAT? Apologies if this covered elsewhere :(.

Advertisement