Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant?? :S

Options
  • 09-10-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Is that a restaurant on the far side of the canteen? It has big wooden doors...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup, Scholars Restaurant, seems like teachers only never seen any students going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah it's definately only for lecturers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm pretty sure that it's open to anyone. Only the lecturers have the money too however ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's a teaching restaurant. I'm sure most people don't even realise the college does a culinary course. I've been inside it, really quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Zillah wrote: »
    It's a teaching restaurant. I'm sure most people don't even realise the college does a culinary course. I've been inside it, really quite nice.

How did you get in there?!

• Advertisement

How did you get in there?!

You'd be amazed what you can get away with when you're holding a camera.

Zillah wrote: »

Agreed, i've been in it aswell and thought it was very nice. Food was very fancy aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yeah its pretty nice i've been in it numerous times somethings the food just wasn't to my taste (quail and vension). Its the only place on campus to get a pint :p

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Its the only place on campus to get a pint :p

... So we do have a student bar!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yeah if we we're ever going to have a student bar thats where it would be, the prsident before tim creedon was very anti drink on campus apparently thats why we never had one. In case anyone doesnt know Tim Creedon retired during the summer. I personally think he did a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Yup, it's a restaurant used by the catering and hospitality students. They use it as their "lab" I suppose.

Not sure how it works in terms on eating there as a student, or whether the lecturers I used always see leaving are actually paying for the food.

Never went in during my six years in IT-Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Irishone1949

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Yup, it's a restaurant used by the catering and hospitality students. They use it as their "lab" I suppose.

Not sure how it works in terms on eating there as a student, or whether the lecturers I used always see leaving are actually paying for the food.

Never went in during my six years in IT-Tallaght.

Anyone can go to Scholars in IT Tallaght. Everyone has to pay, even those lecturers. You just book on the day or before. This term it is only open for lunch Monday Tues and Wed. Food can be really varied depending on which year of students are doing the cooking. It is not all quail and venison. Students can go, you can invite your friends to go with you. It is open to all and brilliant. The night time one is practically impossible to get into. It is Thursday night and they send an email to staff and you are allowed 1 night only.....but you can still bring students with you & family or friends if you fancy. It is a teaching/training restaurant. Well worth giving it a try though. About 5 courses for €20 & wine or beer is cheap..and the night they practice making cocktails is defo worth trying. ........not that I want anyone to go..then there might not be room for me. I do go every week & so do varied friends.....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Wow, I should try this place. Actually have a friend in hospitality, should probably ask what the story is with it! I know that any time a guest comes to the college their brought for lunch in there. Was in briefly to give something to someone in there - looked very fancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Irishone1949

Think my friend has booked to go today..to Scholars..I will let you know how it goes......they are often looking for bodies to go ya know. Also lots of those strange people you see going in could be examiners to check on the students. Also guests to the college of course.
    It is a chance to try strange things without going to massively expensive place. (which I couldn't afford anyway) Any special events they really try hard.......had pumpkin and ginger soup I think it was for Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭moonstreet

hi all, Im an past student of Tallaght, I did the Professional Cookery course, which is the Chef training course. As others have said, this is the Training Restaurant part of the Catering Department. It is used to give the catering students practical experience of a real life restaurant.

On a side note, the reason the majority of the campus dont know about the catering department is cos we do double the hours of most students. When I was there we did nearly 40 hours of classes, both practical and theory. Unlike most students, part of our course was attendance, which ment that we couldnt really bunk off classes when we wanted, as poor attendance could mean that we didnt pass the course. As a result , the catering students dont really have time to participate in all the other stuff that goes on in the college. Also many of the catering students work weekends in restaurants and hotels in Dublin, to gain expereince so that they have a better chance of getting a job when they leave college.

It took us over four months but we found one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

They finally unchained him/her from the kitchen!

Teferi wrote: »
    They finally unchained him/her from the kitchen!

I'm glad you weren't sexist! :p

I'm doing my dissertation on gender stereotyping in advertising and some of the stuff I've found is so ... sick I'm actually ready to kill somebody! :pac:

Has anyone ever eaten in this restaurant thingie?

I'm glad you weren't sexist! :p

I'm doing my dissertation on gender stereotyping in advertising and some of the stuff I've found is so ... sick I'm actually ready to kill somebody! :pac:

Has anyone ever eaten in this restaurant thingie?

Yeah, I ate in it once last year. One of our lecturers took us there for a meal at the end of a semester. Food was very fancy! Was a nice place, but food was a little bit too fancy for most of us :o

Bryn wrote: »
    Yeah, I ate in it once last year. One of our lecturers took us there for a meal at the end of a semester. Food was very fancy! Was a nice place, but food was a little bit too fancy for most of us :o

"Where are the feckin' chips?!" :pac:

That was sound of your lecturer though!

I'd like to check it out some time but I feel like if I walked in, someone would stop me and kick me out! :o

• Advertisement

yep Ive escaped the kitchen, :D the food in the restaurant is "fancy" cos thats what the chef students are being trained to cook, so that they can get jobs in high class / fine dining restaurants and hotels. Many of the students compete in national catering competitions while in college so the food that they cook in the college has to be a high standard.

I dont know about now, but when I was there the best way to book a meal in the restaurant would be to go in there when you see it open and ask the student / lecturer that you wish to make a booking. You most likely will have to book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

How do you book a lunch or dinner there and what are the opening times for during the week and weekends?
    Is their a phone number or what is the procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Crikey. I am getting a lil scared now of the 40+ hours thing. EEP. I am starting that course in september (deffered from last year) and the closer it gets the more nervous i get. I'll probably be alright once I get going tho.

hdowney wrote: »
    Crikey. I am getting a lil scared now of the 40+ hours thing. EEP. I am starting that course in september (deffered from last year) and the closer it gets the more nervous i get. I'll probably be alright once I get going tho.

hi, oops sorry didnt mean to scare you. The course is hard, Im not going to lie but once you get into the swing of things you will be fine.

The two years I spent in Tallaght doing the chef course were actaully alot of fun. Due to the intensity and sometimes stressful practical classes, you will bond really well with your classmates.

The course is designed to show you what its really like out in industry so not only do you do all the theory stuff, like learning the process of cooking, ie baking, boiling, roasting etc, in the training restaurant kitchen you also get to experience a real life working kitchen.

The hours are long , and dont expect to be a college party animal, cos just like in the real world of restaurants and hotels, you will be working when everyone else is having fun.

Stick with the course, because the little piece of paper at the end of 2 years which says you have completed the Professional Cookery Course, is like a passport. With it you can travel all over the world and have soo many job opportunities.

The course though is just the start, it just gives you the basics and a good solid grounding in the chef world. To progress in your career as a chef, you will need to work your way up, learning from every chef you work with, every kitchen is a new experience, and eventually you could just one day own your own buisness.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

It's a good job I am not a real party animal then!!! I go out now and then but I'd rather make sure I am stuck into the work. I guess I am just a lil aprehensive cos it is getting closer and closer!!!

Also I am much more confident at the practical elements than the bookish parts, never been a bookish studier!!!

Ah well I am sure it is going to be brilliant :)

Advertisement