Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding venue with cottages/houses

Options
  • 10-10-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Looking through wedding venues at the moment and looking for recommendations!

Basically what we want is to try and get people to come down and stay for a few days before the wedding. Staying in the hotel for more than a few nights would probably be a bit expensive for our guests, so we wanted to find a hotel with self catering houses or cottages on the grounds that people could rent for the week.

Has anyone any recommentations for this kind of venue in Ireland??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Faithlegge House in Waterford has self catering house available on the golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

what part or ireland are you looking for? robertstown co. kildare has a holiday village that you can rent small houses in. http://www.robertstownholidayvillage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 teddyr

Thanks for the replies so far,

Really don't mind the location. We are based in Dublin, but as people will probably go down for a few days, a few hours drive won't be too much of a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

Markree Castle in Sligo has self-catering accommodation :

http://homefarm.markreecastle.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nools79

Another option would be Ballymagarvey at Balrath in co meath, just off n2 between ashbourne and slane - website looks impressive, so they might be worth a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Mount Falcon in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Enii wrote: »
    Faithlegge House in Waterford has self catering house available on the golf course

That's where I was going to say - we got married there and the staff are great (defending me from my frantic mother and everything! ;) ) Food's really nice, the accommodation is too and there's a church right across the road if you want the shortest distance from service to reception possible. The grounds are beautiful too. If you do go there and need a photographer gimmie a shout and I'll give you the name of the local guy we got, he's great.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Another option is Kilcoran Lodge in Tipperary - they have self catering houses as well!! Its an old hunting lodge so might be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cameraman wrote: »
    Markree Castle in Sligo has self-catering accommodation :

http://homefarm.markreecastle.ie/
    Have you been to this place?

The place is in ribbons.

OP -Try Barnabrow House in Cork, bit of a spin but might be what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Have to agree that Faithlegg is an amazing location and the church there is as said above in that it is literally across the road.

I've done a couple of weddings there and can send you a link to a slideshow to one of the weddings for you to have a gander at, just DM with your email.

Mind you all the other locations are just as nice as each as their own special quality. I have done weddings at Mount Falcon & stayed at Markree Castle only a couple of weeks back so can provide a very unbiased opinion :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Farnham Estate in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MediaBride

Waterford Castle & they have fabulous new lodges !
    Can't rate it highly enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm amazed at the positive reports of Faithlegg House. I haven't been there for a wedding but myself and Mr. HS went there for my birthday one weekend in February and it was probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in in Ireland.

The house is lovely; the reading rooms is charming and the bar is quite nice. But the bedrooms were awful, old fashioned in a 1980's way and in need of renovation. I got a glass of wine from the bar and it was rancid, our dinner which was part of our weekend deal was gorgeous and after a horrible breakfast and rancid wine I was actually suprised by how good it was. The red wine we got for dinner was almost frozen it was so cold. Breakfast, was terrible, I think I had a yoghurt and a cup of grey tea; either there was nothing left or everything was cold and inedible. The service for breakfast was chaotic to say the least. Also, while it seems to be a lovely country house on your drive up to it there are absolutely no grounds to walk around. All the grounds belong to the golf club.

I'd never go back to the place and I'd never recommend it. It was a disappointing weekend and was only redeemed by the fantastic Waterford scenery. Funny how people can have different perceptions about a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My sister had her wedding in the Abbey Court Hotel in Nenagh, Tipperary. It's your standard Irish hotel. It's not a country house, spa or anything else and it doesn't try to be. However, they have 4 and 5 bed holiday homes on the grounds and it works out very reasonable. She got married in February and I think we all paid €50-60 each to stay there for 4 nights. I know she negotiated a good rate because of the time of year and because lots of people were travelling down for the wedding and staying a few nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gemasha

Have to agree that Faithlegg is an amazing location and the church there is as said above in that it is literally across the road.

I've done a couple of weddings there and can send you a link to a slideshow to one of the weddings for you to have a gander at, just DM with your email.

Mind you all the other locations are just as nice as each as their own special quality. I have done weddings at Mount Falcon & stayed at Markree Castle only a couple of weeks back so can provide a very unbiased opinion :D

I've had my heart set on Markree Castle for my wedding and going up to see it after new years. Just came across the above comment saying its in ribbons. Can you give me a little detail on what its like if you get time?? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

My cousin got married in the castle oaks hotel in Limerick this time last year. Was the best wedding Ive been to yet!! We made a few days out of it too, there are holiday apartments and houses which were extremely reasonable priced and the grounds were gorgeous as was the decor of the hotel. Was brilliant craic... Couldn't recommend it highly enough!!!
    Best of luck wherever you chose :)

Advertisement